Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cookie_mistress

My new diet for happy skin

Hi there. I’m a long-time lurker on these boards and have finally decided to go public with my latest efforts to try and fix my skin, because if it’s out in the open maybe I’ll stick to my new regimen!

I’m 29 and have suffered from acne since I was 12 or 13. I have tried antibiotics (many times over the last 13 years), benzoyl peroxide, Diane-35 and normal OCs, Roaccutane, Isotrexin and Zineryt. Most of these have worked for a short time, then the little b&%$*^d spots come back!

I believe that my acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance, and I’m quite convinced that my diet plays a huge part in that.

I know that dairy contributes to my acne. Years ago I read one of those articles on the acne-dairy link, and I decided to try and see if dairy affected my skin. I gave up my daily 200ml serving of calcium-enriched milk and my pot of yoghurt, and within a week the horrible, painful deep cysts on/under my jawline had disappeared. My diet has been 95% dairy-free for almost 7 years, and the really bad cysts have been kept at bay. If I eat cheese I get tiny pustules within 12 hours.

So, that’s the painful cysts gone, but the rest of my face is a bit of a mess at the moment. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and if I overindulge I definitely break out. Most of the spots you can see in the pics (see link below) are the result of bingeing on (homemade) cookies and banana bread. Note the bread was low in added sugar but high in very ripe bananas ie fructose. I have put on a bit of weight since returning to study, so my latest effort at cleansing my skin is really about getting my whole body back on track.

I generally eat a fairly healthy diet however am always sabotaging it with some sort of junk food (because I’m a regular gym-goer I think I can get away with it!). I am going to use this blog to document what I have been eating, and to hopefully stick to a healthy, unprocessed diet for once in my life!

All questions/constructive comments welcome!

?action=view&current=spotsontheleft.jpg

?action=view&current=spotsontheright.jpg

Day 1 – 21.02.09

Breakfast

1/3-1/2 cup porridge organic oats made with water, 1T shredded coconut, handful blueberries

Cup black filter coffee

Cup water

Went to the gym (weights)

Snack

6 almonds, 4 dried apricots

Cup water

Lunch

2 slices whole-wheat toast, 1 slice rye bread, very lightly buttered, with 2 egg omelette cooked with 1t Anchor butter (Anchor is 58% free-range butter, 38% oil, and water).

Alpro soy yoghurt

Cup coffee

Cup water

Snack

Apple

Cup water

Dinner

Baked potato with wilted baby spinach covered with sautéed butter beans, carrots, mushrooms and onion mixed with 1t curry powder. Delish!

Alpro soy yoghurt

Calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement

Hi I was reading on your post and I have some comments.

I have in the past 2 years develop cystic acnes mainly along my jaw lines, hair lines.

These are stubborn cysts that is fat and inflamed and sometimes would not go away.

I don't drink dairy at all b/c i'm lactose. i rarely eat yoghurt/cheese.

however i find that each time i eat peanuts/peanut products and EGGS, i break out cysts.

i am quite healthy. i drink daily pure (I juice myself) carrot juice, mixed with strawberries, apples and tomatoes. sometimes i drink twice a day.

my face is super super oily. no products including high strength Benzoyl Peroxide has helped curb my oil production.

However recently i began a new regimen...after reading several posts on Acne.org.

after I wash my face with Basis Bar soap for sensitive skin, I apply Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar directly on my face.

After my face dries up, I then apply Benzoyl Peroxide 5%, then apply moisturizer.

Amazingly my face is dry now. Not as oily.

I'm just hoping my cystic acne will stop coming as they are big and it's very embarassing.

I also use YoungBlood Cosmetics Mineral Loose powder to hide my redness from acnes.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi there. I’m a long-time lurker on these boards and have finally decided to go public with my latest efforts to try and fix my skin, because if it’s out in the open maybe I’ll stick to my new regimen!

I’m 29 and have suffered from acne since I was 12 or 13. I have tried antibiotics (many times over the last 13 years), benzoyl peroxide, Diane-35 and normal OCs, Roaccutane, Isotrexin and Zineryt. Most of these have worked for a short time, then the little b&%$*^d spots come back!

I believe that my acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance, and I’m quite convinced that my diet plays a huge part in that.

