Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sean !

Oily freakin skin.

If you can accept all the scientific evidence (and there's quite a lot of it) that washing doesn't affect the activity of sebaceous glands, then you and I have taken a BIG step together in the right direction.

So over washing your face has no effect either?

I do think that the reason some people have claimed that their skin produces more sebum whan they wash it often has to do with the feel of oil on their skin. Washing it more often produces more skin exfoliation, which in turn causes their skin to have a slicker feel, which in turn makes them think that there's more oil there than there really is.

The reason you stated above is golden! Feeling is much more important to a person than actual facts. If it feels good then we don't care about the facts behind it, but if it does not feel good then we would spend whatever it needs to correct it.

Don't put words in my mouth! :) When I used the word "feel" above, I was referring to the actual physical, tactile FEEL of sebum against the skin, not the word "feel" as in emotions, point of view, opinion, etc.

- Yes, I am referring to actual physical, tactile feel too.

I guess this settles the argument then.

If you can accept all the scientific evidence (and there's quite a lot of it) that washing doesn't affect the activity of sebaceous glands, then you and I have taken a BIG step together in the right direction.

- Yeah, it is more logical. I initially thought that what you are referring to is the appearance of the sebum but now it is clear that you only refer to the amount of sebum.

Okay, now this is my stand regarding sebum, washing or not washing will not affect the amount of sebum produced but will affect the appearance and feel of sebum on the skin. Now we are on the right direction, aren't we?

So over washing your face has no effect either?

No, over-washing doesn't affect the production rate of sebum. That issue has been thoroughly tested.

- Yeah, it is more logical. I initially thought that what you are referring to is the appearance of the sebum but now it is clear that you only refer to the amount of sebum.

Okay, now this is my stand regarding sebum, washing or not washing will not affect the amount of sebum produced but will affect the appearance and feel of sebum on the skin. Now we are on the right direction, aren't we?

If you can make just one slight change of wording by saying that washing or not washing _may_ affect the appearance and feel of sebum on the skin (because I would imagine that not everybody can notice those effects), then you and I are finally on the same page! :)

I see, "may" is a neutral gentle choice of word and "will" is forceful and aggressive choice of word.

"may" is enticing for those who are open-minded while "will" is enticing to those who are doubtful-minded. I think I'd go for those who are open-minded, the doubtful ones will always be left out.

Washing or not washing will not affect the amount of sebum produced but may affect the appearance and feel of sebum on the skin.

There it goes, I think this makes much more sense. Don't you think so?

Washing or not washing will not affect the amount of sebum produced but may affect the appearance and feel of sebum on the skin.

There it goes, I think this makes much more sense. Don't you think so?

Yes. I think we're in general agreement. A miracle has occured! :angel:

I used to have REALLY oily skin too, like when you go out and after a couple of hours everything is shining, especially the forehead and you just feel like a complete grease ball!!

Anyway, i don't have issues with it anymore. I have been taking 'Vilantae' - you can look this up on the internet - it is a supplement that reduces the oil and is described as the next best thing to Accutane. However, it is NATURAL and won't harm you like accutane. They do tell you to give it 3 months though in order for it to be fully in your system. Also, if you are one of the 10% it doesn't work for you can send back the 3 empty bottles and they will refund you!! That is why i decided to try it as i had nothing to lose. Needless to say i didn't have to send the bottles back and i'm now on my fourth bottle. My skin is NOT GREASY! I look normal!!

I have also been doing Dan's regimen and my acne has DRAMATICALLY cleared up!! I am SOOOO happy! I can go out without makeup and my skin looks clear (i'm planning on doing a blog to show my progress as i've been keeping a photographic log). I cannot believe that over christmas i was soooo depressed because my skin was so spotty and angry. Now i am not oily and the spots are very nearly gone - my skin is not PERFECT - YET - but i'm getting there and i don't feel self concious anymore.

My Regimen

Morning

L'occitane Red Rice Foaming cleanser

1 1/2 pumps Benzol Peroxide

Skinfood SPF 15+ Moisturiser (100% paraben free)

Supplements - 1/2 ounce Vilantae (liquid form)

450mg Saw Palmetto and Berry Extract

1000mg Omega 3 Fish Oils

Evening

L'occitane Red Rice Foaming Cleanser Cleanse

1 1/2 pumps of Benzol Peroxide

Moisturise - Skin Food Moisturiser (without SPF 15)

Supplements - 1/2 ounce Vilantae

450mg Saw Palmetto and Berry extract

2000mg Omega 3 Fish Oils

I used to have REALLY oily skin too, like when you go out and after a couple of hours everything is shining, especially the forehead and you just feel like a complete grease ball!!

Anyway, i don't have issues with it anymore. I have been taking 'Vilantae' - you can look this up on the internet - it is a supplement that reduces the oil and is described as the next best thing to Accutane. However, it is NATURAL and won't harm you like accutane. They do tell you to give it 3 months though in order for it to be fully in your system. Also, if you are one of the 10% it doesn't work for you can send back the 3 empty bottles and they will refund you!! That is why i decided to try it as i had nothing to lose. Needless to say i didn't have to send the bottles back and i'm now on my fourth bottle. My skin is NOT GREASY! I look normal!!

Is it expensive ?

I know you said it wont harm you but have you experienced any side effects ?

But ya thanks i'll look it up.

get this. in the morning when i wake up, my face is so oily i can soak up 3-4 oil blotting paper.

within an hour it will get back to be very oily.

i can't be in a room unless it's very cold. or else my oil will produce like crazy.

even in the winter my face gets very oily. i tried many things including Benzoyl Peroxide, nothing worked. I even tried a product called OC8, which is supposed to help with oil. but i find that using OC8, my face was not only OILY but it was Shimmery. Even worse.

i was reading articles which talked about Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to use as a toner.

