Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
itsabeautifulday

My Accutane Log- 22/female

Week 1

I started my treatment on January 30 so I'm actually a little bit over a week already.

A little background information:

I'm taking 60 mg of Claravis (30 mg twice a day). I've had persistent moderate acne for more than six years and nothing has worked for me.

So to get to the cumulative dosage of 120 mg, I'm going to be taking 60 mg a day for 5 and a half months (or 165 days).

The side effects haven't been anything too bad yet. My face is really dry, which can be uncomfortable at times. Its also flaking which is gross. My lips are chapped and there's a little bit of blood every time I blow my nose. I also have a small dry patch on my inner arm that's really itchy.

Here's what products I'm using:

Cetaphil Face Wash- twice a day

Oil of Olay moisturizer- twice a day

Vaseline Intensive Rescue body lotion- after showering

Aquaphor- for chapped lips

Week 1

I started my treatment on January 31 so I'm actually a little bit over a week already.

A little background information:

I'm taking 60 mg of Claravis (30 mg twice a day). I've had persistent moderate acne for more than six years and nothing has worked for me.

So to get to the cumulative dosage of 120 mg, I'm going to be taking 60 mg a day for 5 and a half months (or 165 days).

The side effects haven't been anything too bad yet. My face is really dry, which can be uncomfortable at times. Its also flaking which is gross. My lips are chapped and there's a little bit of blood every time I blow my nose. I also have a small dry patch on my inner arm that's really itchy.

Here's what products I'm using:

Cetaphil Face Wash- twice a day

Oil of Olay moisturizer- twice a day

Vaseline Intensive Rescue body lotion- after showering

Aquaphor- for chapped lips

Would you advise the products you've been using? Im going to go to the pharmacy/tesco/asda before my app to stock up on creams etc?

Any chance you could help me form my shopping list? :)

Thankyou.

I'm using Cetaphil face wash which is gentle for your skin. After washing my face twice a day, I put on Oil of Olay complete all day moisture lotion with SPF 15 for sensitive skin. I also use Vaseline Intensive Rescue body lotion which I put on after showering. Aquaphor is a miracle and I use that on my lips which are always chapped if I don't put it on.

Week 2

The side effects have definitely increased, but nothing that's impacting my life greatly. My face is a lot drier and my lips are always chapped unless I put on lip balm or Aquaphor.

I've noticed that its taking longer for cuts to heal. I got two paper cuts at work this week and usually, they would have healed and disappeared by now but this time they're still there! I got my first anal fissure ever (google it) and oh my god it will not heal. It is seriously the most painful thing ever. I'm wondering if the accutane is causing it to take so long to heal. AHHH!

My body feels like its incredibly sore in the morning when I wake up and at night as well for some reason. Its mainly in my legs and chest.

I don't know if I had an initial breakout, but I do have some cysts on my cheek, along the jawline, and temples. But it just looks like any other bad breakout I've had in the past.

Despite the side effects, I'm STILL really happy to be on this. I know it'll all be worth it at the end...yes!

Hi - thanks for answering my question! I was wondering if you have heard of, or are currently using, jojoba oil? I started using jojoba oil with my sunscreen several weeks ago (pre-accutane), and I loved how it made my face feel. It seems like it should work well with accutane, but I'd love to know about other peoples experiences with it

Week 2

The side effects have definitely increased, but nothing that's impacting my life greatly. My face is a lot drier and my lips are always chapped unless I put on lip balm or Aquaphor.

I've noticed that its taking longer for cuts to heal. I got two paper cuts at work this week and usually, they would have healed and disappeared by now but this time they're still there! I got my first anal fissure ever (google it) and oh my god it will not heal. It is seriously the most painful thing ever. I'm wondering if the accutane is causing it to take so long to heal. AHHH!

My body feels like its incredibly sore in the morning when I wake up and at night as well for some reason. Its mainly in my legs and chest.

I don't know if I had an initial breakout, but I do have some cysts on my cheek, along the jawline, and temples. But it just looks like any other bad breakout I've had in the past.

Despite the side effects, I'm STILL really happy to be on this. I know it'll all be worth it at the end...yes!

Hi - thanks for answering my question! I was wondering if you have heard of, or are currently using, jojoba oil? I started using jojoba oil with my sunscreen several weeks ago (pre-accutane), and I loved how it made my face feel. It seems like it should work well with accutane, but I'd love to know about other peoples experiences with it

I haven't heard of it. What are you using it for...as a moisturizer?