I know that dairy contributes to my acne. Years ago I read one of those articles on the acne-dairy link, and I decided to try and see if dairy affected my skin. I gave up my daily 200ml serving of calcium-enriched milk and my pot of yoghurt, and within a week the horrible, painful deep cysts on/under my jawline had disappeared. My diet has been 95% dairy-free for almost 7 years, and the really bad cysts have been kept at bay. If I eat cheese I get tiny pustules within 12 hours.

So, that’s the painful cysts gone, but the rest of my face is a bit of a mess at the moment. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and if I overindulge I definitely break out. Most of the spots you can see in the pics (see link below) are the result of bingeing on (homemade) cookies and banana bread. Note the bread was low in added sugar but high in very ripe bananas ie fructose. I have put on a bit of weight since returning to study, so my latest effort at cleansing my skin is really about getting my whole body back on track.

I generally eat a fairly healthy diet however am always sabotaging it with some sort of junk food (because I’m a regular gym-goer I think I can get away with it!). I am going to use this blog to document what I have been eating, and to hopefully stick to a healthy, unprocessed diet for once in my life!

All questions/constructive comments welcome!

?action=view&current=spotsontheleft.jpg

?action=view&current=spotsontheright.jpg

Day 1 – 21.02.09

Breakfast

1/3-1/2 cup porridge organic oats made with water, 1T shredded coconut, handful blueberries

Cup black filter coffee

Cup water

Went to the gym (weights)

Snack

6 almonds, 4 dried apricots

Cup water

Lunch

2 slices whole-wheat toast, 1 slice rye bread, very lightly buttered, with 2 egg omelette cooked with 1t Anchor butter (Anchor is 58% free-range butter, 38% oil, and water).

Alpro soy yoghurt

Cup coffee

Cup water

Snack

Apple

Cup water

Dinner

Baked potato with wilted baby spinach covered with sautéed butter beans, carrots, mushrooms and onion mixed with 1t curry powder. Delish!

Alpro soy yoghurt

Calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement

Um, can't really help you there, I'm not familiar with any of those products and have not had any long term success with topical products myself. You may want to try and eliminate other foods such as some of the fruits you juice, especially strawberries. Since peanuts and eggs are very common food allergens I would also suggest going for a food allergy test. It may reveal hidden food allergies which may be causing your cysts.

Anyway, back to my diet!

Day 2 – 22.02.09

Breakfast

1/2 cup organic oats made with water, 1T shredded coconut, handful blueberries

2 cups black filter coffee and a cup of water

Snack

Pear, cup water

Lunch

2 slices whole-wheat toast, topped with avocado and scrambled egg (cooked in 1t Anchor).

Snack

6 almonds, 4 dried apricots, cup water

Dinner

No-meat loaf (lentils, rice, carrots, parsnip, butter beans, garlic, onions, oats, herbs), spinach and broccoli

Apple

Urghhh, my skin was sooo greasy by the end of the day, which was slightly disheartening, but I was pleased with myself for eating well.

fyi I am actively avoiding dairy and oranges, and am keeping meat to no more than 2 servings per week (organic where possible). I'm a student so it's mostly gonna be cheap and easy ie rice, pasta, beans, lentils etc.

Day 3

Breakfast

1 cup Kelloggs Fruit n Fibre (yes I like my cereal!) + ¾ cup oat milk, cup coffee

Snack

Apple, coffee (I’m tired today!), cup water

Gym (cardio)

Lunch

6 rice cakes with peanut butter, pear, 6 dried apicots, pear

Snack

8 almonds, cup water, natural fruit bar thingy (dates, bananas etc, yummy but hopefully not too naughty?!)

Dinner

No-meat loaf, baked potato, corn

Apple

So, today was heavy on the carbs, so probably not the best, but my skin felt really nice by the evening, no grease at all.

Just a comment. You mentioned binging on cookies and such. I just want to make sure you know that you need to not binge on anything. Even on supposedly healthy or low GI foods. Excessive calories will have the same effect.

Good luck.

Just a comment. You mentioned binging on cookies and such. I just want to make sure you know that you need to not binge on anything. Even on supposedly healthy or low GI foods. Excessive calories will have the same effect.

Good luck.

