Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traveler28

Face Completely Clear When Traveling

Hello All

I have been trying to figure out my acne for years. I had clear skin (was always complimented on it) all of my life until I was 25. Then I developed horrible cystic acne. It is along my jar and chin. I thought it must be hormonal. I have been on birth control pills since I was a teenager. I have tried numerous different pills without success.

One thing that has been happening for 3 years now, is whenever I travel on vacation my skin clears up completely. It's like a miracle. I can't figure out what it is. I have tried to figure out if it was something I was not eating. Last year after a vacation I realized I had not eaten much diary on the trip. So I tried quitting dairy. It did not work. I have tried eliminating other things. Nothing makes sense! The places I travel are all different (Florida, North Carolina, France, California, Costa Rica...)

Without fail my skin clears on vacation, but here at home it is horrible. I am so depressed about it. I continue to try all sorts of things, and I really appreciate everyone on this board. Finally I realized I should just ask, maybe someone has a suggestion or idea what could be causing it. Am I allergic to my home?? What could it be?

Thanks so much!

Are you stressed at home? Do you sleep better on vacation? Do you savor your food more which might lead to better digestion? Are you more active? What about your water? Do you filter it?

My jaw, chin, neck cysts were an allergic reaction, so you might want to keep trying to avoid things.

I remember when I went to China I suddenly became flawless. I thought it was interesting because it's so humid there. I guess it's what alter says. Maybe you're stressed at home. Usually when you're vacationing, you're less stressed. Also I heard that people usually tend to drink more water and walk around when on vacation. That might also help with acne.

When I went to Arizona for 2 days I didnt have a single pimple even though I partied and drank pretty much all day. I only slept about 2-4 hours each night also. Strange, considering lack of sleep triggers my acne. I thought it was the dry weather that prevented me from breaking out.

has anyone considered it might be that it may be mental? i dont know but i guess i have a theory that when we forget about our acne and enjoy life more that our body also forgets about our acne. I don't know maybe its bs and maybe its just a fluke that going on vacation helps skin, i dont know , just a thought.

How often do you wash your pillow cases? Have you tried switching laundry detergents and fabric softeners?

If I keep my pillow cases clean then I do okay. And certain detergents/soaps really mess with me.

i think it is something mental.

Being at home may mean working, right? Maybe your work gives you stress or some condition at home.

Do you feel really happy and enjoy while travelling? I suggest you find out what actually bothers you when youre at your home(town), work, home, someones presence...

I agree that your laundry detergents and pillowcases could be part of the problem.

But another thing to consider is the water coming into your home. Do you have a filtration system on the water you wash with? There could be contaminants in the water in your home that you're not getting elsewhere.

thats the same thing that happens with me when i travel to philippines im clear when i go bak home i break out

I just started a thread on this and I have yet to find the answer to why I breakout at home but not at school. The only things I can possibly attribute it to would be food and shower water, because I am not stressed at all.

I've had that happen to me a few times as well but on the flipside I have broken out majorly during other vacations and I have been clear at home a few times as well.

lol so it's pretty messed up.

Have you tried cleaning the scum off of your bathroom sink and shower faucets? Im serious.

Hi. I never had any acne till I was about 22. At first it was fairly minor but disappeared completely when I went travelling for a few months in Asia. It came back when I returned and got progressively worse. It was cystic and it would appear mainly on my chin and jawline. I went travelling again, this time to South America and again it disappeared. I had the same thoughts as you did. For years I tried excluding different things to determine if it was related to my food, diet, stress, washing etc.

A few months ago I finally visited my GP and he prescribed me antibiotics (doxycycline) and a gel isotetronin (or something). My acne has almost completely disappeared. At its worse I used to get a spot a day with a real nasty one always somewhere on my face. I once counted about 16 of all sizes. Horrible. Now I get maybe one spot and not cystic, once a week or so.

Of course, everyone has their own opinions on what causes it - but all I know is that I can eat anything I want, nothing to do with smoking (cigs or weed), exercise (in fact my skin tends to dry out after sweating), or anything else. Drinking water and being well rested is important but I wouldn't say it stops me getting spots but they are less severe.

I'm 25 now, been clear for a couple of months so I'm hoping this is the end of that horrible blight. I wash my face in the morning and evening with the Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Srcub, after a 30 second gentle wash I'll either put on shaving gel (King of shaves - anti bacterial) and shave or some tea tree mint shower gel as I shower. After this wash i'll let my skin dry a little before applying E45 cream. After which I put on the isotetronin gel. This whole process probably takes about 5 minutes and I repeat it before I go to bed.

Having been in some pretty dark places, I empathise entirely with all sufferers. This board helped me out by just reading what other people have said and the support they provide. Truly a good thing. So, I hope this helps you and gives you a little hope that it will end.

Did you got swimming in an ocean? When I went to the Caribbean the salt water cleared me up, my friends said it did the same for him.