Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justabeginner

How to go against doctor's orders?

I have my first dermatologist appointment in a week! :dance:

While I'm not nervous (my skin's been looking a lot better) I'm afraid he/she's going to prescribe me a topical.

Basically, I get about 10-20 small pimples that never really seem to get to the surface. Lately I've just been cleansing, moisturizing, and using a Fade Cream for my red marks, and my skin hasn't looked better!

What can I say if he/she tries to get me on a topical that I'm afraid will just aggravate everything? Basically - I'm going in for a treatment, not a prescription.

While I'm not nervous (my skin's been looking a lot better) I'm afraid he/she's going to prescribe me a topical.

Basically, I get about 10-20 small pimples that never really seem to get to the surface. Lately I've just been cleansing, moisturizing, and using a Fade Cream for my red marks, and my skin hasn't looked better!

What can I say if he/she tries to get me on a topical that I'm afraid will just aggravate everything? Basically - I'm going in for a treatment, not a prescription.

Dont be nervous, sounds like you have closed comedonal acne. You more likely than not will be prescribed a topical. Sometimes it does get worse before it gets better but you have to decide whether you want to keep things the way they are or try to improve. Its a struggle that every one here on this board goes through. I was just given Differin and I held off for a week until I decided I couldnt live with the white heads. So I'm sucking it up and just dealing. I also have the red spots and I hate them. Take a wait and see attitude.

Just talk to them about what you feel. They are generally very friendly people (in my experience). If you tell them that you refuse to take topicals, they will give you alternatives. They are not going to force you to use a topical. And ultimately, they only give a prescription. It's up to you go fill out that prescription at the pharmacy. So you decide if you want to buy it or not.

little confused here, i use Dupac Topical Gel and you say that your afraid the doctor will just prescribe you a topical? what are you concerned with about the topical? does it not work as well as other products you are looking for? if so what products are you hoping to use so i can take a little look into them as well

the topical gel does make my skin really dry

little confused here, i use Dupac Topical Gel and you say that your afraid the doctor will just prescribe you a topical? what are you concerned with about the topical? does it not work as well as other products you are looking for? if so what products are you hoping to use so i can take a little look into them as well

the topical gel does make my skin really dry

I have acne that gets worse as I put medicine on it. It gets aggravated and I'm afraid any topical they prescribe will make it worse. Like SA - breaks me out even after long use. GA 10% has me looking horrible right now. And BP is what started it all.

I'd rather he/she give me treatments for what I have and possibly put me on a BC or something, rather than a topical.

Dont be nervous, sounds like you have closed comedonal acne. You more likely than not will be prescribed a topical. Sometimes it does get worse before it gets better but you have to decide whether you want to keep things the way they are or try to improve. Its a struggle that every one here on this board goes through. I was just given Differin and I held off for a week until I decided I couldnt live with the white heads. So I'm sucking it up and just dealing. I also have the red spots and I hate them. Take a wait and see attitude.

x2, If you do decide to try a topical then i'de suggest start by using a little every other day and then work your self up. If you are 100% sure you don't want to use a topical then just tell them, they can't force you to do anything.