Thanks, I know I shouldn't binge on anything- have my waistline to remind me of that! I do love food, and I have a sweet tooth, and particularly when I am stressed or have an assignment to do I find myself eating, not because I am hungry but because I just like the taste of food! I don't think this regimen is particularly calorific. I am not counting calories, even though I am trying to lose 5kg, but am instead focusing on keeping my food intake in check and eating unprocessed foods.

have you tried eliminating nuts? They seem to be a problem for me...good luck

I go through periods of eating a lot of nuts and then none at all, and don't think they affect my skin but then I can't be sure. At the moment I am monitoring my nut intake but do plan to eat them daily. If I don't see an improvement in my skin after 2 weeks I think I may cut them out, as a few people have mentioned they cause problems.

Thanks for your input!

Day 4

I already admit that it does not end on a very good note, but it could have been worse! Also I had a couple more spots this morning. I have no idea where my period is so don't know whether to blame them on the time of the month or something I ate. Oh well, am not going to agonise over it!

Breakfast

1 cup Kelloggs Bran Flakes + ¾ cup oat milk; cup coffee

Gym (weights)

Snack

Pear; peppermint tea

Pre-lunch

3 slices wholemeal bread, scrape of Anchor and vegemite; coffee

Lunch

Quinoa with lemon pepper grilled sardines and corn

Dinner

Pancakes made with 1c flour, 1T sugar, pinch salt, egg, 1c coconut milk, 1T melted butter, 1/2t vanilla, grated lemon rind, and filled with coconut, sultanas, spices and a sprinkle of sugar. It’s Pancake Day, I had to indulge! And they were gooooood!

Apple; cup of water with my Ca, Mg, Zn supplement; 4 brazil nuts, 1t sunflower seeds; apple and camomile tea

I go through periods of eating a lot of nuts and then none at all, and don't think they affect my skin but then I can't be sure.

One reason I hate the whole game of chasing "food allergies" is that you just don't know what's in your foods. For example, if your almonds this week came from a farmer who used copper as a fungicide, then they might be a lousy source of zinc, whereas the almonds you ate last week came from a different farmer and were a great source of zinc. Etc. I suspect very few people actually have acne caused by a food allergy, apart from dairy, which isn't really an allergy at all but more likely just a extra source of hormones that are directly implicated in acne.

If you start looking for ideas, here's some:

• Try keeping the bulk of your glycemic load to before 2pm, where it is unlikely to affect the amount of circulating tryptophan around in the evening that has to try to cross into the brain (becoming the raw material for making your melatonin that night). Circulating fructose (which can come from lots of "healthy" carbs, not just the dreaded "high fructose corn syrup") may bind with tryptophan and keep it from getting into the brain. If you eat meat, it's easy: just be an Atkins person after 2pm. :-).
  • Try to move your exercise to evening, and do it on an empty stomach. E.g., aerobic-type exercise at 6pm before your final meal. Again, the goal is a healthy nocturnal melatonin surge, and the exercise can help move tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier. If you're close to normal, your tryptophan levels should be somewhere near their daily peak in the evening, that's where the timing comes from.
  • Sleep in a pitch-black darkened bedroom, and go to bed early enough that you get >=8 hours sleep before light starts to creep in and shut down your melatonin. I.e., if you wake up after 8 hours and you can read a book without turning on the lights, you didn't go to bed nearly early enough :-) Paying attention to the details of your sleep cycle may be at least as important as paying attention to what you eat. My local breast cancer doctor has become so concerned with melatonin, he doesn't even allow any device with a glowing LED in the bedroom, and if he has to get up to go to the bathroom in the night, he does it without turning on any lights.
I suspect the reason increased zinc status is both correlated with less acne and yet doesn't help everyone is that its interaction with melatonin is crucial for preventing acne. Having a normal melatonin cycle is something that's hard in modern life, because we like to stay up late and artificial light (which can be very effective at shutting down melatonin for most people) is everywhere.

Also, zinc and copper probably compete for absorption in the intestine, so eating foods in which copper content dominates the zinc content (e.g., sunflower seeds, brazil nuts) anywhere near the time you're taking a zinc pill may be working at cross purposes.

