Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
makelsey

Best makeup for acne

Hello! I have a question about makeup (foundation).

For years I have been using Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse because it is the only thing that I think is heavy enough and provides enough coverage to conceal my bad skin. I know that it is not oil free but like I said, I have found nothing else. Everything else I have tried wears off easily or is too sheer. Mineral makeup does not work for me (also, usually it is a rip-off because it is mostly made of talc). I don't think it makes me break out (like I said I have been using it forever) but I am just trying to do the best thing I can for my skin. I just started Dan's regimen today!

So, does anyone use anything that provides great coverage but is oil-free and skin-friendly? I am looking for something that will last a long time and give a fairly matte appearance (my skin is not especially oily) but that does a great job of covering the zits without looking like it is caked on. Any other acne-related makeup tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lately I've been having success with Physician's Formula. The trick to bad skin I think is thin layers. First I do a thin later of Mineral Foundation (applied wet on a foundation brush only to broken out areas). Then I go over these spots with Physician's Formula Organic wear Liquid Foundation SPF 15. Finally I finish for a more matte look with Physician's Formula Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder.

I think the trick is to find things without Mica or Talc. I know I don't look flawless, but it's near impossible to cover acne AND look flawless, unless you can shell out the big bucks for Department store foundations.

If you're willing to go higher in price, I've had great luck with Estée Lauder. Their double-wear light foundation is water based and great for the skin. On the other hand, their oil based foundation is said to have AMAZING coverage.

I find the trick is to not try and look flawless, but try and make what you have look it's best.

clinique's clarifying foundation is pretty good - it gives a lasting matte coverage and it has salicylic acid to unclog pores. and maybelline's pure makeup is good too - its 60% water but coverage is a bit too sheer. for me, i think powder or mineral foundation gives a more natural look.

Hello! I have a question about makeup (foundation).

For years I have been using Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse because it is the only thing that I think is heavy enough and provides enough coverage to conceal my bad skin. I know that it is not oil free but like I said, I have found nothing else. Everything else I have tried wears off easily or is too sheer. Mineral makeup does not work for me (also, usually it is a rip-off because it is mostly made of talc). I don't think it makes me break out (like I said I have been using it forever) but I am just trying to do the best thing I can for my skin. I just started Dan's regimen today!

So, does anyone use anything that provides great coverage but is oil-free and skin-friendly? I am looking for something that will last a long time and give a fairly matte appearance (my skin is not especially oily) but that does a great job of covering the zits without looking like it is caked on. Any other acne-related makeup tips would be greatly appreciated.

Try some Avon products. They are great for sensitive skin, and they do have some that lasts a very long time. You just have to register on their site, order, and choose your delivery type.

Personally i use bare minerals, which feels great on my skin and doesn't cause me to break out. It's a powder foundation but offers great coverage. The way i try to do it is take a small concealer brush and cover up the red spots individually, and then go over with a larger foundation brush with the same powder to even the look out. The great thing about this make up is that you don't need to load it on for it to cover up the redness in your skin, and it feels awesome on...comes off easy when washing your face too. I've had really good luck with it. It's pretty pricey but i know Maybelline sells a similar mineral powder make up and you can get it just about anywhere. If you are used to a liquid make up it can be hard to figure out exactly how to apply it but i will never use liquid make up again after using this stuff! seriously, try it out...it's amazing.

....AND i almost forgot to mention, try waiting a while to apply make up after showering or washing your face. In fact, applying your make up should be the last thing you do during your morning routine! Usually your skin is more red/ irritated after washing or showering, so if you are applying make up right after you are probably using more because of the extra redness and irritation. Give your skin a chance to chill out, and then apply your make up. You probably wont have to use as much. REMEMBER LESS IS MORE! and if ever you can avoid wearing make up...DO IT. don't use cosmetics to run errands or sit around the house. Only use make up for special occasions or going out...Limit the use of cosmetics as much as possible, It is better for your skin to wear no make up at all...but that is in a perfect world OF COURSE :-)

