Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
makelsey

Birth control and Bactrim DS

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me please. I was just prescribed a RX for Bactrim DS (2x daily) for my acne. I take Aviane (birth control) and I am sexually active and in a monogamous relationship. I will be taking the Bactrim long-term and I am worried about it decreasing the effectiveness of my birth control. Do I really need to use a second form of birth control or is the risk exaggerated? I do not want to get pregnant but I also don't want to have to use condoms and birth control for the next 6 months. Thank you very much for your help.

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me please. I was just prescribed a RX for Bactrim DS (2x daily) for my acne. I take Aviane (birth control) and I am sexually active and in a monogamous relationship. I will be taking the Bactrim long-term and I am worried about it decreasing the effectiveness of my birth control. Do I really need to use a second form of birth control or is the risk exaggerated? I do not want to get pregnant but I also don't want to have to use condoms and birth control for the next 6 months. Thank you very much for your help.

I was thinking the same thing. Are you taking BC pills for hormonal acne? I take 75mg of doxy once a day and I also started Ortho Tri Cyclen for hormonal acne. I immediately told my boyfriend about combining the two. So unfortunately…. yeah to be 100% safe you should use another form of BC. I also take them separately, one in the morning and the other one at night (I don’t think it makes a difference but…why not)

I was thinking the same thing. Are you taking BC pills for hormonal acne? I take 75mg of doxy once a day and I also started Ortho Tri Cyclen for hormonal acne. I immediately told my boyfriend about combining the two. So unfortunately…. yeah to be 100% safe you should use another form of BC. I also take them separately, one in the morning and the other one at night (I don’t think it makes a difference but…why not)

I don't take the BC for the acne, I started taking it originally as contraception. Yeah, I have read that the chances are low that combining will lower the birth control's effectiveness, but I guess it isn't worth taking chances when it comes to pregnancy...