Guest Sonny Dais

WOW! we're just alike when it comes to dairy and fructose. i too have the same problem. but like you said you just avoid those foods and you're fine. it's just simple food allergies. every allergy doesn't have to result in anaphylactic shock. simple pimples or hives are indications of an allergy.

i will point out that if you do have a problem with dairy it should be all dairy. lactose intolerant peole cannot consume ANY dairy. but you can be allergic to milk, but not cheese because of the curing and cooking process to make cheese. the lactase is less when it's cooked. so i hope everyone understands that. it's very important that if you are lactose intolerant that you do not consume dairy unless you take a supplement to aid in the digestion. if not you can be doing irreversible damage to your intestinal tract.

also the same with fructose. you can have hereditary fructose intolerance, which means a parent had it and now you do. it can seriously result in kidney or liver damage. do your research to find out what it is that one needs to do to be safe. i have fructose malabsorption. the risk are minimum, just inflammation of the skin in my case.

even though it's a work in progress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

has a lot of good info on fructose and how to test for it to see if it is in fact a problem in your life. it also has a list of what foods are high in it. sometimes we can suffer from coeliac disease. really good info. listen to what your body is saying. a few pimples could be the precursor to even larger problems. it's crazy how much better your skin will do once you change your diet. it can't get much cheaperor easierthan that.

• Try keeping the bulk of your glycemic load to before 2pm
  • Try to move your exercise to evening, and do it on an empty stomach
  • Sleep in a pitch-black darkened bedroom, and go to bed early enough that you get >=8 hours sleep before light starts to creep in and shut down your melatonin

Thanks for those tips databased. Unfortunately my eating routine is dictated by my class schedule and when I can get in the kitchen to cook. I don’t eat a lot of meat for health/ethical/financial reasons but I will try to eat earlier in the evening perhaps. I generally eat brown rice, whole-wheat pasta and other lower GI grains so hopefully that helps. As for exercise, I usually do cardio in the evening after class and before dinner. I live in student housing so sleep is never very good. My room is quite dark but it is very warm, so I have to sleep with the window open and get kept awake by noisy people!

Also, zinc and copper probably compete for absorption in the intestine, so eating foods in which copper content dominates the zinc content (e.g., sunflower seeds, brazil nuts) anywhere near the time you're taking a zinc pill may be working at cross purposes.

I generally take my zinc pill in the evening, after I’ve eaten dinner.

i will point out that if you do have a problem with dairy it should be all dairy. lactose intolerant peole cannot consume ANY dairy.

listen to what your body is saying. a few pimples could be the precursor to even larger problems. it's crazy how much better your skin will do once you change your diet. it can't get much cheaperor easierthan that.

What I find interesting is that different people seem to have different trigger foods, and someone said earlier, the problems with trying to work out exactly what is causing the problem is that we don’t always know what is in our foods or how they were grown.

I am not lactose intolerant, although I have had a bout of intolerance in the past, after I gave up dairy (so, my body stopped producing as much lactase) then overdosed on it after having my wisdom teeth out (surgeon recommended high energy, creamy foods. Boy did my gut suffer, but my ironically my skin wasn’t too bad!). If I eat cheese I get an almost immediate reaction, usually a tingling around my nose. I will get a spot or 2 between 1-12 hours later. These are usually around my nose or lips.

I usually eat a banana a day and have done so for many years. I will buy a week’s worth so they’re kinda hard at the beginning of the week but are then quite ripe (sweet) by the end. I don’t think bananas are a problem for me per se, it was more eating too much banana bread with all the extra sugar and starches that wasn’t so good for my skin last week. I actually couldn’t eat them for about 3 years because they gave me really bad stomach cramps, and I still had acne during this time. This week I haven’t eaten any because I forgot to buy them at the start of the week, but they will probably be back on the menu next week.

My skin was fairly well-behaved when I used isotrex gel, regardless of what I ate (unless I ate something really bad!). The reason I am not still using the gel is because I didn’t want to be using topicals indefinitely, but also because I have a few whiteheads and tiny blackheads on my back and shoulders which have cropped up since I went back to university and have changed my exercise and eating routine. This diet is about getting my whole body back on track before I consider any further interventions.

I really appreciate all your comments guys!