GOOD LUCK

The best i have found is earthnicity. It does not effect your acne one bit. is mineral but it does cover if you put enough on and its so matte to the point that it can look dry. Its not the one that looks the nicest but it does the job and its kind to the skin. bare escentuals also excellent if your not allergic to bismuth oxychloride - the trick is to use a concealer and then a foundation on top to get rid of the ridiculous sheen. they are expensive u can get them cheaper off ebay. i have 2 friends who use clinique and the coverage is amazing, 1 has near perfect skin 1 has mild acne, i guess it depends on the person. gd luck findin ure foundation

ooh and btw its worth switchin to a powder foundation even if its not mineral because bacteria thrives in liquid. so should be less for your skin to cope with :)

Lately I've been having success with Physician's Formula. The trick to bad skin I think is thin layers. First I do a thin later of Mineral Foundation (applied wet on a foundation brush only to broken out areas). Then I go over these spots with Physician's Formula Organic wear Liquid Foundation SPF 15. Finally I finish for a more matte look with Physician's Formula Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder.

I think the trick is to find things without Mica or Talc. I know I don't look flawless, but it's near impossible to cover acne AND look flawless, unless you can shell out the big bucks for Department store foundations.

If you're willing to go higher in price, I've had great luck with Estée Lauder. Their double-wear light foundation is water based and great for the skin. On the other hand, their oil based foundation is said to have AMAZING coverage.

I find the trick is to not try and look flawless, but try and make what you have look it's best.

I like the idea of layers. What kind of mineral foundation do you use? Do you mean it is powder and you wet a foundation brush to apply the powder or is it a liquid formula? I have heard many good things about that Physician's Formula foundation so I will definitely give that a try. Thanks.

The best i have found is earthnicity. It does not effect your acne one bit. is mineral but it does cover if you put enough on and its so matte to the point that it can look dry. Its not the one that looks the nicest but it does the job and its kind to the skin. bare escentuals also excellent if your not allergic to bismuth oxychloride - the trick is to use a concealer and then a foundation on top to get rid of the ridiculous sheen. they are expensive u can get them cheaper off ebay. i have 2 friends who use clinique and the coverage is amazing, 1 has near perfect skin 1 has mild acne, i guess it depends on the person. gd luck findin ure foundation

ooh and btw its worth switchin to a powder foundation even if its not mineral because bacteria thrives in liquid. so should be less for your skin to cope with :)

I will look into Earthnicity. I used to use the Bare Minerals foundation but I definitely did have to layer foundation on top of it which made me feel like I was wasting makeup. I liked it but always felt like I had to put so much on.

I just received my sample kit from Everyday Minerals & it`s SOoOoOo nice on my skin. I had been using another mineral foundation for two years before this & I thought I`d never switch to something else, but I noticed that it always made my skin itch. I thought it was normal but after using Everyday Minerals my skin doesn`t itch anymore.! Plus it looks so natural on your skin. The sample kits are so convienent. I`m glad I found this makeup & suprised at how cheap it is for the quality, it also only contains four ingredients which is very nice to know considering all the makeup I THOUGHT was good for skin contained chemicals that could irritate more.! I`d check out the website & order the samples, you get to pick three foundation shades, blush & concealer mini sizes, all for about $3 shipping.!

everydayminerals.com

I like the idea of layers. What kind of mineral foundation do you use? Do you mean it is powder and you wet a foundation brush to apply the powder or is it a liquid formula? I have heard many good things about that Physician's Formula foundation so I will definitely give that a try. Thanks.

I use Bare Minerals (which I don't recommend full heartedly because while is causes no problems for me, is has for a lot of other people). Any mineral makeup would suffice. (Everyday Minerals, blah, blah.) It doesn't do the actual COVERING UP, so I don't use a lot at all, it just evens out the redness a bit. This step could be replaced with some green concealer (stick or powder).

For the mineral foundation, I wet a foundation brush and sweep the minerals up from the cap, then apply to my face. It gives it a less caked on/dry look especially over active pimples.

