Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

mineral makeup giving me acne?

I've been breaking out terribly lately. And I mean absolutely horribly. My skin was doing okay last month.. I had some hormonal breakouts due to starting birth control (on my chin and jawline and some on my forehead.) Then I decided to order mineral makeup (smokey mountain minerals to be exact), thinking it would calm my skin down! This formula has no bismuth, but it has lots of mica.

Anyways, since using it, I've been getting cysts and whiteheads all over the apples of my cheeks and by my nose, where I don't break out that often in the first place! Has anyone else had this problem since using a mica based mineral makeup? :cry: I'll go back to liquid foundation in the mean time..

Yup. Mica breaks me out on painful, angry under the skin cheek lumps. Sometimes between the brow bumps. I don't really have any advice for you on the mineral makeup front - none of the foundations sans mica have coverage worth a darn.

The maybelline stuff is decent, but the palest color is too dark for me - so I bet it's too dark for you too. I sometimes use it as a concealer and use loose powder over the top - this works ok, color evens out.

If you have an Ulta near you call 'em up and see if they carry Prestige Wet/Dry powder in Warm Ivory (some Ulta's have it, some don't). It's about $6, doesn't break me out, and can be layered for max coverage - dry gives better cover than wet. And it's pale enough.

I've been breaking out terribly lately. And I mean absolutely horribly. My skin was doing okay last month.. I had some hormonal breakouts due to starting birth control (on my chin and jawline and some on my forehead.) Then I decided to order mineral makeup (smokey mountain minerals to be exact), thinking it would calm my skin down! This formula has no bismuth, but it has lots of mica.

Anyways, since using it, I've been getting cysts and whiteheads all over the apples of my cheeks and by my nose, where I don't break out that often in the first place! Has anyone else had this problem since using a mica based mineral makeup? :cry: I'll go back to liquid foundation in the mean time..

Jane Iredale makes awesome mineral powder for people w acne, since switching to it it has helped my acne and I have tried ALL of them: Laura Mercier, Bare Essentials, DIOR, and more...

Jane Iredale makes awesome mineral powder for people w acne, since switching to it it has helped my acne and I have tried ALL of them: Laura Mercier, Bare Essentials, DIOR, and more...

:think: interesting. i read really mixed reviews on the jane iredale stuff.

All mineral makeup has been so bad for my skin, it's pretty much part of the reason I went on accutane. I'd stay far away from it honestly...it can react really badly with some people's skin

Does it contain kaolin clay?

Only that made me break out badly once. I switched formulas from the same brand (Melange) and used the same mineral foundation but with kaolin clay added as I wanted greater coverage. It broke me out, where as the orignal formula without it didn't.

Woah I'm glad to hear that you all have had problems with mineral makeup too! (Well, not GLAD that it gave you skin problems, but that I'm not the only one whos been suffering from MMU breakouts.)

I'll stay far away for now. The weird thing is though, I can use physicians formula mineral wear pressed powder without any problems. However, the "natural" mineral makeup I used seemed to have a lot more mica in it because my face looked really shiny from the mica particles. I haven't used my mineral makeup in a few days now and things are already calming. However, I also started using a new salicylic acid treatment, so that could be helping as well.

I just read a section in the February 09 issue of Allure Magazine that says: If you have acne, make sure your mineral foundation doesn't contain dimethicone, which can cause breakouts. Try Glominerals GloLoose Base or Laura Mercier Mineral Powder.

I personally am not sure about either of these products.... I checked out both of their websites and the Glominerals.com has the worst looking before and after photos I think I've ever seen. So, I just don't know if I should stay away from mineral make-up all together. ?????

Dimethicone is a fairly easy ingredient to avoid when buying mineral powders. EDM, for instance, contains no dimethicone - it's basically pure, mica-based pigment. It's not hard to isolate what factors are causing the acne in this case, and it's impossible to get a non-mica based mineral makeup, so any who *is* sensitive to mica is out of luck. The best you'll be able to find is one with less mica, and that won't give good coverage.

HatinMyAcne, if you've never tried mineral makeup before you should give it a shot. I think EDM is a good place to start to find out if you're sensitive to mica. They have a sample kit that's free, and you pay only shipping.

Maybe I will give EDM a try. I have tried mineral makeup in the past. Sheer Cover and a few others. They didn't add anything more to my existing acne. Thanks duchamp!

EDM broke me out horribly! I am sensitive to mica, and I would expect most acne prone people are, too. Mica is a natural pigment that has jagged edges. While buffing this onto your skin, it can cause tiny tears which allow for more bacteria penetration. I cannot use any mineral makeup, unfortunately. I did love the light coverage, though. Right now I am using Revlon Colorstay with pretty good results. It has a really good coverage and the lightest color is light enough for my ivory skin.

