Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark Vanilla

Could the Location of Acne Suggest Possible Triggers?

While reading all kinds of different forums and websites trying to figure this stuff out I came across an interesting question:

Could the location of acne on the face suggest the possible triggers?

For example, I currently only have acne on my chin and forehead but it's pretty severe. However, I recently (30+ days ago) discontinued the topicals and it wasn't until then that I developed acne on my forehead. While on BP my forehead was completely clear. I've read about other people developing forehead acne when coming off of BP on this board as well.

Also, Brenton B recently posted about how he completely cleared his severe acne in 6 months using an anti-candida diet. While his acne was severe, he had virtually no acne on his forehead or chin area: It was mostly his cheeks and upper jaw line. He obviously had candida as the anti-candida diet worked extremely well for him so could severe cysts on the cheeks only be an indicator of Candida? (I'm taking a complete shot in the dark here.)

Does anyone have any idea if there is a correlation? I believe if there are correlations and we find them we can better understand and treat our problems.

Here are a list of possible triggers that I have found (I'm sure I'm leaving several off):

Candida Overgrowth

Food Allergy

Over-washing/Over-medicating Face

Discontinuing Use of Topicals

Improper Diet

Excessive Stress

Hormone Imbalance

Vitamin Deficiency

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could tell the source of your problem by the location on your face/body?

I could completely be off base here but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

While reading all kinds of different forums and websites trying to figure this stuff out I came across an interesting question:

Could the location of acne on the face suggest the possible triggers?

For example, I currently only have acne on my chin and forehead but it's pretty severe. However, I recently (30+ days ago) discontinued the topicals and it wasn't until then that I developed acne on my forehead. While on BP my forehead was completely clear. I've read about other people developing forehead acne when coming off of BP on this board as well.

Also, Brenton B recently posted about how he completely cleared his severe acne in 6 months using an anti-candida diet. While his acne was severe, he had virtually no acne on his forehead or chin area: It was mostly his cheeks and upper jaw line. He obviously had candida as the anti-candida diet worked extremely well for him so could severe cysts on the cheeks only be an indicator of Candida? (I'm taking a complete shot in the dark here.)

Does anyone have any idea if there is a correlation? I believe if there are correlations and we find them we can better understand and treat our problems.

Here are a list of possible triggers that I have found (I'm sure I'm leaving several off):

Candida Overgrowth

Food Allergy

Over-washing/Over-medicating Face

Discontinuing Use of Topicals

Improper Diet

Excessive Stress

Hormone Imbalance

Vitamin Deficiency

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could tell the source of your problem by the location on your face/body?

I could completely be off base here but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey this is a big question for me also. For example, usually I don't have problems with pimples, cysts or bad acne, just T-zone problems like oil, lots of blackheads, whiteheads and ocassional pimples, cysts before my period.I am from Romania and last summer I travelled to UK, Birmingham and I came back with my forehead covered with all kinds of stuff:big ugly blackheads, very small things like weird small red zits, my forehead was covered with these, awfull- I never had that on my forehead never, never. Not to mention that while I was in UK, I developed loots of cysts, pimples, whiteheads on my chin and jaw line especially, and to my surprise, also on my neck or just below my jawline, plus my temples! I was so stressed cos of this and now I am recovering from all the scars! First I thought is maybe the weather, stress, food or whatever, altough the air was so clear, no dust- it was great, but my face was horrible! When I came back (in Sept) everybody asked me what happened to my face, I had the same problem, all the things right there (altough after a month or so my forehead became more clear) on my face till December, when my doctor gave me Skinoren and now my face is ...fine, my scars are fading, I do get some big ugly pimples before my period, but just 2-3 and not 5-6 like I had, so this is hormonal but sometimes eventough I am not on my period they come back. So I am curious these pimples are signs that something is wrong with my body, but what and where? I read somewhere that pimples on the forehead- bad digestion, cheeks- the lungs are not getting enough oxygen or so, jawline- toxins in the body... the problem is that I read that article in a hurry so I couldn't read carefully, just glimpses of the article. If you know more than me, please help :).

