Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vonshu

3rd day of juice fast- face getting worse

I planned to do a 9 day juice fast, just drinking fresh vegetable juice and water everyday. It is now the 3rd day of the fast and my face has gotten a good bit worse. However, several days ago I ate a whole bunch of junk food, so I guess it's possible that that is still affecting me..but I don't think it would be after 5 days. Is it possible that my acne is worsening because I have the metabolic type of a meat eater? Or is it possible that may face is just/still purging from the fast and that it will get better shortly? If anyone knows why this could be I would be very greatly to hear it. Thanks

also I forgot to mention I've been not washing my face for about the last month or so, but it had been steadily improving, if not staying the same up until several days ago, or maybe closer to a week

I think it is a myth that whenever you make some kind of diet change your skin starts "purging" itself causing acne to even greater degree. The bacteria that cause infection in acne blemishes don't feed on "waste" that your body is mysteriously excreting.

When you are consuming anything but water you aren't really "fasting". You're metabolizing whatever energy source you are consuming, albeit not very well which is why you're breaking out like this.

There was a guy who posted here a while ago about changes in his skin when he started a fast, a real fast with nothing but water and his skin only improved, it never worsened.

I think it is a myth that whenever you make some kind of diet change your skin starts "purging" itself causing acne to even greater degree.

So do I. I don't buy into the whole "purging" or your skin is "detoxing" thing at all.

Vonshu,

How are you doing? There have been a lot of comments from people starting green smoothies that their skin worsened at first, so I think there could be something to detox symptoms showing up on your face. I do believe that our bodies detox when we give them the chance to do so by eliminating junk and eating healthful foods.

I wanted to mention as well that Drainer15 had a good point about the sugar content in the juice possibly breaking you out. Many derms have noted that their patients do better on a low-glycemic diet, and sugar is just the opposite. For this reason, I recommend making your juice at least made of half greens.

I'm sure you've broken your fast by now, but continuing to juice would be a great idea. If you still want to do another cleanse down the road but not a fast, you might check out Dr. Fuhrman's Five-Day Super-Diet Challenge