Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakejohnson007

Is Moisturizer Really Necessary?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Not everyone needs a moisturizer. Every person has different skin. If after you wash it, your skin feels dry, flaky, or tight, you may want to moisturize. But if you produce enough natural oils, then there's really no need for moisturizer.

Old thread, but for me moisturizer isn't worth it. I live in a very hot and humid city, sweat easily, and have oily skin. I have to use special soap devoid of any synthetic ingredients just to keep my skin happy and balanced. I already sleep with BenzaClin on, and I think those few hours indoors are all my skin can handle with a topical product.

I started using zinc, which seems to have dried the lower half of my skin out. I have very oily skin so I have never really needed moisurizer. The few times I have tried it my skin broke out horribly. The zinc seems to be helping clear me up except for the lower half of my face where I have been using Dan's moisturizer (not the newer version) My question is what is a really good moisturizer for severe acne prone skin? Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution.

Florida Guy, tell me more about this "Kirk's Castille bar soap". I've used bar soap before e.g. Neutrogena's, and it seems to me to be more drying than a liquid cleanser and rougher on the skin, causing dryness and bad complexion. But, it is quite effective at removing oil.

This discussion is quite relative.

If you are a male with acne problems and you are using some sort of cleanser or medication that is drying to the skin, you absolutely need to use a moisturizer. If you take moisture out of the skin, you need to replace it to preserve the skin's moisture balance and pH level. If you use products on and off (such as a moisturizer) you are disturbing the balance of your skin. Skin loves routine, and the best routine with acne is to cleanse, medicate, and moisturize. Another thing, if you use a moisturizer and your skin breaks out the next day, the moisturizer DID NOT cause this breakout. A pimple forms roughly 2-3 weeks before it shows up on the surface of the skin. You cannot pinpoint the cause of an acne lesion if you do not create a routine and keep track of your habits.

Now, if your experiencing other problems with your skin and/or you do not use any kind of medication that is drying, then obviously you don't need a moisturizer.

i'm a male with combination skin (oily/normal). I use moisturizer every morning and night. I find that using moisturizer promptly after washing/medicating my skin is less oily throughout the day. Not to mention my skin has been getting softer and healthier throughout the months i've been using the products.

i'm currently using the cetaphil lotion and i've had no problems with it

can any1 recommend a SOAP to wash my face and a MOISTURIZER to go along with that afterwards ...

i need to get into a routine and i want some advice and recommendations on soaps and moisturizers.

take into consideration that i am a 27 yr/male dealing with hormonal acne mostly along the jawline and mouth... a good moisturizer would be really helpful as i have dry skin...

i have been using DOVE beauty bar soap with moisturizing cream but my skin still needs a moisturizer afterwards