Ahaa. I found that article I told you about! Finally. Here it goes: pimples on the forehead- possible problems with the intestines, on the nose- possible heart problems, on the cheeks- may be lungs and chest problems, on the jawline- may be kidney problems, on the shoulders- digestive problems,on the upper back- may be lungs problems, on the chest- heart on lungs problems.

Maybe I will find somewhere else also but a complete list, because I know somewhere I read about toxins, liver and pancreas problems.

Food intolerances seem to cause breakouts in specific places. I've been reading some old threads (which everyone should do, there used to be some good ones) and I've seen several people mention that peanuts broke them out between the eyebrows.

I'm allergic to citrus, and before I figured it out, I used to get cysts all along my jawline and hairline, neck and back. And I believe that the different fruits break me out in different places, but I am unwilling to prove it. I cut them out years ago, but I did try having a tangerine last year and I got cysts on my temples for the first time in over a decade. And having key limes resulted in cysts on my neck.

Avocado, Banana: clogged pores around nasal folds

Peanut butter: cysts bridge of nose between eyes, clogged pores on forehead, temples

Walnuts, Peacans, soaked: clogged pores

Fried food: inflamed clogged pores on jawline

Genus prunus, Tomatoes, Pineapple, Strawberries, Raspberries, Apples: painful inflamed red marks jawline

Pears: small white heads under nose

Yoghurt, milk: swollen bumps under bottom lip

Potatoes: clogged pores on chin

Grains: clogged pores on neck and sides of face near ears

Chickpeas, Pea Beans: same as potatoes

Canola, Sunflower, Safflower olis: uninflamed whiteheads smaller than a sharp pencil tip.

If I avoid these foods without touching my face, I can go from broken out to clear in 9 days.

alternavista, which fruits are problematic to you? I think watermelon causes me small, raised bumps that are itchy on my neck.

Oh boy...I never really thought about food allergy, I mean I read and heard about peanuts or milk allergy or just the usuall allergies like yeast, fish and so on. I have a fermentation problem so I don't drink milk ( but I do eat from time to time yoghurt with bifidus) altough I like it sooo much but everytime I drink it I get nausea, my tummy is like a baloon not to mention the gas...baaad thing, and I know that food is problematic for my body and I try to eat healthy but of course when I am stressed or tired I would eat almost anything, I am not crazy about fast food or fried stuff and I eat only chicken and fish like tuna mostly. Now about ur list meat_pirate86 -I had no clue about the fruits or potatoes! Alternativista- citrus waw... I thought citrus is good for the skin and for the body in general. I know that having a balanced diet is important for the whole mind and mind and spirit but I also include fruits, because I say they are very healthy. I love bananas and I eat sometimes 2 weeks out of a month, sometimes my body needs bananas cos my muscles needs magnesium, my heart needs potassium, good for digestion, plus is antidepressive.... I am also crazy about apples and strawberries but I can't find fresh strawberries in the winter and I don't want them with chemicals from the supermarket, I only buy in the summer from the fruits and veg, but I try to eat apples everyday, sometimes it works , sometimes not :). Well, you gave me something to think about, both of you :)

I think that this is a very interesting topic. I tend to eat the same foods over time and break out in the same areas over and over (lower jawline and chin). What is strange is that when I eat things that I normally do not eat, I will break out in different places (forehead, nose, so on). I think there's something to this, but it seems like it could be different for every person. I'm so happy that acne is so confusing.

For me personally:

Chin - liver overload; this happens when I take supplements or medications my body doesn't like or can't process. For some reason, it shows up on my chin/below lips. This also happens for me if I eat too much black pepper (which is a liver irritant when it's eaten as ground pepper).

Jawline - Adrenal/stress trouble; I've noticed it's not so much breakouts here, but red marks that appear when my stress levels are overly high for too long or if I overeat/don't get enough sleep.

Blackheads on nose - too much fat esp. bad fats although the same seems to apply for healthy ones as well.

Below sides of mouth - too much sugar/not enough salt with sugar/eating sugar while stressed

jawline acne is 90% HORMONAL...

..for me anyways.

i started taking evening primrose to balance my hormones.

haven't gotten a active zit on my jawline/chin/neck for 2 weeks now.

