Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sean !

Oily freakin skin.

I feel good when i leave the house .......well to a certain extent and then within a few hours i can feel my skin getting oily , that's kinda when my self esteem starts to plummet n i cant wait to get home to freakin wash my face or sumfin .

Aww man talk about social suicide.

Anyone else feel this way ?

I used to feel exactly like that. But then I switched to Benzoyl peroxide pads as part of my acne routine. It has helped a lot with controlling the oil.

(That and some pressed powder when I feel a little oily..but I think you're a guy so this isn't helpful.)

i know exactly how you feel! to stop the oil, i was using neutrogena's oil blotting sheets (the blue ones) but these are not good for your skin.

now i use these all natural ones, with just one ingredient (abaca leaf fibers)

i still get oily, but these deffinately help that!

http:// www . bosciaskincare. com/newsite/category.php?dept_id=44&PHPSESSID=4ea4e3bd1effc9ee86272a5b2ee688ea

(just remove all the spaces in that^)

Clean & Clear's sheets leave a powder behind. My skin is oily/dehydrated so the powder just contributed to more oil later on.

How did it do that?

Here's the ingredients from the clean and clear sheets...

Propylene, Mineral Oil, 3, 4 Dimethylbenzyl Idene Sorbitol, Zinc Stearate, Ultramarines

Do you think the mineral oil could be bugging you?

I've also used those brown napkins from restaurants...

I feel good when i leave the house .......well to a certain extent and then within a few hours i can feel my skin getting oily , that's kinda when my self esteem starts to plummet n i cant wait to get home to freakin wash my face or sumfin .

Wow i didn't think anyone else felt this way. After leaving my house i feel fresh and clean and then couple of hours later or as soon as i eat, i feel extremely oily, it sucks! I can't wait to get home and wash my face too because i feel like once i get oily i'll start breaking out.

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

Good luck on your quest with all those costly products. I already shared my secret and I don't care on those who will ask for any scientific proofs to back this up. try this for yourselves and see the difference!

:wub:

Wow i didn't think anyone else felt this way. After leaving my house i feel fresh and clean and then couple of hours later or as soon as i eat, i feel extremely oily, it sucks! I can't wait to get home and wash my face too because i feel like once i get oily i'll start breaking out.

Yeah no sh*t it's such a clusterf*ck especially as i look around and im the only one in class/on the bus/worreva with oily skin aww man i feel like sh*t on a shoe or sumfin.

Not Cool :(

Propylene, Mineral Oil, 3, 4 Dimethylbenzyl Idene Sorbitol, Zinc Stearate, Ultramarines

I don't think it was the mineral oil although I could be wrong. They just dried the hell out of my skin to the point where I was more oily 30 minutes later than before I wiped any away.

I don't think it was the mineral oil although I could be wrong. They just dried the hell out of my skin to the point where I was more oily 30 minutes later than before I wiped any away.

Oil sucks, I get really oily on my noise, so much so that it gets all shiny. While at school I often go into the bathroom and pad my oily noise with a paper towel or toilet paper to dab up the oil which seems to help for another few hours.

I can relate with you guys 100%, i experienced the exact same thing. The clean feeling leaving the house, then the sense that the oil is gathering on your nose and cheeks and always wanting to rush home and give your face a rinse.

I have not taken the absolute plunge like Wapak but i solved this oil issue but just rinsing with water morning and night, no cleansers. This allows the natural oils to gather and form a layer on your skin. My skin now has a shine to it and no part looks oily because my entire face is glowing. Each day the shine is dimmed from the day before. If you choose to switch to simply water i also recommend getting fresh air on face as much as possible, and sunshine. Both really helped with this adaptation back to regular skin.

I do not want to advocate anything, i am simply throwing in my own experience here but i just have to ask. Is their anyone here experiencing this oil problem that has not been washing their face with a cleanser at least once a day for a month or more?

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

Appearances can be deceiving. See my thread "If you stop washing, do you get MORE oily, or do you get LESS oily??" in the Acne Research Forum. I used Sebutape test-strips to prove that I got MORE oily, each day that I went without washing. You can see scans of the actual test-strips that I used to prove that.

Ah great i got bryan's attention, i was hoping for that.

I wanted to say that I am really happy you took it upon yourself to test the feedback theory. It is very important to me and others to find tested factual information here. I knew i would catch your attention with the last post because it does seem to be based on the feedback theory and i have seen you and memebrs like Wapak rattling sabers on the issue. I am behind you on your stance on the feedback theory. I do not believe that consistently washing/drying out your face will increase its sebum production in turn making it more oily. My post simply described what I do to avoid that uncomfortable feeling. From my own experience if i let the sebum collect it forms a more comfortable front of my face as opposed to having it tight and then feeling the oil returning. I am sure that there is no difference in the rate or volume that sebum is excreted out of my pores but allowing my face to balance it naturally has made my days a lot easier i must say. I am sure Wapak or you may reply to this but i believe i have found the balance between what the two of you are conflicting about. Byran's test has concluded that their is no reduction in the faces oil due to overwashing, but wapak and others including myself have found it too be a much more comfortable experience when letting the sebum collect and form on the face, making it seem i am sure to many that oil production has been reduced.