Day 5

After the delicious pancakes I noticed a couple of spots coming up on my forehead but they didn’t come to anything. The ones I had at the beginning of the week are still there though. Hmmm. I really don’t want to agonise over every spot!

Breakfast

1 cup Kelloggs Bran Flakes, 1T sultanas + 1/2 cup oat milk; cup coffee

Gym (yoga)

Snack

2 rice cakes with peanut butter, water

Lunch

Instant miso soup with noodles; 4 dried apricots, 4 brazil nuts, 1t sunflower seeds; water; cup coffee

Snack

4 dried apricots, 4 brazil nuts, 6 almonds; water

Dinner

Potato wedges with guacamole of sorts (med avocado, half red pepper some crushed garlic, lime juice and a sprinkling of chilli powder); raw carrot

If anyone has any ideas for low GI snacks they'd be very welcome. I think I might have a go making my own muesli/granola bars, but I have difficulty exercising self-control when I bake. I suppose if I overdo it I will have to fess up on here, so maybe I can do it!?

Hi! It's great to find another person here to give respect to his/her body! Especially not putting craps on your face and in your body.

I hope you find this blog interesting: acneisdead

Day 6

Have decided to cut down on the size of my coffeesby 50ml as I think my caffeine tolerance has reduced with my food intake.

Breakfast

1/3 c (dry weight) porridge oats, made with ½ c oat milk and 1/2 c water + 1T sultanas; cup coffee

Cup weak black tea with lemon

Lunch

2 slices vegemite on wholemeal toast (with scraping of Anchor), 1 slice PB on toast; pear; water

Snack

Whoa, blood sugar totally dipped 2 hours after lunch so I had 2 more slices of toast with a thin scraping of Anchor and strawberry jam (jelly); 6 almonds; water

Dinner

Lamb and mushroom curry with additional stir-fired red pepper, carrots and broccoli, served on a bed of pot barley (weird I know, but I saw it in a vegan cookbook); apple and oatmilk cocoa for dessert.

I will objectively assess the state of my skin on the weekend. I refuse to let the fact that I am yet to see any improvement bother me! I know these things take time.

Day 6

Have decided to cut down on the size of my coffeesby 50ml as I think my caffeine tolerance has reduced with my food intake.

Breakfast

1/3 c (dry weight) porridge oats, made with ½ c oat milk and 1/2 c water + 1T sultanas; cup coffee

Cup weak black tea with lemon

Lunch

2 slices vegemite on wholemeal toast (with scraping of Anchor), 1 slice PB on toast; pear; water

Snack

Whoa, blood sugar totally dipped 2 hours after lunch so I had 2 more slices of toast with a thin scraping of Anchor and strawberry jam (jelly); 6 almonds; water

Dinner

Lamb and mushroom curry with additional stir-fired red pepper, carrots and broccoli, served on a bed of pot barley (weird I know, but I saw it in a vegan cookbook); apple and oatmilk cocoa for dessert.

I will objectively assess the state of my skin on the weekend. I refuse to let the fact that I am yet to see any improvement bother me! I know these things take time.

Don't despair yet! It took 1 week to see some results when I cut out dairy and 2 weeks to see significant results...so definitely give it another week or two before tweaking things. If you don't see improvements then, though, think about other foods that may be causing problems. I tried oat milk before, but it's really sugary isn't it? I don't find sugar to be a huge problem for me personally, but it can cause acne for some people. Also as I mentioned before, I would try cutting out nuts as well if you don't see improvements soon. (at this point I have a fruit and nut bar or peanut butter and jelly sandwich once in a while, I just make sure not to have nuts too often). Another potential culprit is that black coffee you're drinking...you might want to try tea instead.

Also, you mentioned that you do have a topical that works really well for you, so you always have that to fall back on. I personally decided to use topicals along with diet because i found the really strict diet thing too stressful (not to mention that without topicals, it just didn't do it for me...but maybe with more experimentation?)...