So my terrible chin acne could be due to these things:

Liver Problems (No idea how to fix these)

Potatoes (Or most carbs for that matter)

Black Pepper (I eat a lot of it)

Hormones (Don't know how to control these)

I strongly believe that I have food allergies but I eat so many types of foods that it's hard to tell which ones aggravate. Typically how long do they take to surface? I was almost completely clear on the DKR after being on it for about 3 months and then all of a sudden I had a terrible breakout on my chin. Completely horrible and out of nowhere... That's when I decided to discontinue the use of topicals because I had been on some type of topical for at least 6 or 7 years and I was still having problems. However, it wasn't until I stopped the DKR that I developed this horrible forehead acne.

Anyway, that was Christmas and I'm still having problems with my chin acne. I just don't understand why it came so sporadically and hasn't left.

Acne on your chin is due to hormones. I had that is well and interestingly enough, also had some small bumps on my forehead. I cleared up my acne with daily green smoothies. They provide your body with much needed beta-carotene and they also help to balance hormones (especially the cruciferous greens and veggies). I *strongly* recommend giving them a try and definitely think they could help you. There's a link about them in my signature. Good luck! :)

Thanks ABG Fairy. I'll definitely give those smoothies a try.

What's crazy to me is the vast amount of conflicting information about acne out there. For example, the green smoothie method opts for low amounts of animal meats and high amounts of fruits and grains which are both high in carbs. I've read so many threads stating that carbs are a main source of acne aggravation. However I'm not discounting its credibility. However, Brenton B as well as someone else I can't think of used mostly a meat and fat diet with great success. It's just frustrating when different people have success with conflicting regimens because you have no idea what to try.

However, so far this thread has given me some good ideas. I appreciate everyone's input.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what causes forehead acne?

Also Cementface, what kind of evening primrose do you use and how long did you take it before you started seeing results?

DarkVanilla,

You are welcome, and I *totally* emphasize with being confused about all the conflicting methods!! I remember how exhausting it felt at times trying to figure out what to do.

About the green smoothies, where did you get the idea that it advocated for lots of grains? Grains aren't even necessary for good health. Perhaps you confused beans to be a grain? Beans are low-glycemic. "Beans and nuts are among foods that only modestly increase blood glucose levels; scientists describe these foods as having a low glycemic index." (Recommended Diet for Diabetics May Need Changing, Study Suggests).

Since you don't need grains for health, you can actually get by with just doing beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, lots of veggies, and a few pieces of fruit everyday, most all of which are low-glycemic foods with the exception of most fruits and starchy veggies like potatoes and cooked carrots. However, to make things simpler for you, know that you can add blended greens to *any* diet you chose... whether it's paleo or vegan, whatever.... just be sure to get some blended greens in your diet. You can keep the smoothies low carb if you'd like by using low-sugar fruits - or no fruits at all. My post gives veggie smoothie recipes and also a basic blended greens soup recipe. The green smoothies are one thing you shouldn't feel confused about - you have nothing to lose with them.If you do *anything,* definitely add blended greens to your diet!

Peanut butter: cysts bridge of nose between eyes, clogged pores on forehead, temples

Genus prunus, Tomatoes, Pineapple, Strawberries, Raspberries, Apples: painful inflamed red marks jawline

Canola, Sunflower, Safflower olis: uninflamed whiteheads smaller than a sharp pencil tip.

That's quite an exhaustive list. Is this is a list of how foods affect your skin, or is there a source for these?

These are notes I've made when testing various foods. I have had mild acne for years, and because I am obsessed with perfect skin, I'm observant. If I avoid these foods I am 100% clear.

jawline acne is 90% HORMONAL...

..for me anyways.

i started taking evening primrose to balance my hormones.

haven't gotten a active zit on my jawline/chin/neck for 2 weeks now.

I also think that jawline/neck is 90% cos of hormones. I realised that when I did a search in my brain...long story but anyway,for me is hormonal. I heard that evening primrose is very good for this. I will definitly try, but maybe I can find some tea, I am not a fan of pills with chemicals and even if I take them from a health store/ natural stuff, I still have my doubts so maybe a tea for me will work , if I won't find the tea I will take the capsules.

alternavista, which fruits are problematic to you? I think watermelon causes me small, raised bumps that are itchy on my neck.

