Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have read most of the posts for the past few weeks, and I know that this subject has been touched already, but if anyone is willing to share their story with me it would be much appreciated.

I am going to be starting accutane next week, and was wondering how long the initial breakout lasted, if any. Also, if you have completed your prescription, how were the results?

Just looking for some personal stories so I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks! -Newgirl

Hi,

I've been on Accutane for approx. 3 weeks. I'm on 20mg twice a day. I'll just tell you what I've personally noticed.

The first week a lot of my old marks started fading/going away (started around day 5). This went on until the end of the second week. My back broke out quite badly, and painfully at that. My face did break out (I still had a few pimples from when I started during the first 2 weeks, but I had no new ones), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I don't know if that was the 'bad' breakout or not. The old redness and discoloration seemed to return.

Now, about a week later, I still have most of the pimples, but they're a lot more subdued and partially healed. The discoloration is going away, again.

That's about the most I can tell you.

ok im gonna try and give you all the helpful info i can....

I have been on accutane twice and am currently on my third session. I think one of the main reasons I am taking it for the third time and have re-occuring acne is because the first two times I did not completely finish the prescription. So I must stress that you finish all the medication, even though your face might be clear.

Next...the initial break out. The first time I took accutane I had no initial break out at all. The second time I had a really severe initial break out. I am on the fourth week of my third session and did not really have too much of a break out. Just slightly worse than normal. So I think it really depends. If you do get a break out, dont worry about it, you are gonna be clear in the next few months.

Side effects. Be ready for the dryest skin you will ever experience in your entire life. From the very beginning I would start moisturizing your face, especially around the mouth and nose, and areas that move around and stretch your skin alot. In those areas your skin will peel really bad and look kinda funny, so you gotta keep it moisturized. I carry a little sample of cetaphil moisturizing cream in my car and in my pocket and check the mirror often to make sure my skin isnt peeling, especially after I eat or stretch the skin alot. I had a couple bad nose bleeds but nothing very often. One was so bad I had to leave work for the day. That was prolly my worst side effect from accutane. I have never experienced any reduced night vision or depression or any other of the more serious side effects. Oh...also make sure and moisturize the rest of your body as well...especially the forarms and hands....

Last....know that it is gonna take time for the medication to start working, so give it time, and dont get impatient. In the end the results will be good.

Ive had alot of experience with accutane so if you have any questions or anything just message me or something...good luck....

peace

-Cory

man iwanna try accutane, but i dont wanna deal with the damn nosebleeds people seem to get alot, and sometimes really bad nosebleeds....and the very very dry skin, man thats gotta be so horrible....and also cory, what was your dosage a day., and for how long....and also you say the skin peels like crazy, how bad is that? what would you say would be a good dose to take and for how long for someone who is 6'2 155-160 pounds?

Thanks for the replies! Hearing everyone's stories is definitely making me more relaxed about starting the medication. I am pretty sure that I am starting this Thursday. It took me a while to decide to go for it, and a lot of research. I read a lot of posts on this message board, and think that it's awesome that people who are taking it can come here and discuss it with other people who have either taken it, or are still taking it.

Cory, thanks for the invite to question you. I will definitely take you up on that!

If anyone can share their story, it would be of help to me. Thanks!

Hi Cory, thanks for replyiong to posts here regarding accutane. I have mild to moderate acne which goes from clear to mild to moderate then clear, basically it tortures me a lot, and I believe I am trapped in some sort of cycle. I get oily, then wash it, it gets more oily, more breakouts, more messing around with face, then subsides, then again.

SO I decided to get on low dosage of accutane. I certainly do not want to experience any nose bleeds, all I am sking is 50% decrease in oil.

I assume you have taken the correct dosage for your weight, but if my doctor puts me on, for example, half or one third of the dosage, will side effects be less? and when you say your skin peels? what if you moisturize a lot twice a day, is it still going to peel?

i will try to instant message you if you dont mind, that way maybe you could answer few more questions for me if you get a moment

thanks a lot

Yeah I forgot to mention side effects. I have pretty bad chapped lips...the biggest problem is while I rarely ever got dry lips before, whenever I did, I picked at it. So accutane has been constant peeling of dry skin off my lips, even at the cost of it bleeding. Bad habits die hard.

As far as dry skin, my only really dry skin is around my mouth and nose, as was mentioned by Cory. Maybe it's because I moisturize daily, but I haven't noticed my face getting dry at all (even when I wake up). My hands feel dry occasionally, though.

