Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tommy_boi

Good SA And None SA Washes

So what cleanser is everyone using, i dont use BP on my face, at the moment i'm using the clearasil stuff which is in my regimen, does anyone know any good other cleansers that dont cause spots but might be more gentle on the skin, what are the good salicylic acid washes and what are the good none salicylic acid washes, the ones without salicylic acid will be more gentle on the skin.

I'm hearing st ives a lot recently, which one do you use, does anyone else use st ives here and love it, is it a gentle wash or a acne wash?.

Thing is you cant really use that everyday, their is a radiance blemish fighting cleanser which you can get aswell as the apricot blemish fighting scrub so might get that instead as that wont be too harsh using it everyday, what do you think, i know st ives do a apricot gentle scrub and i'm guessing that is for use everyday but that doesn't contain salicylic acid so not much use for acne prone skin.

I use the acne scrub everyday, somtimes 2x a day. I'll admit it's a little rough, but it works great on my skin. But you know your skin better than me.

I bought the scrub in the link i posted, washed with it for the first time earlier and now i've got some cystic type spots come up on my neck, do you think it would be related with the scrub, it was only like a few hours after washing with it that i got these new lumps?.

Using a SA cleanser isn't really an effective use of SA. SA takes about 30 minutes to do it's work, and with a cleanser, you're washing the active ingredient down the drain before it can get anything done.

For that reason, it's a better investment to use a treatment with SA in it, and a cleanser that simply cleanses. Effective, active acne ingredients in products that don't stay on your skin for more than a minute or so are a waste.

I agree with Mibfto. SA cleaners are just simply cleaners with SA in them, but washes away. I use shiseido gentle cleansing moose. excellent facial cleanser. You can also try cetaphil gentle facial wash or daily facial wash. Forget those SA cleansers.. no need.

SA cleansers do seem to control my spot prone skin more than just a normal gentle cleanser though, so i do believe that the SA in facial cleansers do atleast help a bit, i get more whiteheads when i'm using a none SA cleanser to than when i'm using a SA cleanser.

What works for you is what works for you, but speaking of the chemical process of SA, unless you're leaving some of the cleanser on your face, the SA itself doesn't have time to do it's thing. There could be another common ingredient in the SA cleansers you've used that's helping you.

Why do these companys advertise face washes with salicylic acid then, and they state that because it has salicylic acid in it it will help clear spots, why would they put this ingredient in if it was pointless bothering with, if it doesn't actually do nothing when you wash with it?.

To sell their products, most likely. They say "Hey, it'll help resolve your acne!!" and people buy the product. Most people don't bother to learn how a particular ingredient will help their skin, but they know certain things like SA and BP are acne fighting ingredients, so they buy products with those ingredients in them. They'll spend a fair amount of money on them, too. The fact that SA needs time to work is irrelevant to the company, because they're selling their product. And they aren't lying: their product contains SA, and SA is shown to help clear pores. It all sounds good to the masses.

Listen, you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. If you believe that a cleanser with SA is helping you, then go on with your bad self. No skin off my nose. But SA needs to be active in order to have any measurable effect, and in order for an active to do any good, it needs at least thirty minutes to work.

My advice is to drop the SA cleansers, especially if they have SLS or ALS in them, use a pH balanced cleanser that doesn't have detergents in it, and use a SA product after you cleanse, and let it work for 30 minutes before you do anything else to your skin, including moisturizer. You don't have to take that advice, but if you try it, I bet you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yeah i understand where your coming from, but in my experience when i've used a cleanser with no SA in it i've come out in more spots than i normally would do, i've tried using gentle cleansers before, like cetaphil, dove etc and my skin has always got worse so i've always gone back to SA cleansers, i know the SA cleanser i'm trying now has SLS in it but i'm not sure about ALS as i'm not sure what that stands for, but really its not about the SLS or ALS in products, its how much they use etc.

