Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
innerredhead

Spiro Initial Breakout: Yay or Nay?

Hi all

I'm usually more of a lurker, but i'm going through a conundrum about whether to bite the bullet and start my spironolactone prescription. Basically I'm incredibly chicken about the IB, and making things that are predictably bad worse...this time last year Differin ruined my skin, and now I'm very attached to the small amount of control I have over my skin.

If you didn't experience the IB when beginning spiro, please feel free to elaborate on why you think that is.

Many thanks :)

i didn't really experience a breakout when i started spiro...if i did, i can't remember it to be bad...i think maybee i got like a cyst or something- but i don't think it was BECAUSE of spiro, but more the transition between doxy (what i was taking before) and spiro. a couple random times throughout my course of spiro i got breakouts in spots i never did before (my ear, above my lip, my forehead) which was annoying...but after a few months it pretty much controlled my hormonal acne...anyway good luck

I never got the IB that some ppl got either. I was SO scared of that- it's basically why I haven't used a lot of things in the years I have had acne, so scared of the IB. I did use Azelex years agoa nd had a horrible IB from that, UGH...stopped using it after a month because I decided some monthly pimples was better then the mess that crap was creating. But I finally decided that if I was ever going to get it under control I needed to do something so I finally did and have been pretty happy with the results so far.

GOod luck.

I didn't have an IB. Of course, I was so badly broken out at the time, I don't think it could have gotten much worse. I started on 50mg and worked up to 150mg. My derm also gave me Klaron, which I think is the best topical in the universe - it really helped calm things down.

Well, i've started. So i guess i'll be finding out for myself one way or another...scary! For anyone who might want to read, I'm blogging my progress in the blog section. Wish me luck!

Hi innerredhead -

I have been reading your posts and you and I seem to be on the same regimine, Spiro and Yasmin, although I started a month or so after you. I am just curious to see how it's going for you. Do you notice a lot of little bumps, less like acne, more like bumps. I see some areas getting better, some not so much. I would love to hear what your experience has been thus far.

I started taking sprio a week ago and will be tracking my progress as well. I really appreciate everyone who blogs as I did a lot of reading on here before taking the prescription. I am soon to be 38 and can't beleive I still struggle with acne. I, like others, have tried many things since high school when I first had horrible acne. 3 treatments of accutane, every topical and every antibiotic available, face peels, laser treatment, etc. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I can't help but hope this one works. My derm said it takes a couple of months to kick in so I will check back in around June.

The majority of my adult acne appears on my cheeks and chin.

Hi innerredhead -

I have been reading your posts and you and I seem to be on the same regimine, Spiro and Yasmin, although I started a month or so after you. I am just curious to see how it's going for you. Do you notice a lot of little bumps, less like acne, more like bumps. I see some areas getting better, some not so much. I would love to hear what your experience has been thus far.

Hey Chipperk49!

Yes, i have a bump thing going on. Not sure what the deal is. It's like they're going to build and build into normal pimples...but they don't. And they go away in about 24 hours....weirdness! Not that i'm complaining because bumps I can handle ok, it's the cystic raised horribles and welts I hate!

I feel like it's going well, but i still feel it's too early to call. I'm updating my blog fairly regularly, not sure if you may have read it already in the blog section, but it's got more info on my progress.

How are you finding it??