For the Physician's Formula liquid foundation, I wet a sponge and then apply. The coverage for me is amazing. :dance:

Personally, I like Make Up For Ever's HD foundation. It's a liquid foundation, but it's super light and it gives you a perfect flawless finish. The only downside to it is the cost, but you can't put a price tag on beauty lol. For concealer I use mac's studio fix concealer. The first time I used it I thought I was allergic to it, due to the spf (i'm allergic to sunscreen and i've been trying to figure out what in it specifically is causing the reaction) but it turned out to be something else haha. I don't think it breaks me out at all.

lancome dual finish compact makeup

dior diorskin forever compact makeup -HG

clinique perfectly real

everyday minerals intensive ( if you can find a good colour match)

MAC studio fix fluid - waterbased

MAC studio fix compact

MAC studiotech - looks great on!

Vichy dermablend corrective foundation

Vichy foundation

Hi, I use a mix of Estee Lauder Double Wear and loose powder; I work in an overheated office and it lasts all day. I also apply it with fingers (sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria), allow it to dry for 10 minutes and then set with powder. It is quite thick but for coverage it cannot be faulted; and I should know because my skin is awful.....I know for fact it isn't an irritant as I have used it for 12 years, my acne is hormonal and I have only had bad skin for 6 months

Maybelline Matte mouse is realy bad for your skin. You really want to stay away from mainstream drugstore brands as they are loaded with chemicals that can bring on "chemical induced acne" if you are already acne prone-watch out! The very best makeup you can get for acne in my opinion is Mineral Makeup. My face has changed dramatically simply from switching my makeup. I used Bare escentuals in the past but it left me greasy and didn't offer enough coverage. I almost swore off MM altogether until I found a company called Faerie Organic Minerals. I treid their free sample kit and fell in love. You really need to check them out. They use a mineral in their foundation called Boron Nitride which is anti-bacterial so it is supposed to help acne while you wear it and it also has zinc oxide which is anti-inflammatory (great for skin redness and rosacea). I really love it, it covers really really well, stays on all day, keeps the oilies at bay and is totally natural. You can google faerie organic minerals for the website, I think it is www.faerieorganic.com. Anyways prior to using FO I used drugstore brands of MM and my face reacted horribly, I found out many of them use Bismuth Oxychloride and Dimethicone which can break you out. I haven't used EM as I was overwhelmed with the color choice selection and finishes. Good luck!

Maybelline Matte mouse is realy bad for your skin. You really want to stay away from mainstream drugstore brands as they are loaded with chemicals that can bring on "chemical induced acne" if you are already acne prone-watch out! The very best makeup you can get for acne in my opinion is Mineral Makeup. My face has changed dramatically simply from switching my makeup. I used Bare escentuals in the past but it left me greasy and didn't offer enough coverage. I almost swore off MM altogether until I found a company called Faerie Organic Minerals. I treid their free sample kit and fell in love. You really need to check them out. They use a mineral in their foundation called Boron Nitride which is anti-bacterial so it is supposed to help acne while you wear it and it also has zinc oxide which is anti-inflammatory (great for skin redness and rosacea). I really love it, it covers really really well, stays on all day, keeps the oilies at bay and is totally natural. You can google faerie organic minerals for the website, I think it is www.faerieorganic.com. Anyways prior to using FO I used drugstore brands of MM and my face reacted horribly, I found out many of them use Bismuth Oxychloride and Dimethicone which can break you out. I haven't used EM as I was overwhelmed with the color choice selection and finishes. Good luck!

Beware folks, this girl is a spammer, 3 accounts suspended so far.

Hi there,

I have used everything from Neutrogena brand concealors to Bare Minerals. The only thing that works for me and doesn't cause me to break out is Mary Kay Foundation. I don't use it all over my skin, though. I use it as a concealor, covering spots. I don't use powder bc it causes me to break out.

Ultimately, I think it is a matter of trial and error: what works for one, may not work for the other...I hope you find what works for you!

XOXOXO

i love foundations. they are an absolute must have for me.

hmm i've used many foundations...first of all, i wouldn't recommend any foundation from a drug store. (mascaras and eyeliner and stuff from a drugstore but i don't know about the foundations. i've always had bad experiences with them)

Origins is a pretty good line. they are more natural than some other brands. they have a few different kinds of finishes. i used to use their liquid foundations for years. i always got compliments on it. their pressed powder is really good too. check them out.

