Notifications
Clear all

Getting a piercing while on accutane?

MemberMember
(@4cne)

Posted : 02/18/2009 9:09 pm

So.. I have been wanting to get my ears pierce for a while and now that im 18 I can get them pierce!! yay!

But right now Im on accutane and Im not sure if I should get them pierce or wait 4 months for my treatment to be over.. Im only on the first month :(

MemberMember
(@pes3108)

Posted : 02/19/2009 2:09 am

I was wondering the same thing!!!!

It seems to be taking my belly button and cartilage forever to heal, altough I got them before i started on accutane.

i reallyyyyy want another in my cartilage but idk if this would be a smart thing to do...

MemberMember
(@devendralover)

Posted : 02/19/2009 12:34 pm

Personally I would wait until about 3 months after your Accutane course to get anything pierced. Something like a bellybutton or a catrlidge piercing already takes forever to heal and when you are on Accutane your skins healing process is slowed down due to a screatching halt in oil production. When I was on accutane something as small as a cat scratch would take forever to heal and left really nasty scars. I am a little over 3 months post tane and my skin is back to healing quickly. I am still really scared to get anything peirced, waxed, or tattooed on my skin just because my derm told me to wait 6 months after my course to get anything of that nature done. I would just hate to get a piercing and then have to take it out because it was not healing right.

MemberMember
(@sophiena1143)

Posted : 02/19/2009 12:51 pm

i think if you get something pierced it will take longer and make it harder for it to heal...maybe you should wait

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 02/19/2009 1:09 pm

Wait until at LEAST four months AFTER you take your last Accutane pill. Why risk it?

MemberMember
(@pes3108)

Posted : 02/19/2009 2:00 pm

what about something that I had done BEFORE the accutane? like less than a year before i started taking the medicine? My belly button was done last march and has been getting bloody and scabby... same thing with my cartilage (got that done in October). Could this be because of the Accutane?

MemberMember
(@elchileno11)

Posted : 02/19/2009 2:05 pm

how about getting a tongue ring??

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 02/19/2009 2:07 pm

Um..no. That's even more invasive than a bellybutton piercing.

MemberMember
(@elchileno11)

Posted : 02/19/2009 4:50 pm

woulnt it be faster healing because the tongue is muscle not cartilage???

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 02/19/2009 5:18 pm

woulnt it be faster healing because the tongue is muscle not cartilage???

No. ANY invasive procedure is contraindicated while on Accutane and for at least six months (according to the literature) afterwards due to problems with healing.

Tattoos, cosmetic surgery, ear piercings, piercings of any sort, ANY kind of invasive surgery is not smart while on or for a while after taking Accutane.

MemberMember
(@yo-adrienne)

Posted : 02/19/2009 6:29 pm

ive had my ears pierced since i was little and rarely kept ear rings in them.... after starting accutane, the holes started to close up so now i have to keep studs in the at all times. i would definitely wait until after your treatment... i mean you already waited this long right? it just takes your skin FOREVER to heal on accutane. chances are, if you do get a piercing right now, it wont heal, could become infected and you will have to take it out anyway. i know accutane has some disappointing side effects.... but i think clear skin is worth it. good luck on your treatment though!

MemberMember
(@stumpy09)

Posted : 02/19/2009 6:54 pm

ive had my ears pierced since i was little and rarely kept ear rings in them.... after starting accutane, the holes started to close up so now i have to keep studs in the at all times.

Same here, I've had my ears pierced a long time and now they're freaking out on me. I had decided to just wear studs all the time, but then one day I noticed crusty blood on one ear and took them out.

Do you think it's better to wear the studs and have that happen, or not wear the studs and risk having the holes close up?

MemberMember
(@pes3108)

Posted : 02/21/2009 11:44 pm

sooo my belly button that i've had pierced for almost a year got really dried up and started to push the ring out!! i went to take it out and the hole ripped... :(

im going to have to get it repierced, but could the accutane have caused that???

MemberMember
(@brenna308)

Posted : 02/06/2010 4:46 pm

I should be starting Accutane in about early-mid March, but my 18th birthday is the end of this month and I really wanted to get a tattoo. I know you should wait at least 6months to have anything done AFTER finishing Accutane, but what about prior? Would it be able to heal properly?

MemberMember
(@stephhhh)

Posted : 08/29/2011 6:42 am

I want to get my thirds pierced (just lobes) cause my friends just become a qualified piercer, im on roaccutane, but im only on 2 every second day and one every other day. My derm told me im on it for at least another year, i really want to get it done, reckon it would be really bad if i did?

I want to get my thirds pierced (just lobes) cause my friends just become a qualified piercer, im on roaccutane, but im only on 2 every second day and one every other day. My derm told me im on it for at least another year, i really want to get it done, reckon it would be really bad if i did?

MemberMember
(@valentinaxoxo)

Posted : 11/12/2019 4:59 pm

Ive been on roaccutane for 3 months and I want to get a daith piercing for migranes, because Im not going to take it out do you think it would be okay to get?

MemberMember
(@maddiepilarinos12gmail-com)

Posted : 06/12/2022 3:44 am

I was on 10mg of Accutane a day since December 2020 and i finished my first round in January of 2022. I am now back on it because of the return of my acne and had to recently take out my two cartilage piercings (helix and rook) because they just didnt heal. I got those two piercings while on accutane as my dermatologist never said that I shouldnt get piercings. They didnt heal whatsoever and I think it was a mix of me 1. being on accutane and 2. not taking proper care of them. I also did get a navel piercing while taking the course and it has healed perfectly fine. It still spills out gunk occasionally but i talked to a piercer and she said that is normal. I think everyones accutane journey is different and it also depends on what dose you are on. I think that if you are to get a piercing on accutane, you need to take very good care of it and never forget to spray it with salt water. Also from my experience, getting piercings that are generally hard to heal like cartilage is a no go but if you are interested in getting a piercing that is going through skin ie lobes, navel, nostril etc, it should be ok but definitely double check with a piercer or a dermatologist because if you are on something like 40mg a day it could be severely damaging to your skin. I hope this helps 🙂

MemberMember
(@lunarodriguez)

Posted : 04/14/2023 12:59 pm

Im on 30mg of accutane, I have one month left and I just got a belly piercing will I be okay?