One more thing, since you are in school, stress might be a factor for you. I know that if I get really stressed (i mean really really stressed, which is just not healthy in general), I inevitably break out. I find that running (or cardio, which I think you're already doing) and doing other things which i find relaxing (along with trying to think positively and not allow myself to get too stressed) is really important for me.

good luck

there's just one thing i noticed about your diet, its the coffee.. I know coffee breaks me out like no body's business. I would drink green tea instead :angel:

i would love to try to diet to help out my skin, but i have such a fast metabolism that i have to eat all day :(

Noooo, don't take away my coffee!!!!!! In all seriousness, I drink it more out of habit than anything else, and I have gone through periods of not drinking it at all so I know I can cut right back. This has been something I have been considering for a while and I'm going down to one cup from Monday!

I have been away for the weekend and have consumed a few naughty things such 3 or 4 (I can't remember...) pints of beer (and some whiskey), and a bag of Doritos and a chocolate bar later in the evening to prevent a hangover the next day (always works for me!). A walk through a fabulous food market the next day involved consumption of 2 cappuccinos (organic milk though...), a chocolate brownie AND a shortbread cookie.

My skin does not appear to have suffered from my weekend of excess but sometimes it does take another day before the enemy makes its appearance. I was fairly well behaved today though:

Day 9

Breakfast

1/3 cup organic oats made with 1/2c rice milk and 1/2c water, 1T shredded coconut, sultanas; black coffee; water

Snack

Handful of grapes

Lunch

Seeded bread french toast (2 eggs, rice milk) with maple syrup

Snack

Pear; water

Dinner

Onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and broccoli stir fry on brown rice; cocoa with rice milk

Don't despair yet! It took 1 week to see some results when I cut out dairy and 2 weeks to see significant results...so definitely give it another week or two before tweaking things. If you don't see improvements then, though, think about other foods that may be causing problems. I tried oat milk before, but it's really sugary isn't it? I don't find sugar to be a huge problem for me personally, but it can cause acne for some people. Also as I mentioned before, I would try cutting out nuts as well if you don't see improvements soon. (at this point I have a fruit and nut bar or peanut butter and jelly sandwich once in a while, I just make sure not to have nuts too often). Another potential culprit is that black coffee you're drinking...you might want to try tea instead.

Also, you mentioned that you do have a topical that works really well for you, so you always have that to fall back on. I personally decided to use topicals along with diet because i found the really strict diet thing too stressful (not to mention that without topicals, it just didn't do it for me...but maybe with more experimentation?)...

One more thing, since you are in school, stress might be a factor for you. I know that if I get really stressed (i mean really really stressed, which is just not healthy in general), I inevitably break out. I find that running (or cardio, which I think you're already doing) and doing other things which i find relaxing (along with trying to think positively and not allow myself to get too stressed) is really important for me.

good luck

Thanks for your words of advice and support. I am going to stick to the same diet for the coming week and see what improvement if any occurs by the end of it. Then I will tweak, nuts being the obvious thing to cut out I guess (I really do love my PB though!). The oat milk I have been having is not very sugary, but this week I am on rice milk which is naturally sweet, so I am going to watch what I have it with.

My skin was pretty much kept in check by a combination of Zineryt in the morning and Isotrex gel in the evening, but then I went travelling, then moved to a new city to go to uni so didn’t get a new prescription. My new GP seems quite useless. I asked to be referred to a derm or endocrinologist but he just gave me a script for antibiotics (which I did not fill!). I’m going to try this diet for a month, and if I don’t see any good improvement I’ll go back to him and demand the treatments I know will help. I don’t want to have to rely on pharmaceuticals but as you say, it’s less stress that trying to stick to a strict diet (and beating myself up when I slip up!).

I do get stressed, and so it is really important to me that I make time to do the things I enjoy, which are to exercise and to cook…and bake cookies!!!!!

Day 10

Breakfast

1c bran flakes with 1T sultanas and 1/2c rice milk; coffee

Snack

1t sunflower seeds with 3 brazils, 6 almonds, 4 dried apricots; handful grapes

Gym (cardio)

Lunch

2 slices PB and banana on toast; apple; fruit bar

Snack

Pear

Dinner

Polenta with stirfried mushrooms. Polenta was a bit of a disaster!

Dessert

I didn’t deserve it but I sampled an oatmeal raisin cookie from a batch I made for a classmate. Also had rice milk cocoa. I need to stay up late to work on an assignment. Excuses, excuses...

Today was heavy on the fruit and not enough veg, I will make up for it tomorrow.

