Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dostoyevsky

Hormonal Acne - What can be done?

Sure, removing things from the diet will help, but you'll never completely fix it.. You still need the BP to fix it, and BP will do such a good job that you can eat whatever you want.

Sure, removing things from the diet will help, but you'll never completely fix it.. You still need the BP to fix it, and BP will do such a good job that you can eat whatever you want.

BP isn't the only way to treat acne.

in my opinion, it is one of the worst.

it will thin out your skin, irritate it and even prolong red marks.

but if it works for you, don't stop.

BP isn't the only way to treat acne.

in my opinion, it is one of the worst.

it will thin out your skin, irritate it and even prolong red marks.

but if it works for you, don't stop.

Seconded. BP is far too harsh on the skin in my opinion and can cause long term damage. It's one thing getting rid of the acne but what's the point when you're left with red marks and permanent scarring which you then have to try and deal with? That's not to mention the side effects we don't even know of yet. Think what could happen to the skin in 20 or 30 years when it weakens naturally anyway.

Can anything be done about hormonal acne?

It's not that I just get a pimple or two once a month... I get big zits that form under the skin for about a week and get really big. Once they come to a head they look awful and stay for a week or two... then I'm left with red marks/scars and it's time for a brand new cycle again. So although the worst of my acne comes from my monthly cycle, it affects me constantly.

Are there any foods I can eat or avoid to help balance my hormones? Or any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, yeah, this sounds just like mine... Go to your gp, i have been given Oxytetracycline, it helps with the inflammation ,

hey laindenver.

i was wondering if you have noticed as results from using DIM? it has been almost a month since you posted that you started using it... how are you feeling about it? do you think it has helped you at all?

Take care and i hope you are doing well

I have this exact problem. About a week or so before my period I break out and not just little ones huge ones lol they stick around for a longtime. Then I will be clear for about a week before the whole process starts again. I will have to look into evening primrose and see if it can help me. Right now I am using the acne.org regimen not Dan's products though I am using cetaphil cleanser bar , nutrogena on the sopt treatment and olay complete mosturizer. I love the cetaphil cleanser it is great on my skin. The on the spot treatment at first wasn't bothering me now my skin feels so dry and is starting to flake. I am almost postive that my acne is hormonal so I am not really sure if I need to be using the BP and all of that or if I should just wash my face 2 times a day and start taking something to balance my hormones.

Try Evening Primrose Oil, around 3 a day spaced out. Great for balancing hormones (and helps with PMS, cramps etc..) Its great for skin, hair and nails.

Guys and girls can take it. All natural. (obviously read the lable, use common sense, blah blah)

;) Its worked wonders for me

I couldnt take the pill because it made me sick all the time, same with mini pill, and anything with estrogen in it... so i had to go as natural as possible with everything.

I dont recomend the pill, especially as a first option, messing with your hormones isnt the best (from a 24yo married womans perspective) it effects alot of areas in your body not just your skin... like your temper-worse usually, mood swings, no labido, weight gain, painful sex, some doctors say infertility (and more) and once you stop taking it your skin will usually return to how it was. It does work for some, but just be aware of what you are doing and make an informed choice to take it or not.

Hormones are not a bad thing, we need them, they just need the right suppliments/eating etc. to help them learn to settle.

Good luck!!

Thank you for ths tip!!

I have been battling the hormonal / cystic acne since I was 14. I'm 39 y/o now and it hasn't slowed down at all. The only thing that has helped me and not given me a bad reaction is Spironolactone.

Spironolactone blocks the androgen receptors of the oil glands cutting down the oil production of the oil glands and thus reduces the growth of acne bacteria and the formation of comedo.

Ask your derm about it.

I am almost postive that my acne is hormonal so I am not really sure if I need to be using the BP and all of that or if I should just wash my face 2 times a day and start taking something to balance my hormones.

Ditto!!!!