Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How bad is the joint pain while on accutane? Does everyone experience it? Also does everyone get red in the face with accutane? What is the severity of that side effect?

My joint pain was terrible. My knees, back and joints ached through my whole course. It was hard to get up from laying down on the couch for short times or when waking up in the morning. In the morning I was stiff for about 10 minutes and just had to get in a warm shower to loosen up.

My face was red above my eyebrows and a tad on my cheeks.

I've been off of the medicine for almost a month now and all my side effects are gone. My lips are only a tad bit dry at times but lip balm helps it.

As for all side effects -- it just depends.

I've been off of the medicine for almost a month now and all my side effects are gone. My lips are only a tad bit dry at times but lip balm helps it.

As for all side effects -- it just depends.

Thanks for the info aggiechick .... it seems a lot of people that finish accutane don't visit acne.org much, so it's hard to find a lot of info about joint pain "after" accutane.

I have been on accutane for about 4 and a half months, during the end of the 3rd month my feet became really stiff at times, like first thing in the morning. I remember briefly have stiff knees in the 2nd month, but it only lasted a few weeks and wasn't nearly as bad as my feet issues.

It a relief to hear your joint issues weren't permanent and went away after you stopped accutane.

I am on my third month of accutane and while I have had joint pain, it has definitely not been unbearable. I have the standard knee aches, usually when I stand still too long and my knees are always making that really gross cracking sound when I move. I think the worst pain that I have had though has been in my jaw. My doctor said something like the medicine could be causing me to have tmj? I'm not quite sure, but it can be quite painful some days and this morning while I was chewing my cereal, my jaw would pop everytime i would open and close my mouth (wasn't painful, just very uncomfortable).

my face is starting to get a little red, but only after I wash it... which is pretty normal anyway. It is still breaking out, but the IB is definitely gone, thank God :)

ive had mild joint pain.... just a litt stiff after sitting for a long time.. nothing serious. it kinda seems to come and go. totally worth clear skin to me

I bet the above people knew I would post here.

18 months post tane and in severe joint pain everyday. No swelling or redness, but every joint hurts and no meds are working at the moment. Extremely stiff back too. I haven't a clue what to do. It's there morning and night and seems to be getting worse. I had hardly any joint pain whilst on the drug itself.

It was the worst decision of my life. Look at Dan who set up the forum too and read his story. He has suffered as a result and still has persistent joint pain to. I have no doubt that accutane continues to work on your whole system and those who do experience joint pain now will most certainly esxperience post-tane adverse effects in a few years to come. This is something that rings true time and time again in all the survivor and action forums. But of course, as it has 'cleared' their skin like it did mine, people won't care or hesistate to take it again.......

ive had mild joint pain.... just a litt stiff after sitting for a long time.. nothing serious. it kinda seems to come and go. totally worth clear skin to me

Are you sure the joint pain is not caused by something else, not just accutane? I hear these extremely rare side effects and can't help but to think that people are blaming them on accutane. I have not heard of one common side effect that didn't go away after the medication, and nothing serious during the medication.

I had a three-day streak where my lower back was in constant pain. Other than that I haven't experienced any joint pains at all. As far as the redness goes, I haven't had that problem at all...yet :)

Are you sure the joint pain is not caused by something else, not just accutane? I hear these extremely rare side effects and can't help but to think that people are blaming them on accutane. I have not heard of one common side effect that didn't go away after the medication, and nothing serious during the medication.

You clearly haven't read around enough. There is no doubt that accutane caused my problems, I've finally got my Rheumotologist to agree and a brilliant Derm I'm about to see also has experience in treating post-accutane side effects.

Don't be niave ffs.

Disregard my previous post.

My back now hurts like a mother when i bend over slowly and pick things up. (NO HOMO)

Those twinges sneak up on ya don't they?!

Dude, you need to educate yourself....

sheefa- were you on a high dosage? I am on 40mg and I am wondering if joint pain begins at higher dosages.

Nope. 40mg a day for what you could say was about 8 months.

Was extremely fit before accutane and used to run triathlons and passed Officer selection into the RAF for Regiment. No chance of me ever doing that now mate.

I just finished my 2nd month of Accutane and am STRONGLY considering stopping the medication due to the bone/muscle pain.

My first month was at 40mg, and normal dry skin and chapped lips were the only real side effects.

The Dr. kicked me up to 80mg for the next month, and I started having muscle and joint pain. I didn't really attribute it to the medication, but after 3 weeks into the 2nd month, I made the connection and it REALLY started to hurt. I'm a very active person - work out everday and play sports all the time, and now I'm really hurting!

I've read that some of these side effects are just temporary, while some people have them forever. Well...that just sucks. My skin is clear and I'm loving that, but my whole lifestyle is close to going in the crapper. I have to wait a day to recover from sports now, and I can only imagine if I had this pain forever - no way is this worth it!!

