Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello. My name is Monica, I'm turning 24 next month, I'm 110lbs and have had acne since high school. I decided it's about time I get rid of my acne, I started accutane yesterday. I am currently taking 30mg twice a day. The acne on my face isn't too bad, it's manageable and make up helps a lot. My skin texture sucks though. I'm hoping the accutane will help with that. And I tend to be a bit red. The main reason I am on accutane is for my back. At first my doctor thought it was a staph infection, and I took antibiotics (and i've taken tetracyclin, minocyclin, doxycyclin, and although they helped a little, it would always come back. And it hurts, it hurts to wear shirts with tags, and to sit against something. It's so frustrating. But coming here and seeing everyones logs and results definitely helps a lot. I read posts about the bad horrible side effects, and it makes me nervous, but I feel like most people have had good experiences with it and in the end look amazing. So I'm hoping for the same. Also hoping for dry skin, lips, and joint pain to be the worst of my side effects. Anyway, here's a few pictures, this is me on day 2 of accutane.

So here is me on a pretty normal day with make up on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/you...wn/Photo289.jpg

and this is me today with no make up on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/you...wn/Photo643.jpg

and here is a picture of my stupid back which I hope gets better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/you...wn/Photo642.jpg

gross.

Anyway, wish me luck I am going to need all the support I can get. I'll probably only update weekly, or if something big changes. But I do come here everyday and read peoples blogs and whatnot. Talk to you all soon!

-Monica Jewel.

Hi Monica. I don't know if you loaded your pics correctly. I was unable to click on it. I am 31 and have been on 40mg for almost three weeks now. Just wanted to stop by and wish you well on your course.

Hi Monica. I don't know if you loaded your pics correctly. I was unable to click on it. I am 31 and have been on 40mg for almost three weeks now. Just wanted to stop by and wish you well on your course.

Why thank you! are you taking 40mg once a day? How is your progress coming?

Day 3

So today I have noticed that my eyes are a bit dry. Actually i've noticed that since day 1, but I'm not completely sure if they are or not. Like sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but usually at night when I'm trying to sleep I can feel it. My boyfriend left for the week... I hope if I get an IB it starts and finishes before he gets back! I'm lucky he is so supportive. I'm thinking of going to the store and buying eyedrops. I read that if your eyes are dry it causes headaches. I have lower back pain today, but I am not sure if it is because of the accutane, or because I'm about to get a visit from mother nature. I usually have back pain when she comes to town. Anyway, my boyfriend has this huge bottle of fish oil pills. lucky me, I am going to be all over that. I love costco. I can't wait for the next 5 months to go by. I think my ultimate goal is to look good naked. =) Hahaha.

Going snowboarding next weekend. I can't wait. I love big bear. (probably because I haven't been anywhere else.) I'm just hoping that the accutane doesn't kill my joints after a day on the slopes.

<3

Monica Jewel.

Day 3

So today I have noticed that my eyes are a bit dry. Actually i've noticed that since day 1, but I'm not completely sure if they are or not. Like sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but usually at night when I'm trying to sleep I can feel it. My boyfriend left for the week... I hope if I get an IB it starts and finishes before he gets back! I'm lucky he is so supportive. I'm thinking of going to the store and buying eyedrops. I read that if your eyes are dry it causes headaches. I have lower back pain today, but I am not sure if it is because of the accutane, or because I'm about to get a visit from mother nature. I usually have back pain when she comes to town. Anyway, my boyfriend has this huge bottle of fish oil pills. lucky me, I am going to be all over that. I love costco. I can't wait for the next 5 months to go by. I think my ultimate goal is to look good naked. =) Hahaha.

Going snowboarding next weekend. I can't wait. I love big bear. (probably because I haven't been anywhere else.) I'm just hoping that the accutane doesn't kill my joints after a day on the slopes.

<3

Monica Jewel.

haha so i went snowboarding in big bear last year for the first time (we don't get snow where i'm originally from) and i almost died!!! not to mention my entire body was so sore to the point that i could not stand on my own. lol i bet you're a lot better than me though! have fun next weekend while i am home alone (and single) looking like a chipmunk on valentines day. (i am getting my wisdom teeth out this thursday) =(

hey. well i just wanted to say that you're really pretty and you have a lot of courage for putting up those pics. that's awesome. i hope your course goes well. i just started today. 40 MG.

i heard fish oil supplements are good to take with accutane for the joint pain. i bought some today so we'll see.

