Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WildFlower

Primer and breakouts

I noticed that my mineral makeup sinks into my shallow scars and makes them appear much worse than they really are. So I've been searching for a solution and decided to try a primer underneath my makeup to help "fill in" my scars. After reading a lot of reviews on different brands of primer, I decided to give Clinique Pore Minimizer Perfector a try. I bought it yesterday but I'm terrified to try it because I'm affraid it will break me out. It took a long time and a lot of patience to clear my skin so I would really HATE to break out again.

What's your experience with primer? Which one have you tried and did it break you out??

Thanks in advance!

I have it the Clinique, but I can't really vouch for it. While it's never broken me out, I've only ever used it along my nose and the sides of my nose. The worst I've gotten is the tiniest of pimples on my nose which even a clear person wouldn't complain about.

It didn't really fill in much for me, though I'm looking to fill in holes from extracted blackheads so who knows.

I use monistat anti chafing gel. It does the same thing. I use it everyday and it hasn't bothered me. I put it on top of my sunscreen. I do have breakouts but I just started with a retinol. I've been using it to help with oily skin and not so much for scarring.

Have you tried 'setting' your base with a spritz of water? I put on a touch of the foundation and then spritz with a little bit of water and go over that lightly kind of patting my skin with the brush bristles. Then I go over that with a little finishing powder. It seems to smooth it a little.

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, a relatively well known primer, made me break out like crazy after a couple days. It was great except for that. Acutally Smashbox products in general tend to break me out. They contain a lot of nasty chemicals and oils and silicones... ew. Yeah I'd try the Monistat stuff. It's supposed to be pretty good. And with all primers, remember to apply a very sheer layer to clean, dry skin and let it dry before using foundation. :)

Thanks guys. I tried the primer yesterday (the Clinique) and I was pleasantly surprised at how it really hid my pores and smoothed out my scars. Plus it kept me shine free all day!! Now I just have to wait and see if I break out :pray:

If it breaks me out, I'm going to try the Monistat.

i've tried the clinique pore minimizer and i returned it because it didn't help my makeup last. i asked two of the clinique ladies if it should be used as a primer .. one said yes and the other said no. lol. i will say it did help smooth my skin's texture.

as of right now, i use monistat .. i've been using it for almost a year and it hasn't broke me out. i've also used the bare minerals prime time and that also didn't break me out and it helped my make up stay on for a good while. i'm interested in trying the serious skin care a-primer. has anyone tried that?

Face Primers main ingredients are DIMETHICONE. Dimethicone is a silicone based ingredient that acts as a humectant by putting a layer over the skin to hold in moisture. The problem is unlike glycerine which is absorbed by the skin holding in moisture, dimethicone does not absorb and sits on the skin like a mask, clogging pores and breaking you out. PRIMERS WITH DIMETHICONE WILL BREAK YOU OUT! Stay away from any skincare using dimethicone, mineral oil, or propelyne glycol. They will break you out. Good luck!

I think the primer from Mac is great and so is the one by Dior! Neither have irritated my skin, i dont use them anymore though bc i cant afford it. But i have noticed that by takening it out of my makeup regimen that my skin actually looks better now. But Mac is the best and the cheapest.