SymphonyX, I am very similar to you in height and weight (6'1, 160lbs) and the 20mg per dose is working great for me. Perhaps I had lighter acne than most people have when going on accutane, but I had beyond stubborn acne that didn't respond to anything else. How bad is your acne? If it's not bad, go low dosage like I did because I barely have any side effects. But the more severe it is, I'd suggest bumping it up to 40mg a dose.

Vampa

How bad is your acne? Moderate or severe?

I get few cysts every month, and pimples on cheeks that explode in whiteheads .... my temples are also covered with very stubborn pimples that donw reposnd to anything, they dry out but next day they are pimples again, that hurt to touch....

my acne is not severe, i would say its moderate 30% of the time and mild 60% and clear in 10% ...

I weigh 185 pounds. 6'2" and was thinking to ask my doc to get on low dosage since my acne is not bad, something like 40mg/per day. or 60mg. every other day

you think lighter acne reposnds better to accutane?

thanks for the replies guys, the only thing is, i wanna get on accutane, low dosage, probably around 20-40mg a day, but won't that just mean it will take 4-5 months to see facial clearing?? and wont the initial breakout, if it happens at all, just be longer than usual? people seem to get on higher doses like 60-80mg a day, and get a nasty breakout for a few weeks, then it starts getting better.....what i want to know is, which is the better off way to go? low dosage or High Dosage? cuz my acne is probably mild/moderate, and it seems to get shitty around the cold weather.

I am in the same shoes man!

I have mild-moderate and trying to get on low dosage, and i think for people with our kind of acne, low dosage should do wonders.... with minimal side effects

I am 6'2", 190 pounds, and i am supposed to take like 80mg, but if i took 40mg. or 60mg, i think i would benefit from it a great deal ..i dont mind taking it for more than 5 months, i am just scared about the intensity of the side effects...

i am fed up with acne already man! i hope one day I dont have to wash my face 3-4 times a day, and keep applying creams and lotions to my poor face

low doses it will take the 4-5 month to be about 100 clear, cause it takes 3 months to a pimple to form. if take low dose probablt take it for a coulpe of more months.

sypm x, what is klaron?

klaron i a nightim lotion i put on she said it works well for mild/moderate acne...and its a 10% , i been using it for 3 weeks, and it seems to be working very lightly, very non irritating , she said to give it up to 6-8 weeks combined with the clindamycin i put on during the day and it should work.

Ok heres the deal. Right now I have a little bit of acne, because of the initial break out, but when I started taking accutane this time I had only a few pimples. I have heard this before "I am just tired of taking the roller coaster ride..." and thats exactly where Im at right now. Mild to Moderate acne. In the same shoes as you guys. Its better than the cystic acne I use to have before my first accutane treatments but I would still like to have 100% clear skin, or at least as close as possible. I talked to my Derm about putting me on a low dose such as 40mg a day but she said that you should just take the recommended dosage for your weight regardless of the severity of your acne. I am about 6 foot - 145lbs. I take 60mg a day. If you are about 160 lbs or so I am guessing you might be up to the 80mg a day. Im sure the reason that they like to keep the dosages proper according to wieght is to make sure that after treatment, your acne does not re-occur. Talk to your derm, and see what he/she says but my derm is really good and I trust her opinion alot. As long as you dont have any of the uncommon side effects, and you know how to handle the common ones, it is really not that bad anyway. Definitely worth the clear skin.

peace

-Cory

Hey............what does accutane do to the scarring?

What i mean is when the accutane treatment is complete, will ur face be clear of acne but scarred? or will scars be cleared up a bit too?

And what is the chance of acne coming back after the treatment is complete? Sorry for all dese questions... :D

Dato,

I was probably in the mild-moderate acne zone. Normally I wouldn't have that many pimples, but they always lingered on and almsot always left red marks, making my skin terribly blotchy.

As far as whether low dosage or high dosage works better, couldn't tell ya really. I do know that lower dosages have weaker side effects. My doctor started me on 20mg a pill and told me that he'd boost me up to 40mg a day if I was doing okay with the side effects. I do believe that this stepping up process would be better, allowing your body to adjust to the medicine. My doc (not a derm, so maybe he doesn't deal with this as much) told me that he hasn't had a single patient get acne again, so I'm very hopeful that this stepping process is the trick and that he has complete faith in the drug. So, take that as you will...

And this post reminds me that I need to go take my pill.

yea since im 155-160 pounds, i think i would wanna do the 40mg a day...i wonder what the highest you can take is.....is it like 100mg? for 2 months.....my derm told me that if i got on accutane, i wouldnt be on it longer than 4 months. so i dont know....its all weird.