So...basically I have to decide if Accutane is worth it. I'm seeing my Dr. about the dosage. He changed it to 60mg a day, and I already know that will be too much as I'm down to 40mg a day and still in pain.

Hopefully it's not too late for me to go off this medication and recover...and maybe go on it again with a low dose?

I asked my Dr. about this side effect last week, and he said that people who have these pains forever, are extreme cases, or those who didn't come off the medication when they felt the pains...or even upped their dosage. So I'm hoping I'm still good to recover.

Ugh...totally feel sorry for people who have to deal with this their entire lives. Especially active people! I'll bet if I was lazy and didn't work out I wouldn't be having these pains as bad.

I just finished my 2nd month of Accutane and am STRONGLY considering stopping the medication due to the bone/muscle pain.

My first month was at 40mg, and normal dry skin and chapped lips were the only real side effects.

The Dr. kicked me up to 80mg for the next month, and I started having muscle and joint pain. I didn't really attribute it to the medication, but after 3 weeks into the 2nd month, I made the connection and it REALLY started to hurt. I'm a very active person - work out everday and play sports all the time, and now I'm really hurting!

I've read that some of these side effects are just temporary, while some people have them forever. Well...that just sucks. My skin is clear and I'm loving that, but my whole lifestyle is close to going in the crapper. I have to wait a day to recover from sports now, and I can only imagine if I had this pain forever - no way is this worth it!!

So...basically I have to decide if Accutane is worth it. I'm seeing my Dr. about the dosage. He changed it to 60mg a day, and I already know that will be too much as I'm down to 40mg a day and still in pain.

Hopefully it's not too late for me to go off this medication and recover...and maybe go on it again with a low dose?

I asked my Dr. about this side effect last week, and he said that people who have these pains forever, are extreme cases, or those who didn't come off the medication when they felt the pains...or even upped their dosage. So I'm hoping I'm still good to recover.

Ugh...totally feel sorry for people who have to deal with this their entire lives. Especially active people! I'll bet if I was lazy and didn't work out I wouldn't be having these pains as bad.

Please stop it mate straight away if this concerns you.

I used to be so active, I was about to joint the RAF, had passed all the tests and was fit as a fiddle. Since accutane, my last course was only 3months at 20mg a day mate, things have gone downhill at a rate I can't fathom. I really have to stress that it's not worth chronic pain and joint problems for clear skin bud. Forget dropping your dose, if you experience joint pain take it as a sure sign things could get worse.

I had very little joint pain whilst on the drug, and I was on a relatively normal dose all in all. It just came out of the blue. I never had my dosage upped either. I am suicidal most days mate and I was loving life before. I just pray you make a full recovery bud. The docs do not understand the full effect it can have, and whilst the majority are fine, it's so unfair that a few are left in a near crippled state when we had our lives ahead of us. Listen to your body mate.

Acne is not forever, some of the accutane induced side effects are.

Any questions please do email me. I would HATE to see anyone else find themselves in my position.

Best of luck.

A very ill Greg

im third month with 80 mg a day. joint pain isnt bad and I cant even notice it once I get moving. i ride bmx everyday ive noticed that my muscles get pretty sore after i rest for a couple hours but while riding i feel 100%.

I'm 4 1/2 months into my accutane treatment. Two weeks to go!! I've had all the more common side effects.i.e dry skin, dry,irritated eyes,chapped lips but was prepared for those. I started to have stiffness in my hands and feet a couple of months into teatment. Occurred after resting for a period. I told my doctor and was concerned re possible long term effects. She said she didn't believe that would happen so I continued on. This morning my fingers were very stiff and difficult to move initially. I still feel some tenderness. My feet are tender and a bit stiff too.

I'm concerned now that I've read Greg's story. I hope my symptoms will resolve. I really want to finish the course of accutane since I've come this far.

I haven't had joint pain, but I've had neck pain. The same kind of pain as if you slept wrong and your neck was sore and stiff when you woke up. I'd rather have joint pain honestly. Thankfully it's only here and there and not constant...

I had joint pain well into my first course (11 months, when at higher doses - 80 - 100mg) it wasn't unbearable, but bothersome when I exercised - especially in the knees with squats and lunges. I was worried, but less than a month after stopping, everything went away. I've been off tane for about 7 months and am just starting a second course. I expect that I will experience some joint pain if I go on the higher dose and for that length of time. I also expect that it will go away after I stop.

I have many friends, including my husband, who are young (late 20s, early 30s) who have never taken accutane and are healthy and active that also experience joint pain. It is a natural part of the aging process. I believe that side effects affect everyone differently, and you must make the best decision for yourself.

Accutane is/was a bit of a hassle, especially with ipledge, but it has made a tremendous difference in my day to day life. Even though I experienced bothersome side effects, the temporary perfect skin and then later milder version of acne return has been worth me going on a second and hopefully last course. I certainly wouldn't do it again if I didn't feel the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I will let you know if I change my mind about this on my second course.