Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) and Hair Loss: Good Results

MemberMember
(@artlan)

Posted : 04/17/2004 8:48 pm

Hey Guys & Girls!

Everyone who's suffering hair loss due to Vitamin B5..... there's hope.

After continiously trying to stop my hair loss, nothing seemed to work. I've tried almost everything it seems, from Biotin to B-Complex to Saw Palmetto to Zinc to L-Arginine....

I was getting frasturated as nothing seemed to help. On another board, a user suggested that Pantothenic Acid depletes L-Cysteine, an essential Amino Acid that makes up about 15% of our hair.

Without much hesitation, and with nothing to lose I ordered N-Acetyl-Cysteine (A much more potent form of L-cysteine that absorbs better). I decided to take it along with Biotin and L-Methionine (another amino acid that is responsible for hair health).

Here's my regimen for the past 14 days:

Regime:

Morning Before Food:

L-Methionine (500mg)

Morning After Food:

Biotin (5mg)

N-Acetyl-Cysteine (500mg)

Afternoon After Food:

Evening After Food:

Biotin (3 x 300mg)

Night

L-Methionine (500mg)

Now here's something interesting, I haven't noticed any positive results untill the 13th day, on which I decided to wash my hair before bed. Usually I wake up in the morning, I wash my hair, I put on some gel and then I head to school. Very rarely have I washed my hair before going to sleep. The reason for that is that my hair has no life/volume so me washing my hair at the evening before bed, would make me wake up with brittle and unhealthy hair.

Back to the story, I decided to wash my hair before bed with Nizoral, as I have dandruff (dry, itchy scalp) and managed to get a few samples online of this anti-dandruff Shampoo. The next morning the overall condition and look of my hair has improved slightly. However, when I washed and gelled my hair, very few hairs actually came out. I used to lose upwards 100 hairs every time I would wash my hair. So this is a major improvement for me.

That day, I went out with my girlfriend. We came home late so I decided not to wash my hair. The next morning, the hair loss was more noticeable than the previous day, in fact, I would say it was a tad/bit less than all the previous times.

Now I don't know what to make of this. Perhaps I am seeing a small improvement, perhaps I am just jumping the gun, but either way I decided to update my fellow friends who suffer from the same problem as I do.

I'll give it a go again in a couple of days, I'll try to leave my hair gelled when I go to bed, and see the next morning if more hair falls out.

Now, I don't see any re-growth thus far, nor do I see any vellous hairs. So I am hoping this would eventually come.

Here's my update, definitely much better than it was last time. How are you guys doing?

Anything new, that's working, or not working?

MemberMember
(@stantheman3)

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:20 pm

Hey. I have been on b5 for two months and have had my hair thin very noticeably. also losing about 20 hairs in shower and 20 hairs when i gel up. Have been using rogaine for 2 yrs so this is NEW amount of hair loss.

Did you permanantly get your hair back with this regimen?

Anyone else have this experience w/ b5 and get it to grow back.

I'm going to stop b5... it works so well but hair is more important to me.

please let me know... anyone with experience.

MemberMember
(@blue09)

Posted : 12/13/2013 7:09 pm

Artlan and update on your hair

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 02/08/2014 5:33 am

I took large doses of pantothenic acid for a couple of months, then 0.5 - 1.0 gram daily for a couple of years. I still continue to take a 0.5 gram capsule once in a while, once or twice a week. I can't remember exactly when I started taking vitamin b5, but must be at least 5 years ago.

I never noticed any of the hair loss some people mention associated with taking high doses, that is until starting about a little over a year ago. So who knows if taking b5 has anything to do with my thinning hair, probably just part of getting older, I started noticing around when I turned 30.

I also started having oilier scalp with flaky scales, which I thought was just dandruff so I tried the usual dandruff shampoos but didn't help. Later I came to find out it most likely is seborrheic dermatitis.

So later I tried the Nizoral shampoo, which the OP also mention used, and after a couple of uses it completely cleared the condition and also greatly decreased the amount of hair being shed.

I used nizoral for the seborrheic dermatitis, the reduction in hair loss was just a greatly appreciated bonus. Later I found out many people use this shampoo for hair loss.

So my guess is the OP saw improvement because of the nizoral shampoo.

BTW last year there was a shortage of this shampoo so I could not use it for most of the year. I tried others that were supposed to have the same active ingredient, but they did not seem to help much, if at all.