Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cookie_mistress

My new diet for happy skin

I've decided to tweak my diet somewhat, and I'm also going to stop posting what I eat every single day, because I think it's getting a bit tedious!

Breakfast

Will be 1/3c rolled oats with 1dsp linseed (flaxseed - for the omega-3 we apparently need) plus cinnamon, 1T of sultanas or coconut or if not 1/2t sweetener eg maple syrup. Made with 1/2c rice/oat/soy milk and water.

Snacks

I am reducing my trail mix to 2 brazil nuts, 4 almonds, 2 dried apricots and 1t sunflower seeds. I am not necessarily going to eat this every day, esp if I have peanut butter on toast for lunch. Other snacks will be either apples or pears.

Lunch

Always a problem for me, since I can't usually be bothered cooking anything exciting. Will probably be toast/ryvita/rice cakes with either avocado and eggs, PB or sardines, maybe leftovers if I have any.

Dinner

I think my dinners have been pretty healthy, so I'm not going to change much here. Lots of brown rice, wholemeal pasta, lentils and meat 2-3 times per week. Lots of veg.

Foods I am actively avoiding are dairy, bananas and fresh tomatoes. Am trying to cut down on the nuts, but I do need them for low-GI snacks.

I'll post regular updates to let you know how I am getting on.

Really enjoying reading your log, you should probably think about writing a healthy skin recipe book! Ive taken a few notes of your meals and Im gonna give it a go!

Reading about your progress is NEVER tedious so keep up the good work and please continue to share :)

Righto, thought I should check in and let you know how I'm getting on.

Breakfast all week has been 1/4c rolled oats cooked in 1/2c soy or oat milk and 1/4c water, with 1T milled linseed/flaxseed added after heating (apparently you're not supposed to cook linseed as it does something funky to the fats?!?) along with 1T coconut or sultanas. Except this morning I wanted cold cereal so I had a cup of Bran Flakes with some sultanas and rice milk.

Lunch has mostly been peanut butter or egg and avocado on toast, except for my one day of procrastination (I have a big essay due) when I went into town and bought one of those yummy carob flax hemp seed bars...and some parsnip chips. And I had a lunchtime coffee (I am down to one coffee a day, my morning wakeup brew! well done me!).

Dinner. This is where it gets interesting. On Monday I made a most magnificent Moroccan lamb stew. Cooked with a LOT of spices, it also had sweet potato and tomatoes. I said I wasn't going to eat tomatoes this week but I didn't want to throw my last 2 out. Anyway. I ate the stew on Mon and Tues. I didn't get any new spots, however the existing spots were really quite red and angry looking until Thursday. Now, my friend who knows a little about Chinese medicine advised me a couple of weeks ago that I shouldn't eat spicy foods. Maybe there's something in that? Anyway, whatever it was it didn't help my skin situation. Wednesday was a simple pasta with sardines and green veg. Thursday I broke the no dairy rule by eating lasagne I froze ages ago (made with tomato sauce...I guess I broke the tomato rule too). The cheese sauce was made with soy milk but each serving had 25g of mature dairy cheese in it (since I won't eat soy "cheese"). The next morning I had my typical cheese reaction (4 small pustules, easily dispatched if one is so inclined but I was good and let them be). Friday I was going to make chilli but then I remembered the tomato rule so I made a bean soup of sorts. Well, if anything it must have been healthy because it was pretty tasteless! Saturday I decided to eat the last of the lasagne for lunch, so I could see the cheese reaction over the course of the afternoon. After a couple of hours the skin around my nose got really itchy and by the evening I had more small spots. I had calming lentil and barley soup for dinner that night. Today I made pizza, but mindful of the no tomato rule I spread the base with cooked butternut squash, which I topped with defrosted and slightly heated no-meatloaf, and mushrooms, peppers and olives (oh and a couple of sundried tomatoes...which are not the same as tomatoes right? whoops...he he he). It was divine. I may have to post a photo.

Today, although I still have a lot of papules under my chin and red marks, my skin is nowhere near as inflamed as it has been since last week. This week I have eaten less almonds and brazil nuts however my PB consumption has been at its usual level. I completely avoided bananas, and will continue to do so next week. Unfortunately as it was a lovely sunny day here I had an ice cream, and then a packet of maltesers at the cinema. No comment.

For the coming week I will continue with breakfasts, lunches and snacks as usual. For my dinners I will go plain ie no spice/sauce to see how that affects inflammation. I will also keep drinking fruit and herbal teas instead of a second or third cup of coffee. And finally I will make a better effort to resist the temptation of ice cream on a glorious spring day. I hope week 4 will see fewer eruptions and more healing.

Howdy peeps! I had to try and reduce the interwebbing for a while - I'm at uni and have had to try and use the laptop for schoolwork rather than pursuing my own interests. Ha ha, yeah...

I wanted to pop in and say that after weeks of trying to stick to a diet of sorts, I do appear to be having some success. Skin redness is way down, and new spots only seem to crop up if I've been really naughty (like the day I had a huge but delicious ice cream and a big bag of M&Ms - got what I deserved really!).

I'd had a problem with small, stubborn spots on my jawline, but these have mainly gone now. I also used to get spots coming up in the same place but *touch wood* this hasn't happened for a couple of weeks. I'm still getting a few small pimples but they're disappearing a lot faster than they were previously.

