Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RudyP

Help for my 11 year old daughter

I have been suffering from acne off/on for over 30 years. Not a lot of acne now, but I have many scars. Now my 11 year old daughter is showing the first signs of acne. So far we've been using BP (so/so luck) and SA cleansers (again, so/so results).

Can anyone recommend a good starting point if we were to see a dermatologist? Because I've had severe, cystic acne in the past I just know she will likely suffer as well...UNLESS we catch it early?

Is this possible??

Hi

Well I had mild acne...occassionally pustular...when I started my sophmore year of HS..which was about 6 years ago...and I started with Benzamycin I believe..and no oral treatment...I eventually ended up with Minocycline and Differing Gel...which I later asked for Cream as soon as I found out they made it...that combo worked for years...and the only signs of it not working anymore...was my sudden cystic acne...it started last may...I would get one every couple weeks...but they wouldn't go away that fast...so I'd always have 2 on my face...I tried Doxy and clindagel...and was finally put on Accutane a few weeks ago...I'm doing much better now...I'd reccomend talking to the Dr about a combo oral/topical attack...but he/she will know best...patience is key...I'm sure everything will work out...best of luck...

PS: since my cystic acne was based around my nose...and I'd been on antibiotics for so long...I'm begining to wonder if it has more to do with gram-negative folliculitis...considering after a couple weeks on Accutane I'm totally clear...and Accutane is a common treatment for that issue...Hmm...Just keep an eye on her...if the treatments aren't working and it begins to get cystic...get right back to the doc...

Missionary:

Yeah the benzamycin was doing a good job...but my derm thought that Differin (new at the time) was a better option and with an antibiotic I would get to where I wanted to be...and I was for quite sometime...

Gram Negative Folliculitis is something I just found out about...Apparently its a fungal type infection that starts around the nose and is mostly due to long term use of antibiotic...the only reason I consider this in my situation is b/c I was on minocycline for quite a few years w/o any real breaks...and my cystic "acne" was focused around my nose...

if she is just starting out with mild acne then you can probably get her on a skin care regimen and diet that will help control it. i firmly believe that food plays a key role in acne. i think antibiotics at a young age especially females could do more harm than good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/11/...ain558084.shtml this is a great program to start with as far as topicals go. it worked wonders for my skin. try also cutting out the sugars in her diet and any perfumes and fragrances in her shampoo. head and shoulders always helped keep my forehead clear. unfortunately now that i am older..it is more my hormones that are causing my acne. good luck, hope you find a solution for your daughter. it's great that you care enough to try and control it now smile.gif she's a lucky little girl.

if she is just starting out with mild acne then you can probably get her on a skin care regimen and diet that will help control it. i firmly believe that food plays a key role in acne. i think antibiotics at a young age especially females could do more harm than good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/11/...ain558084.shtml this is a great program to start with as far as topicals go. it worked wonders for my skin. try also cutting out the sugars in her diet and any perfumes and fragrances in her shampoo. head and shoulders always helped keep my forehead clear. unfortunately now that i am older..it is more my hormones that are causing my acne. good luck, hope you find a solution for your daughter. it's great that you care enough to try and control it now smile.gif she's a lucky little girl.

Yes the choice is yours...I know its a tough one b/c while its 50/50 a natural regimen will work...its also 50/50 a certain combo of prescription meds will work...and while TP does bring up a good point about antibiotics...you can look into a combo of topicals instead...perhaps a topical antibiotic and a retinoid like Differin...that will alleviate the "problems" some people fear with moderate to long term antibiotic use...and since her acne isn't severe yet, an all topical combo could very well work...I however have reservations about the logic diet influences acne to any great extent...maybe for some people...but I've noticed that no matter what I eat...or don't eat...it has no negative effect on my acne...the only thing I do reccomend is a fair consumption of water...especially if on antibiotics...it'll help flush out your system and keep your skin hydrated which could well prevent excess irritation and to an extent it makes the blemishes less noticeable...and by the way...if your daughter does go on antibiotics...she can take a probiotic a few hours before or after...which will help keep the good bacteria around...just a thought...best of luck....

I really appreciate your comments. I worry too about long-term antibiotic use. During my teens my acne was under control with the use of oral meds, but then after a short stint with birth control pills in my 20's, my acne quickly got out of hand! I suffered terribly for a few years until Accutane came on the market. I've also had two dermabrasions!! I still feel yucky about my scars but we simply can't afford any of the major treatments. I'm really appreciating the info I'm finding on this board about make-up, etc.

I just don't want my daughter to suffer. Life is tough enough w/o tossing cystic acne into the picture...! Plus I have an eight year old son who I'm sure will be next. There seems to be a strong genetic tie to acne.

Any insight about genetics and acne?

One more thing, something that has always bugged me: acne is a disease. The scars left behind are scars from a disease; does anyone know of a case where someone really took legal action and challenged an insurance company about this? I suppose a lawyer wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot-pole... Insurance companies cover other types of "cosmetic" fixes (various reconstructive surgeries, burn scars, other scars, etc.) so I've always wondered about this...

There is apparently a link between genetics and acne...it may well be that your son won't be that bad...there seems to be a stronger genetic link between female family members...as for the legal action taken for scars etc...it's tough b/c treatment for acne is purely ellective...and even if you do get treatment for it...there is no guarantee that you won't scar...the scars left behind are often able to be dealt with at a dermatologist's office assuming he/she also practices cosmetic "surgery" procedures...for example my derm does laser and acid peels...including dermabrasion...if you go through your dr's office and have a fair insurance plan...you may well be able to have these done with a copay...b/c the scars aren't necessarily voluntary to treat...especially if you've been treated for acne...it shows that you tried to avoid the problem...and that the scars are a remnant of something you couldn't fix with medical attention...some insurance companies will cover such procedures as medical "necessities"...

as for diet, i found that when i dropped dairy from my diet (yes it was tough) that my acne cleared significantly along with B5 in my routine. i was clear for about 2 years with the occasional one during my cycle. then this past year my jawline and back became badly broken out which is a sure indication of my hormones. i think for me diet plays a role in skin. afterall "you are what you eat" much of what we eat is loaded with dyes, glutens and preservatives. you might try putting her on just some really good basic foods. try sticking with the outer core of the grocery store. that would be fruits, veggies and eggs which have alot of vitamin a. this might just turn things around..do this for 2 weeks and see if things don't change in her skin. plus tons of water!

good luck!

I have been suffering from acne off/on for over 30 years.  Not a lot of acne now, but I have many scars.  Now my 11 year old daughter is showing the first signs of acne.  So far we've been using BP (so/so luck) and SA cleansers (again, so/so results).

Can anyone recommend a good starting point if we were to see a dermatologist?  Because I've had severe, cystic acne in the past I just know she will likely suffer as well...UNLESS we catch it early?

Is this possible??

Yeah, it sucks, but acne can be inherited from parents. My dad had bad acne like mine. Argh!

In my opinion and that is all it is I don't think you should concentrate a great deal on her diet if it is currently healthy and contains a decent amount of water. If you can afford it I would arrange an appointment to see a derm privately and take their advise. Don't overly worry about your son developing acne also as it may never happen.