Citrus is the only thing that causes breakouts. And I don't have a problem with lemons and most limes. I was still getting a few breakouts from key limes which I tended to buy before I figured out they were causing the few cysts I still got on my neck and back. That was a few years ago and I've been having more and more lemon and lime since, so either key limes are more allergenic, or my diet changes have made me better and I can now tolerate the lemon and lime juice.

Now about ur list meat_pirate86 -I had no clue about the fruits or potatoes! Alternativista- citrus waw... I thought citrus is good for the skin and for the body in general. I know that having a balanced diet is important for the whole mind and mind and spirit but I also include fruits, because I say they are very healthy.

Nothing that you can't digest or have any kind of intolerance to is healthy.

It's just frustrating when different people have success with conflicting regimens because you have no idea what to try.

Start by cutting back processed foods and drinks, especially those containing HFCS and hydrogenated fats. Eat more real, nutrient dense foods. And try to figure out if you have any food intolerances and eliminate those foods. There's been thousands of threads on ways to do this.

Note that poor digestion will lead to more intolerances. Chew your food, don't binge eat.

Over about the past two weeks, I've been trying to eliminate almost all carbs and processed foods from my diet except the lettuce from salads and eating lots of coconut oil/milk as well as meat such as chicken and fish. So far, my chin acne is starting to clear up a little bit, but my forehead acne is getting worse.

Does anyone know what might trigger forehead acne? I've never had this forehead acne so bad in my life before and I really want to understand what is causing it so I can stop doing it!

Thanks again for all of the insight.

Over about the past two weeks, I've been trying to eliminate almost all carbs and processed foods from my diet except the lettuce from salads and eating lots of coconut oil/milk as well as meat such as chicken and fish. So far, my chin acne is starting to clear up a little bit, but my forehead acne is getting worse.

Does anyone know what might trigger forehead acne? I've never had this forehead acne so bad in my life before and I really want to understand what is causing it so I can stop doing it!

Thanks again for all of the insight.

too much milk or sugar gives me forehead acne.

DarkVanilla,

Someone earlier posted in a thread that forehead acne could be due to sluggish digestion. Do you get enough fiber in your diet? I used to always have a few mild, but consistent blemishes on my forehead, but it all cleared up with green smoothies. I think the three keys to the smoothies working are fiber, beta-carotene (vitamin A), and that they help balance hormones.

good info ..i also think that sleeping face down on pillows can increase the chance of infection and inflamation. My right cheek is filled up with pimples while my left one is clear as the sun is

good info ..i also think that sleeping face down on pillows can increase the chance of infection and inflamation. My right cheek is filled up with pimples while my left one is clear as the sun is

Wow! Have you tried using a gentle detergent and no fabric softener? Is your pillow case new? Perhaps it still has some chemicals within the fabric. Soaking the pillow case in baking soda will help! You could also wash/dry on high heat to kill any possible germs that might be lurking. Anyone else have suggestions for this?

I change my pillow case every 2-3 days, when I wash my hair also, this is a rule for me, cos all the dirt from my hair gets on the pillow case and then on my skin. Plus I change my face towell every 3 days and I have a separate towell for face and one for my body.

I change my pillow case and my face towel every 2-3 days, when I wash my hair also, cos otherwise all the dirt in my hair gets on my pillows then on my face , the result- pimples.

Oh I posted that twice. ha ha . sorry

If I avoid these foods without touching my face, I can go from broken out to clear in 9 days.

I think I may just stop eating altogether, far easier option! lol!

I do agree totally agree with different foods playing key roles in irritating acne and acupuncture did help my skin in balancing internal problems within the body. I was taking a mixture of EPO and Gingko for a long time however couldn't afford the costly acupuncture sessions (and the equally expensive pills!). Thus, my acne came back with a vengeance! I can't spend the rest of my life realigning my organs and looking like Hellraiser on a good day, so back to the drawing board for me. You'd think by the age of 27 my spots would be subsiding slightly (I didn't even have one spot in my teens!), but hey that's life. :rolleyes:

This is very, very interesting. I think this is definitely something of which we should take note.