Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is Retin-a and Aczone bad?

There are tons of complaints of retin-a and aczone users.. i suggest to stay away from them intirely..

wynne and acne_battle stay out of my threads. thanks.

*entirely

lol, Wynne is a mod - she doesn't go away just cuz you want to go on a tangent unchecked.

i've moisturized everyday since i was 17. I'm am very into moisturizing - even with my oily skin. i love it. my skin is very soft and supple....around my acne.

hehe. i guess my point is that everyone's skin is different. over-drying the skin can lead to an increase in breakouts. but even when your skin is supper moisturized, some people still suffer from acne.

i went years w/o using any drugs on my skin to prevent acne. only using soap and moisturizer. but eventually, my skin started to break out like i was 15 again.

i'm using Aczone now. so far, its has been the best thing for my skin. it doesn't dry me out at all!

good luck to everyone!

Why is Retin-a and Aczone bad?

There are tons of complaints of retin-a and aczone users.. i suggest to stay away from them intirely..

wynne and acne_battle stay out of my threads. thanks.

Not everyone has the same skin and you need to understand that

I don't moisturized because my face is very oily..

Sebum isn't associated with the moisture content of your skin.

I cannot agree with the idea that Benzoyl Peroxide is the worst thing for your skin. I've been using it for 4 months, along with taking Erythromycin x 4 daily and it has worked wonders.

I've been off BP for about a week now and I wanna get back on it so badly...I broke out cause I started using Clean and Clear exfoliating scrub and it frigged up my face so much. The only reason why I'm not using BP right now is 'cause I have a micro tomorrow.

Why does this thread have to flame BP? =/ I thought it was working fantastic. I started cutting down to only applying it at night before bed and I was loving it. I'm gonna get back onto the regimen in about 3 days, so I think I'm gonna finish my bottle and see how my skin reacts for about a week.

I know everyones skin is different, but I just don't get how I have to deal with acne issues even when I take care of my body and my skin SO well, and then there's people who could care less about what they eat, drink, and wash with and they have so much nicer skin that me. It's sickening and probably the most depressing thing in the world. =/

i've moisturized everyday since i was 17. I'm am very into moisturizing - even with my oily skin. i love it. my skin is very soft and supple....around my acne.

hehe. i guess my point is that everyone's skin is different. over-drying the skin can lead to an increase in breakouts. but even when your skin is supper moisturized, some people still suffer from acne.

i went years w/o using any drugs on my skin to prevent acne. only using soap and moisturizer. but eventually, my skin started to break out like i was 15 again.

i'm using Aczone now. so far, its has been the best thing for my skin. it doesn't dry me out at all!

good luck to everyone!

Sorry but I find that strange. I mean what's the difference between having a layer of natural oil on your face and slapping on moisturizer?

I mean if you really wanted you could rub your face to work in the sebum? lol.

I disagree. Whenever I moisturize, my face feels and looks more oily than when I dont

I used to have oily skin before the regimen. Maybe the BP helped with the oiliness, but I think "heavy" moisturizing also helped it out.

My skin is so "balanced" right now on the regimen, and I think it has something to do with all the moisturizers I use. (I also use a homemade tinted moisturizer made up of Olay SPF and Everyday Minerals on top of my regular moisturizer made up of Olay SPF and Lac-hydrin). My skin feels so supple :)

Molly (acne_battle) - have you tried Olay SPF for sensitive skin? I'm surprised that you find your skin feels oily after that. I'm sorry you can't find your "perfect moisturizer." I like to think that everyone has one. It takes time too for your skin to find it's "balance." Also, sometimes your "perfect moisturizer" isn't one specific product, but could be a combination like with me. :)

Good luck all.

I disagree. Whenever I moisturize, my face feels and looks more oily than when I dont

Oil is not moisture. Moisture content of the skin has only as much to do with sebum in so far as sebum MAY prevent transepidermal moisture loss.

Oil is not moisture. Moisture content of the skin has only as much to do with sebum in so far as sebum MAY prevent transepidermal moisture loss.

And it apparently doesn't even do THAT to any significant extent.

bryan, have you read research that free fatty acids stimulate protease enzymes that help stimulate cell sloughing? If there are no free fatty acids, then cells begin to pile up. This is a possible mechanism why sebum helps keep skin feeling more moisturized.

And it apparently doesn't even do THAT to any significant extent.

Well moisturizers make me more oily and they dont work for me. Wynne, whats your point?

Well moisturizers make me more oily and they dont work for me. Wynne, whats your point?

Exactly what I stated is my point.

Exactly what I stated is my point.

Well paraphrase what youre saying because I dont understand what you mean. A moisturizer isnt the same as just moisture.

You disagreed with: Sebum is not associated with the moisture content of your skin.

However, the above statement is true.

You disagreed with: Sebum is not associated with the moisture content of your skin.

However, the above statement is true.

What on earth are you talking about? Comedogenic ingredients in a moisturizer is different than moisture in the air! Im talking about moisturizer, products we put on our faces!

That is what I'm talking about.

That is what I'm talking about.

Oh good lord! You never listen to me and you always insist your right on everything and I get tired of you repeating yourself using the same exact words. That doesnt make me agree with your perspective and it makes me not want to read what you have to contribute

bryan, have you read research that free fatty acids stimulate protease enzymes that help stimulate cell sloughing? If there are no free fatty acids, then cells begin to pile up. This is a possible mechanism why sebum helps keep skin feeling more moisturized.

Hasn't the presence of free fatty acids in or on the skin (apparently produced by the enzymatic degradation of sebum by bacteria like P acnes) generally been considered a bad thing, by producing irritation and inflammation? :)

acne_battle:

Why did you disagree with the statement that sebum is not associated with the moisture content of the skin?

Yes, of course. A dermatologist interestingly told me once never to use antibacterials for that reason if I'm dealing comedones. The bacteria degrades the sebum to free fatty acids that stimulate the enzyme that sloughs out the comedones.

Hasn't the presence of free fatty acids in or on the skin (apparently produced by the enzymatic degradation of sebum by bacteria like P acnes) generally been considered a bad thing, by producing irritation and inflammation? :)