Good luck with your course, Monica! You are a beautiful girl with or without acne but accutane will clear you right up. Don't be too worried about the side effects, it really is tolerable. The fish oil will help with joints, so it sounds like you are prepared. You should also buy some aquaphor for your lips and dry skin patches - I swear by it! Have fun snowboarding!

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the support!

Carin - I'm sorry this weekend is going to suck for you. I had my wisdom teeth out once, I didn't go to school for a week. I hope you have a good Valentines day anyway! (I just rented sisterhood of the traveling pants 2. Maybe you should watch it.) As for snowboarding, this will only be my 4th time going. I just figured out the hang of it last time, so I have a feeling it'll be good times this time. Worried about the windchill on my face though.

Meagain - Thanksss!! I haven't had any joint pain yet so maybe I just won't get any period on my course!

Nichole xxx - Thanks for the compliment! Yeah it is hard to put up pictures that aren't great of yourself... but I just keep thinking about how much better it's going to be once I'm done with all of this, and how I won't have to care anymore if I'm wearing make up or not! I'm excited to see my progress. So you started on 40mg eh? Well, looks like you are my close in date accutane buddy so we will have to keep up on each others progress and see how it is going! are you going to keep a log?

Giselle23 - That's really sweet of you to say! I grew up with pretty much my whole family letting me know I wasn't pretty. Haha. Oh well... Now I will be the only one with clear skin! And they will all be jealous. Actually, my sister has pretty good skin... but maybe thats cause shes had kids? I have been using aquaphor on my lips, and once I do get dry skin patches I will make sure to remember to use it then as well! Thanks for the tip! (I think you're pretty too!)

Day 5

I woke up today with dry lips. Not extremely dry or anything, they just felt like they needed to be moisturized. Last night after I got out of the shower my face was really red, and felt as if I had a sunburn. I put cetaphil on (hey does anyone know where you can by cerave? I like that one better) and it made my skin sting. Today it feels fine though. I think I might be starting to get my IB. I have lots of little dots all around my mouth and nose (like where the doctor wears his face mask) but they have not yet turned into anything. I just hope they go away before saturday. It's my first Valentine's day with a boyfriend, so we are going to dinner and I want to look nice. I've been trying not to put any make up on since I started accutane. I don't want to irritate my skin anymore than I have to. The only problem is that I feel so gross when I look in the mirror. Oh well. I've been having lower back pain the last 2 days, but I feel it's just because of mother nature, because I have the other cramps too. I'm so glad I take a BC pill that makes my cycle only like 3-4 days. If I wasn't on it It'd be like 7-8. Probably TMI but I am like the most open person ever and don't really care if people know the personal details about me. If you don't want to know, don't read. Hahaha. Other than that, it's been cold. I don't like it. Makes me redder than I already am. I'm tired, and want to take a nap but I have laundry to doooo, and a million other things. gah.

5 days till big bear. (it's supposed to snow all weekend.)

Hey Monica!! Thanks for stopping by I am so glad we are going to be around the same day at the same time!!

I will be upping my dose to 50mg on Saturday so we will be closer then... So far I have no side effects really, but I am sure they will come with the higher dose!

Ps -- don't you feel so great though now that you've started accutane?

and also, what make up do you use?? Your skin looks great in that picture!!

Day 6

So today I woke up and my lips were dry and my face was dry, and yeah. I've been irritable all day! I'm not sure if it's due to the accutane or not, but I've noticed that little things are upsetting me, and I'm usually so carefree and like eh whatever. I'm a very chill kind of person. I'm going to turn into superbitch at work. Hahahaha. Oh well at least I have an excuse. My scalp has been itching today too. I feel all stupid in class scratching my head. It's like a little kid who has lice. My face has been itchy too. And i have to apply my cetaphil like 3 times or more a day. I put make up on today for the first time since I've started this stuff. It just accentuated my incredibly dry face. I hate that. I don't know what I'm going to do sat. My face is all red too. And it stings when I get out of the shower. Perhaps I'll have to put aloe vera on it? No joint pain yet so maybe sunday I'll be good to go snowboarding.

