Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misscruella16

Butylene glycol in Dan's BP causing cystic acne

Hi, Dan apparently has changed his BP formula to include Butylene glycol, an ingredients which causes cystic acne for some. I started using Dan's BP and sure enough developed cysts when I never get cysts. I had used other 2.5% benzoyl peroxide creams with no problems before. If you want more information check out www.makupalley.com and type in "butylene glycol" in the search box and a whole bunch of posts will come up.

I have been getting more cysts ever since I started the regimen. Could that ingredient be causing it? It may all make sense now. I used Neutrogena On-The-Spot BP for almost 2 months before switching to Dan's BP. I had a HUGE cyst the morning after I used Dan's BP for the first time. I also drank and stayed up late so that probably contributed to it. I have a very wide scar from that cyst too..... hmmmmmm

I have had 6 cysts since I started using Dan's BP, an average of over one per month. They are all on my left cheek too. I use to only get a cyst about every 3-6 months. If butylene glycol is causing this, I want to stop using Dan's BP asap. At least on my left cheek. Can somebody confirm this?

Hi, Dan apparently has changed his BP formula to include Butylene glycol, an ingredients which causes cystic acne for some. I started using Dan's BP and sure enough developed cysts when I never get cysts. I had used other 2.5% benzoyl peroxide creams with no problems before. If you want more information check out www.makupalley.com and type in "butylene glycol" in the search box and a whole bunch of posts will come up.

Not everyone will have the same reaction to the butylene glycol as you've already pointed out. This should be something an acne sufferer should easily understand. So why are you making an unsupported claim that it will cause cysts for everyone using Dan's BP? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you've already caused enough doubt in people's minds that they've jumped on your bandwagon.

ex. mimie2022

Dan switched to butylene glycol about a year ago, I think? I've used both the old formulations and the current one. I have not experienced any extra breakouts from the change to butylene glycol from propylene glycol, and I certainly have used both versions long enough to notice if there were a difference.

I hope this post doesn't scare anyone off. I've been totally cleared from the regimen, it got RID OF my cystic acne. And I've only used Dan's current BP.

These people have no evidence to back up their claims. Stop scaring people on here, and if you're going to make a claim like that you better provide ample evidence. As of now, this is just your opinion. You might as well say anything. Hey everybody, the sky is green! Since I said it on a message board it must be true!

Also, to the person who said that they got a cyst a day after using Dan's BP for the first time...it is just about impossible for you to get a cyst that fast from the anything. Usually it takes two weeks for acne to form and actually come up to your skin where you can see it. I highly doubt Dan's BP is the cause.

I am still trying to figure this out - but I think the Butylene Glycol change to the BP was done in 2007. Not recently. Dan might have to come on here and confirm that. This is why I have posted a new topic JUST on Acne.org ingredient changes - so that you all can get an answer to this.

They did recently change the ingredients in the DK wash/cleanser. Just so you know. But the BP change was in 2007 I believe.

actually i posted a thread, along with a few others asking if they experienced the same thing, having cystic acne.

i guess to me, this is the only downside for Dan's BP.

Did you only start getting cystic acne recently? I've been getting it too - but nothing recently (that I know of) has changed with the DK Lotion/BP since at least way last year?

I posted a message on here - and found out that it wasn't a change with the lotion/BP - but they took out a microbodial ingredient from the Dk WASH. The 2 days I started using the new wash - I was getting cystic acne. Still (a week later) trying to heal.

Are you just using Dan's BP? I know I read a thread that it hasn't changed in a year - and I've never gotten cystic acne from his BP - but the wash - YES.

Well.... if it's only a small percentage of people I feel that they should examine their own personal routines/diets/ any new factors in their life that may have lead to the development of cystic acne.

Also, if people who have just started using the regiment don't develop cystic acne then that most likely will say something. Seeing as the change has been made a while ago, and Dan himself has said that the changes are microscopic and shouldn't effect people, I really doubt that the new products cause cystic acne. More people would have brought this to attention.

But yeah, I agree that people should stop saying that it causes cystic acne for some. When I read that, I immediately started to regret ordering my starter kit until I continued to read and found out it was isolated to only a few and even then, coupled with their habits, it seems unlikely for the products to be the cause. And people are citing different things as the cause also which just lends even more doubt. People need to look to themselves before blaming others/ other things.

I'll gladly test this out for ya guys when I get my starter kit and see if anything happens!

I'm interested in buying Dan's BP because you get more quantity per ounce for the cost compared to other brands of BP in the store (like the generic CVS that i am using). I am having good results with the AHA+ so I trust that I will similarly be satisfied with the BP.

I haven't been reading this board for awhile - but I still use Dan's BP - it's great - but I stopped using his wash - after it took months to heal some cystic acne scabs/scars that I got after I switched to the new wash (2 new ordered bottles).

I'd also like to add that I was using the full Daniel Kern acne regimen for a year - up to this switch - and was completely clear. It worked. Until something with the new wash didn't settle well with my skin. I know the regimen works - I used it for a year without a problem. Even after I moved across the country - I was fine! It was working GREAT.

I ended up trying Cetaphil - another gentle cleanser - I did NOT get the cystic acne like I got on the 2 days of the DK wash - but I did still break out. I have ended up switching to OXY 10% BP wash - with the Daniel Kern BP lotion - and as of right now - I am finally clear since the last week of March 2009 when I was still on the regimen with everything working fine - except I had ordered 2 new bottles of wash that caused havoc on my face. Since I was using the regimen for a year and had been routinely clear - I did the process of elimination for myself - I realized that the only thing that had altered in my DK regimen was the new bottle of wash I had opened. Other than that - trust me - I took 3 months to analyze what the heck I could have done wrong.

The wash works great for other people - and I think that is awesome - i just wish it worked for me. After the reaction I got from the new wash - which took a month to heal to get to a scarring point - and being shocked since I had always USED the Daniel Kern wash - I won't until what I found that works for me right now stops working - because I am finally clear.

The wash I am using now has the "urea" in it as well - and that antimicrobial agent I swear - at the amount a person uses twice a day - even if it was small in the OLD Daniel Kern wash - if you use that 2 times a day, every single day, for a year - I can't help but think that the "urea" would have an effect on your skin. I wash actually more than 2 times a day (and did with the old wash too and was fine) so I think my skin got used to having the small amount (however small) of antimicrobial agent in it. I think no matter how small of amount it is - all the chemicals/ingredients in the bottle have an affect on one another - and when you use something like that - religiously because it did work for me, even with washing more (because I exercise at odd times) - even if you DO wash it off - I think your skin still adapts.

At least, I think my skin did. I'm clear now - but I wish others luck if the new wash works for them. I wish it would for me. I actually wish they never would have changed the ingredients - then I'd never have the problem! I'm not judging the wash - I know it does work for some people - and it did work for me for a year - but something changed - and I did analyze my situation and my routine - 3 months worth - but I did not get any cystic acne from any other wash I tried while trying to heal from the cystic cysts I got from the new DK wash. You'd think that if my routine was so completely off - that I would have still been getting the cystic acne.

But I have not.

I hope everyone else has a great experience! I still love the DK BP lotion - it's great.