The weekend’s excesses have shown up as a small crop of small spots in various places but nothing as bad as what I had a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed I have no surprises tomorrow!

Day 11

Breakfast

1/3c organic porridge oats with 1/2c soy milk, 1/2c water, 1T coconut and 1t strawberry conserve; coffee

Gym (cardio and body balance)

Snack

6 almonds, 3 brazils, 4 dried apricots and 1t sunflower seeds; water

Lunch

2 slices whole-wheat toast with avocado and egg; apple; coffee

Snack

Handful of grapes; peppermint tea

Dinner

Homemade pizza: yeast-free base topped with roasted veggies (no cheese). Yum!

Cinnamon and apple tea; water

Still getting more small spots coming up. Not going to stress about it. Had 2 coffees today, although they were small.

Day 12

Breakfast

1/3c porridge oats with 1/2c soy milk, 1/2c water, 1T coconut, sprinkle flaked almonds and 1t strawb jam; coffee (this is my pre-gym breakfast, however I didn’t gym this morning…)

Snack

Homemade muesli bar (low sugar, lots of oats and dried fruit and nuts)

Lunch

3 slices PB and banana on wholemeal toast; small coffee

Snack

Another small slice of muesli bar; handful grapes; peppermint tea

Gym (cardio)

Dinner

Puy lentils cooked in stock with carrot, onion and mushrooms. Yummo.

Skin very unhappy today. A few lovely pustules and some papules along the edge of my jaw and my right cheekbone. I used a new peel-off face mask last night, maybe not such a good idea. Also I ate a lot of tomatoes yesterday. Hate trying to chase the cause, esp when there's no guarantee it is something I have eaten, so am not going to stress too much about it.

Milk is the entire reason for my acne. I gave it up last month and have not had a cyst or pimple since I stopped drinking milk. I had terrible cystic, hormonal acne and now it is totally gone. I beg everyone with hormonal acne to at least give this a try. I gave up milk only- i still eat cheese, yogurt, etc. and I have had a complete turn around with my skin. It seems to good to be true.

I haven't been on here a while for a few reasons. I really need to cut down on my internet usage as late nights on the laptop aren't helping me get to sleep. Plus I really should be concentrating on research for uni rather than acne and diet/exercise/PCOS! I am going to post a couple more food diary entries then outline my revised diet strategy.

Day 13

Breakfast

1/3c porridge oats with just under 1c soy milk and 1t maple syrup; coffee

Lunch

Wholemeal pasta with sardines and olives; apple; coffee; water

Snack

Homemade muesli bar; pear

Dinner

Lentil and barley soup (kinda the same as what I had for dinner yesterday) with 2 pieces wholemeal toast + scraping of Anchor; raspberry tea; mineola (I think this is the same as a tangelo?)

DVD snack

Handful cashews, pretzels and coconut water (I am trying to lose weight, this is not helpful!)

Yes, I had an orange today. I haven't had an orange for over 6 months, and I figured since I was having such a bad skin day it couldn't really hurt. It really hit the spot! ha ha

Day 14

Breakfast

1/3c oatso simple raspberry flavour (this has added sugar) with just under 3/4c soy milk; coffee

Lunch

100g pretzels; flax seed bar; mineola (I was eating on the run)

Run

Snack

Trail mix, apple

Dinner

3 small pieces pizza (with cheese)

Followed by a bottle red wine and some unhealthy snack foods (twigglets, peanuts, etc etc). I went around to a friend's place for dinner and drinks and didn't want to be awkward with the pizza; drinking alcohol gives me mad munchies. I need to try and find a way to drink and not go crazy on the junk food. I never used to have this problem. Mind you, it certainly prevents hangovers! It's a friend's birthday in a couple of weeks and I am going to try very hard to drink and eat more sensibly.

Day 15

Lunch

Coconut milk pancakes with 1/2T sugar sprinkled on entire batch; coffee; water

Snack

Trail mix; apple; raspberry tea

Dinner

Lentil and barley soup (kinda the same as what I had for dinner yesterday) with 2 pieces wholemeal toast + scraping of Anchor; raspberry tea

Nothing I have eaten in the last 3 days seems to have made me break out, however my skin feels and looks really inflamed, and the acne I have is not healing.