Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaitlynanne

talc, causing my breakout all these years.

this might be a completely pointless thread but I feel like I need to talk about this.

I've read some very interesting reviews on make-up containing talc.

I decided to check my make-up that I use to make sure no talc is in it.

To my shock my covergirl blush and bronzer both contain talc. I've been using them for the past 2 years, which is right around when my acne started to flare up. I also went to wal-mart and read the ingerdents fo the foundation I used to use aswell and it contains Talc! As a matter of fact every single covegirl skin product they have out contains talc.

I came home yesterday and threw it all out.

I want to know what people think about this? Am I being silly and looking into this too much?

Or could this really be what has caused my breakouts and has continued them until now?

all comments and advice are greatly apprchiated.

Q. Why is talc harmful?

A. Talc is closely related to the potent carcinogen asbestos. Talc particles have been shown to cause tumors in the ovaries and lungs of cancer victims. For the last 30 years, scientists have closely scrutinized talc particles and found dangerous similarities to asbestos. Responding to this evidence in 1973, the FDA drafted a resolution that would limit the amount of asbestos-like fibers in cosmetic grade talc. However, no ruling has ever been made and today, cosmetic grade talc remains non-regulated by the federal government. This inaction ignores a 1993 National Toxicology Program report which found that cosmetic grade talc, without any asbestos-like fibers, caused tumors in animal subjects.1 Clearly with or without asbestos-like fibers, cosmetic grade talcum powder is a carcinogen.

things like talc and cornstarch have been known to irritate people's skin and cause breakouts. it might not affect everyone this way, but some people are sensitive to it. if you think it is causing your breakouts, try using something else for a while. i did this experiment over the summer to see if makeup was causing my acne and it wasnt so i continued using it. i absolutely LOVE bareminerals mineral veil (contains corn starch) and i dont think my skin is sensitive to it.

thanks for all the comments!

i think im going to try out not using those products for awhile and see if it was the problem!

I actually went and bought a physicians formula virtual face powder today to act as my bronzer i had read online about how wonderful physicians formula was so I wanted to try it out cause they said talc-free. well i got home and was looking at it more closely and it contains talc! lol grrr i have no luck i thought they were all talc free but i guess not :(

im returning it tomorrow!

I think Physician's Formula organic wear minerals don't contain talc. I know this because I was at Target reading all the ingredients labels for like an hour, sigh. Almay also has a naturals line that doesn't contain talc. They both sound pretty kosher, but I am kind of hesitant to use anything that lists mica as a first ingredient, just because of my negative experience with EDM.

im currently using some edm products.

do you mind explaining you experience with them?

i use EDM and i LOVE IT!! its the best minral makeup ive found. plus there are sooooo many shades to choose from! i havent had any problems with it.

im currently using some edm products.

do you mind explaining you experience with them?

I tried out EDM after reading the great reviews on the org, ordered myself a sample kit and went to town. I thought the coverage (intensive) was excellent and I really liked the natural finish, and was surprised at how well mineral makeup covered, especially the concealer. I did find that it got greasy and tended to rub off just like a liquid makeup once my skin get oily, though.

Biggest downside? Breakouts. I thought mineral makeup would be a great alternative to liquid, which everyone says is terrible for acne-prone skin. A couple days after trying EDM though, I got a lot of tiny clogged pores/whitehead-type things all over my face. At first I thought my skin was irritated by the cheap, crappy (but clearly clean) brush I used to apply it, so I ordered the EDM kabuki, which is a fab brush, very soft, but I broke out even when applying with this.

I've stopped experimenting with EDM after the breakouts, though I really would like to be able to use it. I'm just tired of breaking out each time I try something just to go back to the same products, so I'm steering clear. If you have no problems though, I would encourage you to keep using it. At that price, why not?

im very sorry to hear you had such a negative experience the EDM.

I also ordered the sample kit and loved it, i just recently ordered the full size ones.

I dont know if they are causing me to break out because my acne is pretty much the same amount all the time so im going to assume not. Im also on my 3rd week of the acne.org regimne so I think that might have broke me out a bit since It said to expect an breakout around the 3rd or 4th week. I dont know Im going to give it some more time and see what happens. But thank you for taking the time to post that, its helps alot. Thanks also to adrianne! You always have such great advice!

love love love!

bareminerals is talcfree.

This product broke me out. It contains bismuth Oxychoride that clogs pores, it has also some other ingredients that clog pores.

....ever since i had acne i stayed away from any kind of cosmetic products.... Thats what my derm told me, still do today, even simple powder?....no thank you...i go all natural..... i dont even conceal the dark marks and other stuff...no make up whatsoever...at all! And i think it has really helped... A lot!

So that's my advice.... Try not wear make up as much as possible....and see the difference! Hope it helps!

Talc is indeed nasty, nasty stuff. I am willing to use cheaper eye makeups and what not but I'm super careful about what I put on my skin and lips. I was experiencing a lot of irritation from cheaper makeups like the e.l.f. compacts. I use J lynne cosmetics mineral makeup and it's amazing.

different brands of mineral makeup contains various types of ingredients, some of which certain people may be sensitive to. these include mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, lauroyl lysine, chromium oxide greens (especially for olive skin tones), ultramarines, boron nitride, or bismuth oxychloride.