For biology we have to come up with a hypothesis and an experiment to demonstrate the scientific method... I think I'll use "does fish oil help with joint pain while on accutane." First I have to wait till I get joint pain, then I will start taking the supplements and see if it helps. My bio teacher will probably be like wtf?

Maybe I'm just sad and upset because my boyfriend left for the week so I'm bored and lonely. I hate sleeping alone. I rented Nights in Rodanthe to keep myself entertained tonight. I read the book like 5 years back... I love all of Nicholas Sparks' books. So hopefully the movie is good. I usually find the book better though.

Ugh I just want to get out of this mood. I don't want to talk to anyone, or see anyone or anything. It sucks. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to this play "Six Degrees if Separation" for my literature class, and I'm not sure I feel like going... but I already paid. Lame. Oh well. Guess I should shut up now. At least I get to skip math because of the play.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

<3

Monica Jewel

hey. i don't know if you use a medicated body wash but you should try neutrogena wash with s.a in it. it's orange and lasts for a long time because it lathers up nicely.

if i don't use it for a day i'll get a zit on my back. it keeps it at bay for sure.

oh and be sure to drink A LOT of water. it will suck up everything in your body.

Day 12

It's been a little while. I'm a pretty busy girl, with not too much new news to report.

Let's see. My face is super dry. Like I have to moisturize every couple of hours. And my ear started peeling too! Gross! So now I get to put lotion on my ears as well. I think I need a longer lasting moisturizer. I'm currently using cetaphil daily lotion or something, for sensitive dry skin.

I've decided to just go makeup-less for probably the rest of my treatment, with the exception of maybe a few special occasions. I feel like when I put make up on my face looks like I have some kind of weird disease because all you can see is just all of the peeling skin. It's quite disgusting if you ask me, so I'd rater be red and zitty, than look like I'm dying or whatever.

On a good note, 3 people today told me my face is looking better already! =) Which is a plus. Some days I feel like it looks better, and some days I feel like it looks worse. But for the most part I've noticed a nice change in the texture of my skin. It's definitely a lot smoother. That makes me happy. Not much of a change on my back however. =(

I went snowboarding and has an awesome time. New snow had fallen not too much earlier and it was great to get out there. I think it made my lips a bit more dry however. Oh well. I woke up yesterday sore, but not nearly as sore as the last time I went (I am getting much better.) So no joint pain.

I haven't had too many side effects of the accutane. Just the normal dryness of everything. I get headaches sometimes but I believe it's due to the fact that I don't drink enough water. So...

Anyway, I'm going to a bachelorette party on Thursday, it should be a good time.

Maybe I'll post pictures soonish.

Day 21

I don't have anything new to report. Not really anyway. My skin has been getting it's oil back so I haven't needed to moisturize every couple hours like I did at first. My skin just seems to be how it normally is, with just a few pimples here and there, one or 2 big ones that stick out like a sore thumb. I have had a couple nosebleeds, but I don't think it's due to accutane. My nose tends to bleed when I get too hot. My skin almost completely stopped peeling, maybe I can wear make up again. Haven't had any joint pain yet either. Hmm.

Well hopefully some good news soon. I have my next derm appointment in 2 weeks.

I'm so happy you're on Accutane! I really hope it works for you. My acne looks just like yours, especially my back.

I live in Coronado, where do you live? And who's your derm?

Thanks me too! tomorrow is my 1 month on it and I will post new pictures. Coronado... nice. Are you on accutane now too? (my skin has gotten so much better by the way!) I live by state, and my derm's name is helene jolly. I like her a lot, but unfortunately she just went on maternity leave! so I don't get to see her for the next 2 months. =(

Wow, one month on it, great! I'm not on Accutane but I'm being referred to a derm this week and hopefully they will put me on it. Maybe if things don't work it with this derm I should look into yours, although she just left. Boo! :)

Well it's so great that it's working for you, I'll check back in your log soon!

It look's like it's doing the business for yah Monica. I have exactly the same skin as you. I get the same scalp acne too!! I clear up quick on accutane but relapse quick, too. I have been on accutane a few times and it keeps comin back. One thing is that my back (was just like yours) cleared up for good. My face and scalp come back though. I'm trying the diet thing right now. I'll be watchin your log, and hoping you get full remission unlike me :(