Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ugly_skye

PCOS women who have tried Accutane

Are there any women out there who have polycystic ovary syndrome and have tried Accutane with success?

I have tried everything short of Accutane. I was told it probably just come back because of the hormonal issues. I don't want to tortue my body for something that will only work whilst I'm on the drug.

Please let me know if Accutane has cured you, despite your pcos.

Many Thanks

I'm outta my league on this one because I'm a guy, but I am here to tell you that I had an old gfriend who had PCOS. So my suggestion to you is to Google as much as you can about it (I remember finding out a bunch of stuff and sites on it!) and look through the Nutrition and Holistic Forum for info. There's a lot of info out there.

As far as Tane, I did 3 max courses and while I would say it did help, I personally believe the drug is largely just shit as my acne came back repeatedly just ususally in different ways or different areas. That's when I came to the org and found my answers in the Nutrition and Holistic Forum, my skin is usually about 95-98% clear, so I'll take it!

Thanks for your reply.

I have known about the pcos for 7 years so I know a lot about it. Usually they perscribe Spironolactone, Metformin, the contraceptive pill, diet and exercise but none of those have worked so it really only leaves Accutane.

I have a derm appointment tomorrow so I guess I will give it a try.

Thanks for your reply.

I have known about the pcos for 7 years so I know a lot about it. Usually they perscribe Spironolactone, Metformin, the contraceptive pill, diet and exercise but none of those have worked so it really only leaves Accutane.

I have a derm appointment tomorrow so I guess I will give it a try.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I was wondering if you went on accutane. I was on it last year and completely cleared up..then was diagnosed with PCOS. Now my face is horrible! worse than it ever was. I went back to my derm to go back on Accutane but she says it won't take because of the hormones.

It'll work. I *supposedly* have the new trendy disease of PCOS, and it worked for me.

I am sure some people DO have PCOS, but I think it's over-dx-ed, and incorrectly just like lyme disease was years ago, and Epstein Barr prior to that. I had normal labs for hormones and my dr still insisted i had it...:rolleyes: I also have periods that are like clockwork. I DO have endo.

I am sure some people DO have PCOS, but I think it's over-dx-ed

That's funny. It took me a long time to be diagnosed with PCOS. I had all the symptoms(weight gain, acne, etc..) and a sonogram that revealed a huge cyst on my ovary. I mean it was patently obvious to me that I had it, and my ob-gyn still wanted to run another set of tests before giving me the diagnosis. Of course, more lab tests means more dr. visits and more money in their pockets.

Hello,

I have PCOS and I had mod to severe localized Acne from it. I was put of Accutane and told that my acne would " likely never return". I was on it for 5 months total and by the 3rd month my skin was crystal clear. I looked amazing. Then after 5 months, my derm said it was okay and I could go off, so about 2 months after going off it, my acne all came back.

So I thought maybe if I took it for longer the 2nd time, maybe it wouldn't come back..( so dumb)

So i went on it, same thing.. my acne went away after a few months so after like 7 months, i went off and two months later the ACNE RETURNED.

SO TWO TRIALS OF ACCUTANE, TONS OF MONEY AND PROB LOTS OF DAMAGE TO MY LIVER.. the acne is back.

Our acne is hormonal and with PCOS, we produce too much testosterone/androgens and that is too strong. My acne returned.

I am not trying Yazmin to help with the body hair/acne and hoping for the best. Ive heard mixed reviews, but its worth a shot.

Hello,

I have PCOS and I had mod to severe localized Acne from it. I was put of Accutane and told that my acne would " likely never return". I was on it for 5 months total and by the 3rd month my skin was crystal clear. I looked amazing. Then after 5 months, my derm said it was okay and I could go off, so about 2 months after going off it, my acne all came back.

So I thought maybe if I took it for longer the 2nd time, maybe it wouldn't come back..( so dumb)

So i went on it, same thing.. my acne went away after a few months so after like 7 months, i went off and two months later the ACNE RETURNED.

SO TWO TRIALS OF ACCUTANE, TONS OF MONEY AND PROB LOTS OF DAMAGE TO MY LIVER.. the acne is back.

Our acne is hormonal and with PCOS, we produce too much testosterone/androgens and that is too strong. My acne returned.

I am not trying Yazmin to help with the body hair/acne and hoping for the best. Ive heard mixed reviews, but its worth a shot.

I know how you feel. I resorted to Accutane after suffering with acne for 11 years. I was on Accutane for 9 months, ended up with tonnes of ongoing side effects and my acne returned two months after I finished the course. I learnt the answer to my question the hard way.

Hi Skye

I'm in the same boat. Pretty sure acne is not going to be permanently cured by Accutane when PCOS is the underlying issue. See my log if you like?

Kate :)