I love Everyday Minerals but those sensitive to mica should not use it. EDM actually makes my skin look and feel better (likely the exfoliation from buffing it in) the day after using it. When I wear it a week straight, my skin is visibly clearer of tiny comedones. But that's ME. ;)

The thing is mica is in almost every commercial makeup line, revlon, maybelline, neutrogena, etc... Just because they do not say mineral makeup dosen't mean they are free of mica. As a matter of fact mineral makeup ingredients are usually pretty similar to traditional forms of makeup only they are usually more pure leaving out the chemicals and other irritating ingredients. I personally have found out it is usually not the mineral makeup but the brushes (need to be cleaned) that can be a problem (they harbour bacteria if not cleaned frequently) and don't forget sometimes just switching brands can bring on a breakout at first. The thing that makes mineral makeup so much better is the abscence of the harmful chemicals in everyday drugstore brands. Dimethicone is a big one, it is in most drugstore brands and so is mineral oil. Both are terrible for acne prone skin. Mineral oil clogs pores as the molecules are too big to cross the skin barrier and dimethicone is from the silicone family, it puts a seal over the skin not allowing the skin to breathe, causing breakouts. What is amazing is they have these ingredinets in most of their products that are labeled NON ACNEOGENIC or NON COMEDOGENIC. This makes me mad because I used these products for years, experiencing horrible breakouts often just from these products. I would say if you really want to be sure it is the mica or mineral makeup you are allergic to you need to try another brand and see if it occurs again. Make sure you are using new or clean brushes and be aware of anything else new that you have started or tried near the same time that could be causing adverse effects. And as mentioned above stay away from any mineral makeup that contains dimethicone. I know that LA Minerals does contain Dimethicone. I wouldn't stay away from minerals altogether though as in the long run they really are better for your skin and your health altogether. I personally thank mineral makeup everyday of my life for my face clearing up.

Regimen

internally: omega tri pill (borage, flaxseed, fish oil mix)

burdock root extract- by mouth twice daily

natural multivitamin

acidopholus

externally: faerie organic's acne kit- citrus cleanser, acne serum and moisturizer

Faerie Organic Minerals- original finish mineral foundation

Lots of mineral makeup brands give me problems, as well. Lots of makeup brands, in general, give me problems.

Weirdly enough, the only makeup that does not break me out is L'Oreal Bare Naturale.

I spent almost three years sampling and buying MMU foundations and never found one that didn't break me out, stayed on all day and covered worth anything. I have a closet full of MMU, and went back to Revlon Colorstay six months ago. My skin hasn't gotten any worse (or better) and it's about a billion times easier than MMU... for me, anyhow.

My niece who had just a few breakouts now and then, got much worse after using bare mineral makeup (within months). Then, only after we asked, the dermatologist admitted that bismuth , as related to salt, could definitely be a problem. In the meantime, most are advising patients to use mineral makeup. We found the only somewhat decent mineral makeups are INIKA (no talc, no bismuth (salt related)and some other ingredients , irritants and Jane Iridele. she uses inika, although pretty expensive compared to bare minerals, it looks just as richly air brushed beautiful as she wants whereas, iridele looked a little too powdery for her taste and it had an ingredient she was unsure about. But another big thing is We really believe that most of the shampoos/conditioners, cleansers (even murad) , moisturizers and especially those makeup primers are the real culprits with many breakouts. There isnt too much on this because the so called experts say that dimethicone is non comedogenic..... but CHRISTOPHER DRUMMONDS' BEAUTY ARTICLE ON DIMETHICONE (silicone) explains in detail how it causes a barrier of bacteria in addition to anything else thats underneath it - this is BAD STUFF.. We have also come to realize, that something (or somethings) in the shampoos/cond are causing her skin to breakout. After she showers, if the suds even touch just one side of her face by accident - her face will get a break out on that side within a matter of 12 hours! We have seen this over and over again, but any good shampoo/condit has got all these lousy ingredients. So now, immediately after the shampoo gets rinsed off, she takes her cup of apple cider vinegar/water combo and dabs her face with a cotton ball to hopefully, break-down those ingredients in the shampoo, then she does the same thing after the conditioner. i hope this works, they tell you to use ACV after hair product residue buildup, so i would think it should remove it from skin as well.

