Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack1243

Acutane and insurance

Hey everyone, I am new here and wanted to ask you all a question. I am debating on whether or not to start accutane. I've tried minocycline, and unfortunately, it did not work too well. I have Blue Cross and I live in California, will my insurance cover the costs of accutane and the check-ups at the derm's office?

you will probably have some co-pays depending on your deductible and stuff. most of my cost was covered (United Healthcare). you can always call your insurance company and ask them.... and there might be some info online

Well...what are your benefits? That would be a good start. Of course you have Anthem Blue Cross, but they also have a bazillion different plans.

You'll probably pay copays to your doctor's visits. It might be charged as a specialty visit which can cost more, but that all depends on your benefits. Your lab work will probably be applied towards your deductibles, and the script may cost as a generic script.

I live in CA too and I have Kaiser. From my experience, the cost of accutane was the same cost as minocycline. All my medication is $5 per prescription....so I would assume whatever you paid for the mino is what you'd pay for the accutane.

As for derm appointments, I also pay as much as regular dr visits, so it wasn't bad at all. This is my own medical plan, so hopefully yours is similar.

I have Blue Cross as well, though it's different in every state and I'm not in Cali. I pay $10 copay for the meds, about $30 for the blood tests & $20 for the derm visit. It's a ton cheaper than you'd pay without insurance, on the meds alone. So yes, BCBS covers derm visits and Accutane, unless for some reason it's that different in Cali. I'd call the # on the back of your insurance card and make sure.

Thanks for all your help, I attempted to call the customer service number on the back of my bluecross blue shield card, but whenever I called blue shield said they were not open. Which is pretty annoying, because I always called during their office hours. However, the good news is my dermatologist approved me for accutane and I am getting blood work done tomorrow. However, can someone who lives in California, who has Blue Cross Blue Shield (PPO), tell me whether accutane is covered, I need to know by today! Thanks in advance.

I also have Blue Cross, but it doesn't cover Accutane. It does, however, cover the generic brands as long as I'm under 40. Insurance companies vary state to state so your best bet is to contact your carrier directly.

eta: Google is your friend. I found out my Accutane info on the internet. You might have to sift through a few pages, but I bet you can find the answer, too.

https://www.blueshieldca.com/bsc/pharmacy/pharmacy_401.jhtml

Accutane is listed under the drug database and formulary section, but you still might need to contact your carrier directly or log in to find out if your specific plan covers the drug and what your co-pay might be. Sorry the info isn't more helpful. I had to log in to my state's Blue Cross page to get the full info.