First I tried diluting it with 1/3 water, 1/3 Dicksinson Witch Hazel Toner, and 1/3 Organic Apple Cider, it was too weak for my super oily face.

Then I decided to use it FULL STrengh, UNDILUTED.

and amazingly it works. Although i see some slight skin peeling near the mouth lines, my face has been dry.

I would wash my face regularly, Then Apply the Undiluted ACV all over my face, let it dry and apply 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. I'm so happy after trying many things that does not work for me.

And Please don't forget to Moisturize your face. Even though your face is OILY, it still needs moisture.

Use LIghtly and Use oil free and gentle moisturizer.

This has worked for me so far and I wish you good luck.

Steps:

Wash Face, Dry.

Apply Undiluted ORGANIC apple Cider Vinegar with cotton ball, wait till dry.

Apply 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. let dry.

Apply moisturizer LIGHTLY, remember use the OIL free one.

Good LUck

My face is so oily there is no way I can get a date..Im 49 years old.

It's so depressing and gets really bad in hot humid weather.

If you don't have nice skin in this society your treated like a freak.

I wash my face and an hour later nothing but oil and people notice.

Can anybody help me. :cry:

post-97221-1235673680_thumb.jpg

post-97221-1235673680_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

A little late to the party here too. I am also an oily skin sufferer. Often felt like if they could hook a rig to my face, I could solve the world's oil crisis. Seriously, I'd wash my face and in a hour, it be glistening from the oil. You could literally see the oil exuding from the pores. It got so bad that my eyes would hurt from the oil on my eyelids.

Anyway, I will be trying saw palmetto to see if that helps. Since I'm a guy, should help with the ol prostate too. I read about zinc, omega fatty acids, B5 and apple cider vinegar on this blog and will try any of the above if saw doesn't work.

But to address your immediate problem, the answer is at your local fast food restaurant - napkins at fast food restaurants. I know you're all thinking WTF? But, those frigging napkins that wipe up the grease from your fries and mouth...those things drink up oil like nobody's business. Believe me, I've tried papers and oil reducing creams. But nothing's worked like those napkins! The best ones are at McD.

Basically, I open up the sheet and gently lay it across my face and press. Be prepared. It looks like the shroud of Turin because it'll make an imprint of your face. I usually use two or three napkins during the day. After I do this, it looks like I just washed my face.

I don't know what this does to my oil production. Nothing I assume. But, this is a practical answer opposed to fixing the problem from the inside.

Be curious what other people think after they've tried this. And, I'm glad to be able to share this with everyone.

Basically, I open up the sheet and gently lay it across my face and press. Be prepared. It looks like the shroud of Turin because it'll make an imprint of your face.

LOL!! You're a funny guy! :)

I don't know what this does to my oil production. Nothing I assume.

You're right about that. It doesn't affect oil production at all, it just absorbs it from the surface.

"LOL!! You're a funny guy! :) "

It's true!! If I were less scrupulous in my morals, I'd sell them on ebay to pay for my acne regimen.

And, as for the oil being a curse (original poster), have you tried zinc or saw palmetto? According to posters here, they affect the sebum production. I'm going to try it and report back here.

I use Tea Tree oil soap and Shea butter aloe vera lotion called RESTORZ handmade soap and lotion . The Tea tree oil helps remove the oil factor and the shea / aloe lotion with tea tree oils is a nice skin balancer. Google it.

have you tried zinc or saw palmetto?

Funny you said that actually i wuz gonna try zinc supplements for yanno the whole sebum shabang also someone else mentioned vilantae i dunno though it's kinda freakin expensive so i'll try the zinc first. :)

My face is so oily there is no way I can get a date..Im 49 years old.

It's so depressing and gets really bad in hot humid weather.

If you don't have nice skin in this society your treated like a freak.

I wash my face and an hour later nothing but oil and people notice.

Can anybody help me. :cry:

If you aint got sh*t to lose vilantae "supposedly" works but you have to megadose on it for like 3 months first and it's kinda expensive.

*moderator edit - now invisible, advertising quoted post removed, plus response to it*

Funny you said that actually i wuz gonna try zinc supplements for yanno the whole sebum shabang also someone else mentioned vilantae i dunno though it's kinda freakin expensive so i'll try the zinc first. :)

i'm going to do both and report back.

that vilantae is basically b5 vitamins or pantothenic acid. there are a couple posts on it here with varying success on it. you have to take large doses and eventually your body stops reacting to you is what i've read.

be curious about saw palmetto. not only is it suppose to help with oily skin but it's suppose to help with the ole prostate.

be curious about saw palmetto. not only is it suppose to help with oily skin but it's suppose to help with the ole prostate.

Thanks man i'll give it a check.

is anyone here using clean and clear oil control film?

I was just recomending those to someone else on this forum. I live by those things and never leave home without them they have worked wonders for controlling the oil on my face. I've tried the proactive ones and the Mary Kay as well and neither of them does as well as the clean&clear. Plus they are easy to get as they sell them at wallmart and every other store like it. :dance:

so glad that there are people who suffer from the same things as me...

I also fake toilet breaks to remove the oil! Wow I thought my friend and I were the only ones who do that haha. Luckily I'm a girl so I find that makeup does help in making your face look less oily.

Until they come out with a government approved drug that targets at oil production, we are pretty much doomed. Usually guys have oilier skin than girls, but my skin is oiler than most guys I've met..