Byran's test has concluded that their is no reduction in the faces oil due to overwashing...

Did you mean to say that my test has concluded that there is no increase in the face's oil due to overwashing? Washing your face will certainly remove the oil very effectively, but it WON'T make it worse (more oily) than if you didn't wash it at all.

...but wapak and others including myself have found it too be a much more comfortable experience when letting the sebum collect and form on the face, making it seem i am sure to many that oil production has been reduced.

There _may_ be an element of truth to that, I don't know. I've rarely made statements or expressed opinions about what is more "comfortable" to the skin, I confine most of my comments simply to levels of sebum on the surface of the skin, and to sebum's production rate by the sebaceous glands.

I do think that the reason some people have claimed that their skin produces more sebum whan they wash it often has to do with the feel of oil on their skin. Washing it more often produces more skin exfoliation, which in turn causes their skin to have a slicker feel, which in turn makes them think that there's more oil there than there really is. But that slick feeling doesn't fool a Sebumeter or Sebutape test-strips, which dutifully record the actual amount of oil on the surface, regardless of the feel. That's why I'm constantly telling people to test their sebum production in a scientific fashion, not just with casual day-to-day "guesstimates" having to do with its feel, along with crude visual observations.

Ugh, I do enough arguing with my parents

I think people just need to wash their faces and moisturize as THEY (meaning that individual) feel necessary. Worrying isnt going to help anything.

Byran's test has concluded that their is no reduction in the faces oil due to overwashing...

Did you mean to say that my test has concluded that there is no increase in the face's oil due to overwashing? Washing your face will certainly remove the oil very effectively, but it WON'T make it worse (more oily) than if you didn't wash it at all.

...but wapak and others including myself have found it too be a much more comfortable experience when letting the sebum collect and form on the face, making it seem i am sure to many that oil production has been reduced.

There _may_ be an element of truth to that, I don't know. I've rarely made statements or expressed opinions about what is more "comfortable" to the skin, I confine most of my comments simply to levels of sebum on the surface of the skin, and to sebum's production rate by the sebaceous glands.

I do think that the reason some people have claimed that their skin produces more sebum whan they wash it often has to do with the feel of oil on their skin. Washing it more often produces more skin exfoliation, which in turn causes their skin to have a slicker feel, which in turn makes them think that there's more oil there than there really is. But that slick feeling doesn't fool a Sebumeter or Sebutape test-strips, which dutifully record the actual amount of oil on the surface, regardless of the feel. That's why I'm constantly telling people to test their sebum production in a scientific fashion, not just with casual day-to-day "guesstimates" having to do with its feel, along with crude visual observations.

I see. So you don't really care if oil on skin is harmful or not. What you do care is that there is no difference in oil production whether we wash or not.

I am starting to believe you that there is no increase or decrease in the production of sebum. But I believe that there is a difference in the levels of sebum's appearance on the surface of the skin when we wash it and when we don't wash it. Now, our problem here is the appearance and not the level of production. And the way I solved this problem is through not washing/over washing. ;)

I do think that the reason some people have claimed that their skin produces more sebum whan they wash it often has to do with the feel of oil on their skin. Washing it more often produces more skin exfoliation, which in turn causes their skin to have a slicker feel, which in turn makes them think that there's more oil there than there really is.

The reason you stated above is golden! Feeling is much more important to a person than actual facts. If it feels good then we don't care about the facts behind it, but if it does not feel good then we would spend whatever it needs to correct it.

I guess this settles the argument then.

I see. So you don't really care if oil on skin is harmful or not.

I'm not completely sure what you mean. I tend to doubt that oil on the suface of the skin is harmful. What happens to sebum on its way outside is a different matter, though. Sebum that's flowing outward through the various sebaceous ducts and follicular canals almost certainly isn't going to be as benign as oil that's already on the surface of the skin.

What you do care is that there is no difference in oil production whether we wash or not.

Correct.

I am starting to believe you that there is no increase or decrease in the production of sebum. But I believe that there is a difference in the levels of sebum's appearance on the surface of the skin when we wash it and when we don't wash it.

There's a difference in the feel of sebum, too.

I do think that the reason some people have claimed that their skin produces more sebum whan they wash it often has to do with the feel of oil on their skin. Washing it more often produces more skin exfoliation, which in turn causes their skin to have a slicker feel, which in turn makes them think that there's more oil there than there really is.

The reason you stated above is golden! Feeling is much more important to a person than actual facts. If it feels good then we don't care about the facts behind it, but if it does not feel good then we would spend whatever it needs to correct it.

Don't put words in my mouth! :) When I used the word "feel" above, I was referring to the actual physical, tactile FEEL of sebum against the skin, not the word "feel" as in emotions, point of view, opinion, etc.

I guess this settles the argument then.

If you can accept all the scientific evidence (and there's quite a lot of it) that washing doesn't affect the activity of sebaceous glands, then you and I have taken a BIG step together in the right direction.