Cetaphil and Dove aren't actually "gentle" on your skin. Cetaphil for sure and I'm fairly certain Dove have Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfates in them (ALS is Ammonium Laurel/Laureth Sulfates). These are harsh detergents that are damaging to your natrual skin barrier. It's of course less damaging if it's the 5th ingredient on the list versus the second. Like with anything, different people are going to have different reactions to different ingredients. I've found, since giving up cleansers with detergents, my skin is remarkably healthier. This won't be the case for everyone, but it's certainly worth experimenting.

Cheaper cleansers (by which I'm referring to quality, not necessarily price) are likely to include detergents, as well as ingredients that aren't effective in cleansers that go down the drain after being on the skin for a minute or so. If you use a higher quality cleanser (though not necessarily much more expensive) that won't damage your skin barrier, in time your skin will be able to better protect itself.

So many products these days do as much damage as they do good. If you aren't as jaded as I am about the giant companies that sell most of the personal care products on the shelves, congrats. I just don't trust most products that are on the shelves at the drugstore any more. Too many of them are formulated with the intent of keeping the customer using the product, and not helping anyone actually solve the problem they're using the product for in the first place.

cetaphil isn't gentle, i thought it was the most gentle cleanser that i've ever used and i think a lot of people on these boards class it as a gentle cleanser too, all i can say really is when i use a gentle cleanser i breakout much much worse than when using a cleanser wtih SA in it, and its the breakouts i'm trying to stop, so i think personally i'm best using a cleanser with SA in it, even though they are more drying, i've recently started using ST. Ives face scrub with SA in it, but i think my acne is getting worse from that as i think it is just too harsh for my skin, i thought it would of helped my acne as it removes the dead skin cells with every wash and it leaves the skin very smooth and clear, but i think the harshness from the scrub is just too much and it is irritating my skin which is giving me more breakouts.

The St Ives scrubs have jagged, uneven scrubbies in them, which ultimately just doing more damage to your skin.

I realize most people think Cetaphil is gentle, which I believe is mostly because it calls itself gentle, but that doesn't make it necessarily true. There are no standards by which Cetaphil must prove that their product is gentle, they can just slap the word on there and call it what they want.

I encourage you to do your own research on the matter, if you're interested. I"m just telling you what I know and what I've experienced. Like I said before, some people do just fine with detergent cleansers. I thought I was fine with them for years, until I quit them. After about two months of going without, I tried to use one and it practically burned my face. There are much better "gentle" cleansers out there.

I do like the way the ST. Ives scrub makes my skin feel though, it doesn't dry it out or nothing, i switched back to my usual cleanser tonight and now my skin feels dry and horrible again which i dont like the feel of at all, i would go with a gentle cleanser and maybe just use my aspirin mask every night as that is a SA treatment, so i could try that but i'm not sure what to do really, i'm not sure if i should give the ST. Ives scrub a few more weeks to see how many skin turns out as i do really love the way my skin feels after washing with it.

I also went through a phase of using aspirin for a scrub for a while. I really enjoyed it. I also felt like when I didn't use it, that a layer of gross was still on my skin. Ultimately, when I switched to a detergent free cleanser it cleared up. Took a little time, but it was worth it. My skin feels healthier now.

Being one who's fallen for the SA marketing, I've used a bunch of them...Clean and Clear, Neutrogena, etc. They're all pretty much the same, aside from the fragrances. I'd stay away from the scrubs, as the acids are already exfoliating, yes?

I'm currently using Phisoderm who's apparently entered into the foray. Looks like they have a new look and packaging. Now they have a SA wash which is PH balanced ...I don't think the other ones are. Skin feels clean but isn't as dry and tight.

I don't know if it's true about Phiso, but for Neutrogena, their body and face specific washes I think are done for a reason. Maybe the formula concentrations are different, but when I tried the body wash on my face (to save money), I found it to be very harsh and left my face irritated.

That's my two cents.