So I think there is something important I should mention. I had blood tests done during my first month on Accutane. However, since I turned 22 in January, my insurance through my dad was cut off. I was unable to apply for my own health insurance because they denied me due to acne treatment. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT?? UGH! So now I have insurance with BlueCross BlueShield but I chose not to disclose that I had acne when I applied for it. Thus, I can't get Accutane through insurance and I decided I'm going to order it from abroad (its a legit pharmacy that my family personally knows of...not online). I'm just worried about not being able to get blood tests now every month to make sure I'm fine. Why do insurance companies suck so much???

That's awful - I'm sorry to hear about the insurance stuff. Is there any way you can call BlueCross and appeal their decision not to give you tests? You might also decide to make an appt with your doctor and casually ask him/her to screen you for cholesterol and trig levels, which would basically give you the same information you'd be getting from your derm otherwise. The other option would be to call your derm and see if either: a) the derm can make an appeal to the insurance company; or b) the derm can refer you to a low-cost clinic for doing bloodwork.

In any case, stay strong!

So I think there is something important I should mention. I had blood tests done during my first month on Accutane. However, since I turned 22 in January, my insurance through my dad was cut off. I was unable to apply for my own health insurance because they denied me due to acne treatment. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT?? UGH! So now I have insurance with BlueCross BlueShield but I chose not to disclose that I had acne when I applied for it. Thus, I can't get Accutane through insurance and I decided I'm going to order it from abroad (its a legit pharmacy that my family personally knows of...not online). I'm just worried about not being able to get blood tests now every month to make sure I'm fine. Why do insurance companies suck so much???

Week 3

I made an appointment with my dermatologist for March 5. I'm just going to hope that she'll understand my situation and will allow me to continue under her care even though I'll be getting my prescription from abroad. I really just want her to tell me how much to be using and to monitor my blood stuff. Let's keep our fingers crossed! I don't know what I'll do otherwise.

I'm pretty broken out with about five cysts on my chin and jaw and three on my cheeks. I'm trying hard not to pick at them because I definitely don't want to scar.

As for side effects this week, the skin on my face is flaking off everywhere...I notice it on my shirt all the time...haha so gross. I have dandruff as well so I bought some Head & Shoulders today. I'm hoping it'll make it go away, but if not its not too terrible. My lips are drier but I've been trying to use aquaphor all the time to make it not as bad. My joints have been feeling sore and it wasn't too bad until today. I could barely sit or stand because the pain in my lower back was so bad but I came home and took some Tylenol and feel fine now.

As for the anal fissure, its still there and it still hurts. I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know if its just serious or if its just taking extra long to heal because of the Accutane, but let me tell you this is by far the least enjoyable thing ever.

I decided I'm going to stop taking Accutane for a week or two until my anal fissure heals. Its been really painful and I'm pretty sure the accutane caused it in the first place because it happened right when I started this stuff. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Day 2

Alright so I decided to take a break from the Accutane and let everything heal up and then wait some more and now I'm good to go!

I restarted April 1 so today was my second day. Everything seems normal for now and I've been making sure to drink a lot of water. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can finally start and finish this course!

Day 2

Alright so I decided to take a break from the Accutane and let everything heal up and then wait some more and now I'm good to go!

I restarted April 1 so today was my second day. Everything seems normal for now and I've been making sure to drink a lot of water. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can finally start and finish this course!

hey i have had the EXACT same things happen, unfortunately for me ive had anal fissureS for about 4 months.

i had no idea what it was in the beginning but like u i googled it.

they have gotten worse and worse and then clear up but lately not so nice... ive been so scared to stop taking roaccutane tho because i dont want to stop and my acne comes back. i started last year in november and i have 15 days to go till i finish all together.

im assuming that if you got a fissure sooooo quickly you'll be experiencing another one regardless of what you do. (hope not tho!!)

i drink alot of water, i put lanolin or bepanthen (im from australia) on the fissure when i can remember too. and i try and eat well but sometimes i dont so i take coloxyl + senna every now and again (its a stool softener)

i have to agree with you how painful it is. i admit i have cried

someone once likened it to childbirth so im certainly NOT looking forward to that!!!!

GOODLUCK!!!! it is worth it in the end for one years worth of dry skin lips nose and bottom i have the most beautiful skin and get compliments most days at work (i am a nurse) i dont even wear a drop of makeup anymore.