Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sammy j

Acne Scar Laser Removal

Okay so im really new at this and i just wanted everyone's opinion on what i should do.

Im only 19 so i have fairly good skin the only thing holding me back is one side of my face suffers from these shallow acne scras that were caused by when i was younger and broke out A LOT (prior to going on birth control now i rarely have a few pimples here and there). I went to a medical spa right next to me (agape medical spa in MA) and they suggested maybe only one vigorous treatment of this brand new laser they were getting in would do the trick because my scars are very shallow and more wavy then deep (basically im just self concious in sunlight because they look horrible). But anyways at the time i didn't have the money for it costing $2,200, but now i do and would really like to get it done, im just worried after reading some reviews that i'll start breaking out again from the oily jelly stuff that you have to put on your face after the treatment to prevent damage. I'm just really nervous about my skin turning out worse then it is now, but all these scars do is depress me. A little help or advice please =)

DONT DO IT.

You may suffer worse damage.

I have had experience of this first hand.

My shallow scars became BURNS and my entire face was treated so my skin will NEVER be the same.

Please look into EVERY other option BEFORE laser re surfacing...

I was ignorant when I had it, and WISH id known of the dangers.

So start looking at non invasive ways to slowly get rid of those shallow scars.

Goodluck! (no laser) :naughty: its NOT a quick fix, its a NIGHTMARE that has lasted years for me.

I know you are only 19 and you probably think you know best, but listen to us. Don't get laser treatment. You will harm yourself. Go to the EDS forum (type that in to google). The ladies on that site will be able to help you greatly.

I definitely understand the dangers of lasers, however, I am a candidate that had it done with good results. I had mine done a couple years ago with the Fraxel laser, and my skin had no bad side effects. I probably improved my scarring by 40%. However, if I were you, I would not get it done at a medical spa. Look online for dermatologists in your area and find one that specializes in laser resurfacing. Also read doctor reviews. On top of that, my scarring was mainly on my forehead and side of my nose, and because it wasn't the full face, he only charged me $250 each session. (I had 3). Those that have had theirs done at spas usually have bad side effects. Mainly, this is because the people there only know how to do facials, etc. and buy these machines thinking it's easy to do. My derm. went to trainings on how to use the Fraxel properly and effectively. Hope this helps! You are young, your scars will improve with time, too. Remember that. I have terrible scarring that I hate and I keep looking into the day when something comes out that is 100% removal. Keep up the hope for that. But if this laser helps you in the meantime, go for it. Just be smart because it's your face!

DONT GET LASERS ... to many risks especialy if you have dark skin. if they are shallow you should try something else like dermaroller / needling but get it done from a derm who is good at it. if they are shallow you could get a filler done .... they are temp but are much much safer then lasers.

Whenever I see people asking what scar treatment they should get, you can find at least a couple of people on this board that support/not support any particular treatment, often without mentioning what kind of scarring they were trying to treat or without elaborating on how it worked/didn't work for them.

Please regard everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, specifically

Just because it didn't work for this person, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you

and likewise

Just because it worked for those people doesn't mean it will work for you.

Ultimately it's your choice what to try or not try, but keep in mind when people say try/don't try _____ it worked/didn't work for me. They have entirely different skin than yours, they have different values of what they consider improvement.

With a little research you can see that lasers run a wide gamut, saying I have had a terrible experience with Fraxel:Restore is quite different than saying I had a terrible experience with smoothbeam.

If you want some general advice regarding lasers than ...

Laser's require a regimen of several monthly treatments to see modest results.

Lasers work best for Caucasians, the darker your skintone is the more risk there is of complications such as hyperpigmentation.

Lasers have a variety of power settings so the experience is different from two different operators even operating the same model.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my post, it gave me a lot to think about and i actually think that im going to set up an appointment with a dermatologist and ask abot the dermaroller and where i can find someone who specializes in that because i just did research on it on the internet and the reviews look amazing! The before and after picture for deep scars looked great, so i think i'll do fine with that. But what i was wondering is has anyone had this procedure done before and how much it cost? Thanks guys you helped a lot! :D