When I was consuming the diet posted above I was still getting quite a few papules and pustules, and was getting pretty fed up. My diet has slightly changed since then. One major thing, which a few people had suggested, is that I decided to cut down on the nuts. I was eating them every day for snacks, and often had peanut butter on toast for lunch. I actually ran out of nuts and decided not to buy any more to see if my skin improved. Well, I believe it has! I also cut way down on the PB (I let myself have it once a week) and the only nuts I have are the odd ones that crop up in my muesli (I haven't counted them but I think I get maybe an almond and a hazelnut per serving, and I eat this every second day). I also haven't touched bananas or oranges, and am really trying hard to avoid sugary food, such as my delectable oatmeal raisin cookies...sigh! I've also cut down on toast in general, since it's always asking for butter and jam, which I know don't help!

I've been wondering if my skin has been reacting to the fact that I (did) eat many of the same foods, day-in, day-out, perhaps inducing an immune system reaction? I ate a banana a day for years, until I became intolerant (stomach cramps) and stopped eating them for 2 years. In that 2 years I still had bad skin (due to other factors...was certainly not eating the same diet I am now!), but now that I can stomach bananas again, they appear to have a negative effect on my skin. I hope this will eventually resolve itself and I can have the odd banana again!

Anyway, I am going to keep up the diet which is:

Breakfast: either 1/4c rolled oats w 1/2c rice/oat/soy milk (and water), 1T dried coconut, 1T flaxseed plus dried fruit or 1/2c sugar-free muesli w 1/2c milk and flaxseed

Lunch and dinner: I try to cook both meals so I don't fall back into a lazy peanut butter on toast routine: oily fish twice a week; meat (lean ground beef, lamb, pork tenderloins, chicken or turkey) 2-3x per week, cooked plain or in sauce/marinade with no added sugar; lentils, split peas, chickpeas; brown rice, pot barley, cous cous, quinoa or wholewheat pasta to accompany; LOTS of fresh veg, esp the green leafy stuff.

Snacks: soy yoghurt (I was trying to avoid soy but we're friends again), apples, pears, oatcakes, 9 bars (pumpkin and sunflower seeds...some sugar...a post-gym treat!)

Very little dairy apart from my week lycappuccino

Oh yeah that reminds me, I appear to be able to eat both unpasteurised and pasteurised farmers' market cheese without getting my cheese pimples! This is quite exciting - I currently have some unpasteurised supermarket branded cheese in the fridge and can't wait to see if it will be kind to me.

So that's my update. I'd like to tell those who are frustrated with lack of improvement to not give up. Continue tweaking your diet and you may find the unexpected food that is causing you problems.

That's great news!! I took an internet hiatus too. Haha. I'm glad that you pinpointed the nuts and bananas. I'm the same with those foods. Also, avocados and dairy give me pimples. Keep up the dietary investigation!

I don't know if its just me, but I'd rather eat whatever I want and stay on the BP regimen then stick to a diet just to clear my face.

That's great news!! I took an internet hiatus too. Haha. I'm glad that you pinpointed the nuts and bananas. I'm the same with those foods. Also, avocados and dairy give me pimples. Keep up the dietary investigation!

Will do! Thanks for your ongoing support n_p :)

I forgot to add that tomatoes are also on the “eat rarely” list. I made delicious chilli for lunch today but I can see little red spots cropping up. I’m going out for Italian tomorrow night and will want to avoid both creamy and tomato sauces. Could be a bit of a challenge!

I don't know if its just me, but I'd rather eat whatever I want and stay on the BP regimen then stick to a diet just to clear my face.

I did BP years ago. Made my skin really red, did not give a long-lasting result, and bleached all my bedding. Not for me. But if it works for you then go ahead and eat what you want – maybe eat peanut butter and banana on a cinnamon bagel for me while you’re at it!

Unfortunately, it's not just you. Few people are interested in learning just how incredibly bad their diets are and what it's doing to them. Hence the increase in acne, diabetes, obesity, cardio-vascular diseases, etc.

But I would rather eat well which does far more important things for me than clear my face. Also, when I used BP years ago, it did not help. It's also damaging and increases scars and hyperpigmentation.

And good luck cookie. Try this for an oatmeal cookie:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2576518 And there are lots of other good ideas and recipes here.

I second Alterativista. In truth, the BP regimen just never really worked for me. I would still break out! This forced me to reevaluate my diet, and now I'm actually grateful for that.

Also, good to know about the tomatoes, cookie mistress... I have been avoiding them as well, but more because I would get cracks in my lips if I ate things with too much. Now that I think about it, those cracks were also accompanied by acne!

Also, good to know about the tomatoes, cookie mistress... I have been avoiding them as well, but more because I would get cracks in my lips if I ate things with too much. Now that I think about it, those cracks were also accompanied by acne!

If you have a problem with tomatoes, you might also want to try avoiding other nightshades which includes eggplants and all peppers, so may also mean tobasco, paprika and other spices and condiments.

Here's my two cents:

You said you took antibiotics many times, birth control, and accutane. I'm thinking maybe you are suffering from Candida (yeast infection). Research that and see what you come up with. I see your diet still involves high carbs and sugars, that feeds yeast which would result in more skin eruptions.

Hope you find a cure,

Jeff