Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's a list of stuff I've used and why I do or don't like it:

Neutrogena Extra Gentle facial cleanser - made face oily, friend of blackheads

Cetaphil gentle - blackheads, skin felt like it needed exfoliation, didn't remove makeup nearly well enough

Olay gentle foaming - made blackheads worse

J&J softwash calming body wash - "

Cetaphil mormal-oily: very, very drying

Purpose (pump): too drying

Neutrogena gentle daily scrub cleanser: perfect size exfoliating particles, removed makeup, too much work to rinse off bc of the scrubby particles.

neutrogena blackhead scrub: doesn't work well as cleanser (need separate cleanser) - doesn't remove makeup, difficult to rinse bc of particles

C&C blackhead clearing scrub: "

C&C wash w/ bp: WAY too drying

Neutrogena bp cleanser/mask: too drying, seems to irritate acne sometimes.

Origins Checks and Balances: too drying, left film on face and was difficult to rinse (felt like soap in that it left this film on skin that my hands wouldn't glide over while trying to rinse it off).

Clearasil Total control: sort of a lotion cleanser with scrubby particles. Leaves skin exfoliated. Did better job of removing my makeup than most lotion cleansers - though still not completely adequate at this task. Surprisingly easy to rinse off.

Exuviance sensitive skin facial cleanser: too gentle. skin felt like it needed exfoliation.

Exuviance non-sensitive cleanser (foaming): too drying. I gave the rest to my mom who really likes it - it does a good job of removing blackheads according to her.

Aveeno clear complexion w/ 0.5% SA: this stuff was fairly gentle, and left skin feeling adequately exfoliated.

Rachel Perry Tangerine: just bought it and tried it yesterday. so far, it doesn't seem to be too drying, and it contains AHA's so it will hopefully take care of the blackheads. my blackheads are pretty minimal this morning so it might be doing its job. I love their moisturizer as well, and keep rebuying that.

SUMMARY: as far as the blackheads on my nose and chin are concerned, there IS such a thing as too gentle. There is also such a thing as too harsh.

my favorites of above: Rachel Perry Tangerine facial wash, Aveeno clear complexion, Clearasil Total Control

Recently I've been on an 'all-natural' binge and have been trying natural products. This is the latest cleanser I picked up at my health food store --> Desert Essence Castile Liquid Soap with 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil - This one contains castile soap, coconut oil, olive oil and tea tree oil. It squirts out watery but lathers very nicely. I have no idea how good it is with makeup tho. 8-[ The price is nice too.

But! I've read some rave reviews on this board papaya soap but of another brand, just under Search and you'll find them--if not, I'd happily oblige... biggrin.gif <3

But! I've read some rave reviews on this board papaya soap but of another brand, just under Search and you'll find them--if not, I'd happily oblige... biggrin.gif <3

Yeah I've heard of Likas and Curryboy's papaya soap. Supposesed to be great for exfoliating and removing dead skin. Not really supposed to be used as a daily though...

wow thanks for all the feedback guys!

ritzvin: yeah i agree that there is too harsh and too gentle. it seems like your skin is not as oily if the Cetaphil for normal/oily skin is too drying for you. it only kept my oil away for about 30min.

jc: natural may be the way to go but i'm a little weirded out by putting any kind of oils on my skin even if they are non-comedogenic. i'm such a serious oil slick with the changing weather i have to use oil-blotting papers like ever 3 hours.

kayli: i have searched for papaya soap on this forum as well as on the internet and the one that kept popping up was Hiyang (sp?) soap but it always displays an error message when i click on the link. what would you recommend?

jc:  natural may be the way to go but i'm a little weirded out by putting any kind of oils on my skin even if they are non-comedogenic.  i'm such a serious oil slick with the changing weather i have to use oil-blotting papers like ever 3 hours.

wow thanks for all the feedback guys!

