Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yepican

Is it possible to wean off washing face?

I mean once we start doing it everyday for years and years, our skin becomes accustomed to it. I know many of my friends don't even wash their face at all (except for shower water) and their skin is clear as day. Over the past few months I have not applied any topicals at all in hopes that I will no longer have to deal with washing my face. My acne has cleared up, the red marks are fading, but now I'm left with recurring dead skin build-up. Perhaps this is my skin's way of healing from being beat up every single day for the last 5 years. I don't believe I have seb. derm. or anything like that cuz it don't itch, and it's not red or scaly. So now I'm becoming a bit worried. Anyone else experience this?

I just started experimenting with this today.

I'm not doing anything to the left side of my face and seeing what happens, while still doing my regimen on the right side of my face.

The dead skin is probably like you said, just from not washing it and scrubbing it like its used to.

If you take a bar of like dove soap that's really gentle, and wash ur face with it once a week or so you should be okay.

I'm not doing anything to the left side of my face and seeing what happens, while still doing my regimen on the right side of my face.

The dead skin is probably like you said, just from not washing it and scrubbing it like its used to.

If you take a bar of like dove soap that's really gentle, and wash ur face with it once a week or so you should be okay.

Good luck to you man. Also, what was/is your regimen?

Im also trying to rid myself of Benzoyl Peroxide. But I still wash my face with cleanser that contains sort of granule. I dare not wean off everything at the same time. I'll try step by step.

But it's only day2 without benzoyl peroxide. what i notice is I do have a few more comedos and some red small inflammatory spots on my face. not as bad as cystic acnes or something. yes i mean it seems to be worse than when i put on BP every day. but i will keep trying and see what happens.

Good luck to you man. Also, what was/is your regimen?

Thanks =]

and here I have my "log" type thing, http://www.acne.org/messageboard/started-t...uc-t226629.html

I talk about what I'm doing and my current regimen.

So I'm baffled at the current conditon of my skin. I get this dead skin buildup over the course of a couple days in which you can't see or tell unless I gently scratch with my fingernail (which leads to flakeage). I'm pretty sure I don't have seb derm cuz it doesn't itch and it's not concentrated in just one area, but its over my entire face (except for right below my eyes). Over the past several weeks I believe that it has decreased slowly, but I can't be for certain. I have not applied anything other than water to my face in the past 72 days. Does anybody have a diagnosis for what this might be?

UPDATE:

So I've been continuing washing my face with just water 1X a day @ night to get the dead skin off and it's still returning (but it seems less and less over time). My acne has cleared almost 100% and now I'm just waiting on the red marks to fade. This is the way to go in my opinion, but I'm starting to worry if I have a problem with irregular skin shedding in my face cuz my skin just don't want to shed normally there without some assistance. I keep reminding myself that my face has taken a beating for years and years and it's gunna take some more time for it to repair itself. It's interesting because my neck and the skin under my chin (places that never got hammered by topicals daily) don't have this problem which leads me to believe that my skin is still somewhat damaged. I'm gunna wait it out until the beginning of April and if the flakiness/dead skin persist than I might have a problem.

I hope it is.

Right now I'm not trying to ween my face off of washing, but off of topicals.

So far it hasn't damaged me too much

But I'd like to see what your results are at the beginning of April.

I hope it is.

Right now I'm not trying to ween my face off of washing, but off of topicals.

So far it hasn't damaged me too much

But I'd like to see what your results are at the beginning of April.

Trust me....getting off the topicals will help your acne tremendously. I was looking at some old pics of myself before I started putting crap all over my face every day and I looked so clear! I dunno why I even started going crazy with the topicals in the first place! I prolly freaked out when I got 1 pimple and from there it was all downhill and I never thought to stop using topicals cuz I wuz afraid it would only get worse. WRONG! It's the best decision I've ever made regarding acne.

Yeah I am doing this myself. I weaned myself off slowly. I started using less and less BP and only used the cleanser in the morning. Then I stopped BP and only used a cleanser and a moisturizer. Now I am not using cleanser or moisturizer and I am letting my face heal and it looks great!

UPDATE:

So I've been continuing washing my face with just water 1X a day @ night to get the dead skin off and it's still returning (but it seems less and less over time). My acne has cleared almost 100% and now I'm just waiting on the red marks to fade. This is the way to go in my opinion, but I'm starting to worry if I have a problem with irregular skin shedding in my face cuz my skin just don't want to shed normally there without some assistance. I keep reminding myself that my face has taken a beating for years and years and it's gunna take some more time for it to repair itself. It's interesting because my neck and the skin under my chin (places that never got hammered by topicals daily) don't have this problem which leads me to believe that my skin is still somewhat damaged. I'm gunna wait it out until the beginning of April and if the flakiness/dead skin persist than I might have a problem.

i have started trying this as well... using the evian spray to wash at night and in the morning... i am hormonal right now so it is hard to know if it is doing anything because i always break out around 'that time of the month'... but what about makeup? i don't think that water is enough.... ????

UPDATE:

i have started trying this as well... using the evian spray to wash at night and in the morning... i am hormonal right now so it is hard to know if it is doing anything because i always break out around 'that time of the month'... but what about makeup? i don't think that water is enough.... ????

I really dont know what to say about the makeup since Im a guy. Maybe try using a washcloth and gently rub your makeup off, but only use water. I hope this helps!

The best that I did was listen to Wynne, and stopped all OTC acne products. Now I mainly wash at night, and sometimes a.m. With my sons, it's hard to wash until after 12 noon anyways, so sometimes I just wait until night, I dont want to get in a crazy cycle of washing midday either. I don't think it will be possible to just completely stop altogether, and really I don't want to. Maybe it's just better to lessen washing times, than to cease it.

I have not used a topical acne thing for months now. My experience has been generally positive although there is still a very long way to go.

I am right now just washing with a little bit of cold water to lose whatever flakes are there and just to wake me up a bit in the morning. I then sometimes would put a little bit of moisturiser on as well, especially if it is feeling dry.

Shaving is the main problem right now for me, i am just not sure what works best, but i am starting to learn not to be to bothered about it and to just not touch my face and let it heal naturally without me buggering with it all the time.

I have not used a topical acne thing for months now. My experience has been generally positive although there is still a very long way to go.

I am right now just washing with a little bit of cold water to lose whatever flakes are there and just to wake me up a bit in the morning. I then sometimes would put a little bit of moisturiser on as well, especially if it is feeling dry.

Shaving is the main problem right now for me, i am just not sure what works best, but i am starting to learn not to be to bothered about it and to just not touch my face and let it heal naturally without me buggering with it all the time.

I would recommend using an electric shaver for shaving. I switched to that and that has helped tremendously. No irritation, no creams, no aftershave, but the same close shave. But yea less is definetly more in the fight against acne.

Yepican, I'm going to take up your recommendation on getting an electric razor. I've been having a problem with my standard razor lately. I am getting some bumps on and under my jawline. I change blades daily and the problem has been consistent for a week.

Yepican, I'm going to take up your recommendation on getting an electric razor. I've been having a problem with my standard razor lately. I am getting some bumps on and under my jawline. I change blades daily and the problem has been consistent for a week.

how's the electric razor treating ya? hope it's going well mate.