Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettybow

Did everyone experience HAIR LOSS on B-5? What can I expect?

Im wondering if everyone will have hairloss doing the B-5 or not, and if so, is the 2-3 mgs of biotin enough? Im a girl, so hair is important!!!- not that it isnt important to a guy, but Its a little harder to cover it up, ya know!

Im wondering if everyone will have hairloss doing the B-5 or not, and if so, is the 2-3 mgs of biotin enough? Im a girl, so hair is important!!!- not that it isnt important to a guy, but Its a little harder to cover it up, ya know!

While on B5 I definitely experienced noticeable hairloss. When combing just the front after a shower, I'd have 5 or six hairs with each comb stroke.

While on B5 I definitely experienced noticeable hairloss. When combing just the front after a shower, I'd have 5 or six hairs with each comb stroke.

5-6 is hairs is nothing. On average people lose 50-100 hairs and thats normal, meaning no loss. When you start to see 20-30 in the comb then be worried, because that means through out the day your losing more.

I suffered from hairloss while on b5. I was on it for 35 days, and stopped when things got hairy (no pun). Its been about 2 months maybe a bit more, and things seems stable. However, if one were on b5 longer it might take longer.

Theres a theory that its not a biotin defcicny that causes hairloss, but a cystine defcicny. There are two studies over at pub med, that use panthine (which is what your body turns b5 into) to lower cystine leves in people with cytinosis (high cystine levels). That being said, your hair is comprised of 15% cystine as well as other amino acids. If panthine was able to decrease their levels immensly then maybe thats why hairloss occurs. Your body does naturaly produce cystine, but if its constantly being depleted through b5 then there is no stablization. L-methonie is another amino acid thats works with cystine or gets depleted as well, I cant remember. You can take these as supplements. However if you want to get some cystine you have to look for Acetyl L-Carnitine, which is a stronger form anyways.

PS: I was on 5mg of biotin, 150 B-complex and a multi vitamin the WHOLE time I was taking B5 and still suffered from hairloss. Everyone is different, but when I was popping those pills I felt very tired sometimes, and had the worst time in the bathroom. It wasnt worth it, and nor is it worth it if there is a POSSIBILTY that you may lose your hair. If you really want to take b5, take panthine instead.