Makeup Forever HD foundation is what i've been using for the last few months. the coverage is definitely build able. they have a good color selection. i found my perfect match. the price is kind of steep, but it's a good investment. i love it because it's really lightweight and a little goes a long way. you can find Makeup Forever at Sephora.

hmm...well...there is MAC studio fix fluid, but honestly i wouldn't recommend that for 'everyday wear'. maybe if you're going out at night to a party/club/whatever. it's kind of thick and CAN feel cakey. it gives a more 'made up' look. it's a pretty good foundation though. coverage is great. i used it for 6 months, but i stopped for awhile because the color seemed a little off.

the MAC studio fix powder is good too. i'd recommend it for dusting over foundation.

i can't say much about mineral makeup...because i don't like it. i've messed around with a handful of brands i never liked any of them. they make me itch and give very little coverage.

For years I have had terrible acne and spent ages trying to find make-up to cover it. After finally discovering Carleys clear and smooth for my acne, I then had to find a make-up without Bismuth Oxychloride - MOST of the main stream mineral make-ups DO contain it and it will keep irritating your skin - it is evil stuff. So I use everyday minerals, its from the states (i'm not sure where you are) but it is a VERY good price and cheap to ship to the UK. It doesn't irritate my skin and the coverage is excellent. Check them out at www.everydayminerals.com!! ;)

I use physicians formula foundation talc-free which doesnt make my skin break out soo i would reccomend it.

Why is talc bad to have in a foundation? I'm currently using Sephora's matifying compact foundation and it includes talc. Does that make someone break out?

I usually don't wear makeup but for the special occassions it would be nice to have something. But all the foundations I've used ends up giving me hard deep pimples especially in between my eyebrows or on my chin (where I put the most coverage since I have alot of dark past acne marks there). I've tried bareminerals and everyday minerals. I'm very oil and I found that both kind of slip off my face through out the day (I also have really really oil skin). I now currently live in a very humid area (when its summer). Both also give me acne as well. I asked a lady at Ulta about it and she said to use primer before putting on the foundation so it'll keep it from directly touching my skin. She recommended MAC light primer (oil free, water-based one). Is this true?

I have also used the Body Shop's make since I used to work there but I also find that their foundation formula is a little to heavy for my taste. Any other tips on how to keep foundation on.. and what kind of foundations would be right would be awesome! thanx!

Make Up For Ever (MUFE) High Definition Foundation is my favorite foundation right now. The coverage is very buildable. You can big a dab with your moisturizer to get that "tinted moisturizer" look or you can apply all over the face with a stipple brush, using circular motions. This will give it that airbrushed look, without being overdone at all.

I do recommend using this foundation with some sort of primer, and, if you are like me and get shiny, setting it with the MUFE HD microfinish powder.

MUFE is my favorite foundation right now because of the color selection. It's rare for me to find such a good match for my skin.

My other favorite, Lancome Teinte Idole has the best coverage I've ever seen in a foundation, but the color is a little off for me. I still wear it out at night sometimes still because of its staying power.

I have tried SO many different brands of makeup that I practically have a mini Sephora in my bathroom cabinet. I have used BM on and off the past month or so, and like it but definitely dont love it. The best foundation/concealer that I have come across and have used for the past week without any issues is Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation and Vichy Dermablend Concealer. Both can be found at CVS, which is great if you want to avoid naggy salesmen and department store prices. The foundation is about $28 but lasts forever because it covers so well you really only need a pea size amount for your face. The concealer is the same way and I find it to work even better than Amazing Cosmetics concealer (which I loved, but contains oils that cause breakouts). I have recently been battling hormonal acne outbreak/rash due to coming off of Nuvaring and starting a new pill three days ago, and this is the only makeup that has managed to cover everything during this HORRIFIC skin time for me.

PS-this is the only foundation/concealer I have found that actually says it is non-acnegenic. That is something I rarely find. It also has 16 hours waterproof coverage, so when applied correctly you never have to worry about it budging.