Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoMiRRoRs

Is My Hair Breaking Me Out???

Someone - preferably someone who uses or is familiar with hair products used on women with skin of color - please help me find hair products that will allow me to maintain my hair style will not aggravating my acne. Seeing as I tend to break out on my forehead, sometimes in between my eyebrows, and on the sides of my face, I'm inclined to believe that what I put in my hair is aggravating my skin problems. I have oily skin; and yes, my hair frames the sides of my face on forehead. I don't put much on my hair. Although I now that it's stupid, I'm afraid to pull my hair away from my face (I use to love it!!!!) because of the bumps. Please suggest hair products that are good for the skin and the hair. I'm sick of this!

Should I just shave my head bald and pray that my skin clears? I don't feel like I should be foreced to look like G.I. Jane to regain the once "normal" skin that I had almost 8 years ago. I'm 25. I'm in what is supposed to be the prime of my life, yet my skin keeps me isolated, even from my husband, who is probably starting to believe that I am weird as hell. I don't personally use any hair products on my hair while at home. However, when I go to the salon I'm not sure what's being used on my hair. What I do know is that earlier this week when I went to the hair shop my face immediately began to itch when my hair framed the sides of my face. Now it's Saturday and the sides of my face are IRRITATED, HOT, and BUMPY. Does anyone (please suggest something) know of any hair products that are both good for the skin and for the hair? What ingredients should be avoided? This may make a difference, so I'll throw this out as well: I am a black woman. Suggestions please!!!!

yea, i've considered wearing it off of my face. i actually use to wear it that way, but with all of the hyperpigmentation and bumps i just don't feel very comfortable wearing it that way.

i had the same problem. i liked to cover my face, it broke me out, i wanted to cover it even more. it's a vicious cycle. whenever i'd go to a salon i'd break out soooo much worse. now when i go i request no products at all. as for moisturizing, i use a dab of extra virgin olive oil which doesnt clog pores. try not to let your hair sit on your face regardless. my skin has gotten so acne prone due to years of wearing hair on my face that even letting my hair out from behind my ears barely on my face i break out when there r no products in it!

If you are looking for a moisturizer/setting lotion shea butter seems to work fairly well. I can use it on my face as well. Alaffia brand is available for about $12 at Whole Foods. Just make sure you get a pure 100% shea butter.

I'm mostly caucasian, fine/wispy hair, on me this seems to work like a pomade or styling wax. On my friend Nia's hair (she's black w/dry hair) it works like a leave on conditioner with some setting properties.

HTH!

(moved this to cosmetics)