ritzvin:  yeah i agree that there is too harsh and too gentle.  it seems like your skin is not as oily if the Cetaphil for normal/oily skin is too drying for you.  it only kept my oil away for about 30min.

jc:  natural may be the way to go but i'm a little weirded out by putting any kind of oils on my skin even if they are non-comedogenic.  i'm such a serious oil slick with the changing weather i have to use oil-blotting papers like ever 3 hours.

kayli:  i have searched for papaya soap on this forum as well as on the internet and the one that kept popping up was Hiyang (sp?) soap but it always displays an error message when i click on the link.  what would you recommend?

i'm such a serious oil slick with the changing weather i have to use oil-blotting papers like ever 3 hours.

Haha' date=' funny...and it's also why I always I check myself in my mirror like 9x times a day. I've always had runny make-up...so now in-between the day, I use Wet Ones to wipe off smudges and reapply fresh. What's your make-up regime? <3[/quote']

I usually have to fix my makeup after lunch and then again before leaving work. My noze and chin is usually oily looking by those times. I blot with a tissue and redab on powder (the NYC powder is pretty good about not caking on if you don't adequately blot all the oil, so I haven't been using oil-blotting papers). I then reapply and blot my lipstick; and brush my eyebrows.

bath and body still has those papers? i just went yesterday and the girl told me they didn't have any! hmph. you can always go to your local beauty wholesale place for oil papers. sally's has them for pretty cheap, if i remember correctly, with or without powder. but wet ones...i think i might try that sometime. does it have alcohol in it? i'm also too lazy to reapply makeup during the day.

since i have dark spots i dot foundation on them like a concealer. i don't usually cake on make-up...i let the spots show through because i don't want people to stare if i ever have to swim or take a shower and they see the real me spots and all. besides that, just a bit of eyeliner and i use waterproof mascara for brows as well as on lashes. all the other "brow gels" use to run...come to think of it, my eyeliner always runs no matter how hot it is. it sucks to have such oily skin!

thanks for the link Kayli...i decided to go with the sulfur soap since i have been dotting Queen Helene's and like how soft my face feels after. but i will save it on my favorites if this kavisoap doesn't cut it.

jc, yeah i've read your coconut oil thread! lol i'm glad its working for you!

jc, yeah i've read your coconut oil thread!  lol  i'm glad its working for you!

ritzvin--ha-ha, damn the nose and chin area...it’s the same for me as well. I use the Wet Ones instead of any tissue or oil-blotting paper because I dun wanna hafta to pile on another layer of make-up.

Every powder I’ve tried has been very uncooperative. Is your NYC translucent powder? I use that as well but still get the same effect...maybe I should bring along that huge face brush instead of using the sponge... :-k

malia--oh, that was like, six to twelve months ago...sorry. I haven’t been there for awhile; simply can’t stand their pushy salespersons and bad products (even with the nice packaging). I wipe with Wet Ones so I don’t pile on the make-up. If you’re interested in the towelettes, remember not to get the scented ones from Ponds, Olay or L’Oreal. They have an annoying scent that aggravated my skin and left this icky feeling. Eh, they all have alcohol but I still love it. Get the unscented, all-purpose wipes, even if they’re for kids--the best ones I’ve tried are the Wet Ones and Wal-Mart’s Equate.

And yes, I let them show too. Yeah, right now since my face been irritated and changing, I need an overall coverage so I'm doing exactly the same as you with the foundation. My make-up always runs but especially my eyeliner ...*sigh*...the wipes work well to get rid of those raccoon eyes. biggrin.gif GL with Queen Helene's, I love their mint mask…

?o=904763&t=2 --Kayli <3

ritzvin--ha-ha, damn the nose and chin area...it’s the same for me as well. I use the Wet Ones instead of any tissue or oil-blotting paper because I dun wanna hafta to pile on another layer of make-up. 

Every powder I’ve tried has been very uncooperative. Is your NYC translucent powder? I use that as well but still get the same effect...maybe I should bring along that huge face brush instead of using the sponge... :-k