On moisturizer - searched high and low for something without any silicones, fragrance, oil etc etc . the only one im somewhat impressed with is 'boscia' oil free, spf 15 , made from botanicals. it is light, and a real nice feel to it. It is expensive $27 for a smallish tube, but maybe one of the only products without a lot of troubling ingredients. also, i dont know whether makeup primer is good idea or not. on one hand, it protects the skin from the mineral makeup but they smooth the skin -therefore that question 'what the heck is in it to slick the skin? comes to mind of course. When i research, i found only one, water based primer - lorac aqua primer no oil , no silicone no parabens or fragrance but it smoothes the skin and it has acrylates , its not a silicone, but it must work similar to silicone as a skin smoother.. does anyone know anything about acrylates and breakouts? thanks

I don't think the mineral makeup was my culprit. I believe the breakout I was having was still from my initial breakout on starting birth control pills. My skin is starting to clear up now and I started using the MMU again.. and I've had no problems. I'll even sleep with it at night if I sleep at my bf's (I'll wash my face and put treatment on before-hand of course.)

When I used Bare minerals for the first time i thought it cleared me up completely, but for the past three months i have been getting breakouts and I don't know what to make of it????? I have been using Dan's regimen for only a week and it has helped. I don't know if I should stay with bare minerals or find something else????????????? please help.

I have been on bare minerals for almost one year now!!!!!!! so I don't know if its the cause of my recent breakouts or its because I have been stressed out???

i think that almost anything CAN cause certain people to break out. everyone is different, and there are so many different ingredients and so many products available now a days, seems pretty likely that sensitive skin would react to something out there. I think that the best way to avoid the possibility of this happening is to use as few products as possible, with as few ingredients. change your routine one step at a time. For example, if you go on birth control, you should wait before changing your makeup routine, otherwise you won't know what is causing any potential reactions in your skin. i use mineral makeup sparingly and it has never bothered me. However, if I use products that contain soy or wheat, I'll definitely break out. If I started using a new moisturizer that contained soy, and also changed my make-up at the same time, I wouldn't know what was breaking me out. That's why its best to make changes slowly. Think of it as an allergy- what works for some may not work for others.

the industry claims that dimethicone is non comedogenic - non absorbed into pores = but what they are not telling you is that it has the substance to not only seal in moisture but seals in EVERYTHING thats in, on and under your skin, including sebum and bacteria. Toxins cannot be released. It is being compared to having PLASTIC WRAP" against your skin because your skin cannot breathe. But another big problem with it is that some forms of dimethicone & other silicones are not water soluble.

the industry claims that dimethicone is non comedogenic - non absorbed into pores = but what they are not telling you is that it has the substance to not only seal in moisture but seals in EVERYTHING thats in, on and under your skin, including sebum and bacteria. Toxins cannot be released. It is being compared to having PLASTIC WRAP" against your skin because your skin cannot breathe. But another big problem with it is that some forms of dimethicone & other silicones are not water soluble.

:banana:

mineral makeup did the exact same thing to me.

To what industry are you referring?

And can you cite a source that supports your assertion that dimethicone is like plastic wrap?

I would agree if you applied dimethicone straight to your skin it would have an adverse affect. But I hesitate to believe that dimethicone used as one of many ingredients in a product would cause an issue if removed properly on a daily basis.

You're certainly right about most 'cones: they aren't usually water soluble (some are, but you're right, most aren't, particularly dimethicone). But most of us don't just wash our faces with water. I know I don't. If you use a product that removes silicones on a daily basis, then you're fine. Some of the products that remove silicones are problematic in their own right, specifically sulfates, but not all are that bad.

And to add to all that, dimethicone helps create a barrier for the skin against pollution getting into the skin.

Fact of the matter is, regardless of how heinous any one ingredient is capable of being for one person doesn't mean it's going to do any damage to another person. I've been using a drugstore makeup with dimethicone and a bunch of other seemingly nasty things in it for months and I haven't had one single problem with it-- UNLESS I don't remove it properly at the end of the day. But 12 hours of wear hasn't been a problem at all.

Yup. Mica breaks me out on painful, angry under the skin cheek lumps. Sometimes between the brow bumps. I don't really have any advice for you on the mineral makeup front - none of the foundations sans mica have coverage worth a darn.

The maybelline stuff is decent, but the palest color is too dark for me - so I bet it's too dark for you too. I sometimes use it as a concealer and use loose powder over the top - this works ok, color evens out.

If you have an Ulta near you call 'em up and see if they carry Prestige Wet/Dry powder in Warm Ivory (some Ulta's have it, some don't). It's about $6, doesn't break me out, and can be layered for max coverage - dry gives better cover than wet. And it's pale enough.

Are you predisposed to acne? If someone is predisposed to acne make up isnt the underlying cause of acne. How do you know shes not purging?