Notifications
Clear all

Constant Redness - What can i do? (pics incl.)

MemberMember
(@ppjjmm)

Posted : 02/03/2009 11:15 pm

Alright. I'm 21, i've had enough of this. So I've been dealing with this redness for as long as i can remember. My cheeks ALWAYS seems to have this big blotchy red spot on them. It's really, really getting to me lately. I get the odd pimple, not a huge deal for me, but if i could find a way to get rid of this redness i would be ecstatic.

I'm not sure if it's Rosacea or not. Never actually had it checked out by any dermatologist (and from reading up here, even if i do get diagnosed with Rosecea, it doesn't sound like there is much they can do about it). I don't use any medication of any kind, nor do I use any sort of topical creams.

The redness is generally far more pronounced later in the day. In the morning it is "okay" - but "okay" is still much worse than it should be. It will flare up on cold days, warm days, especially sudden temperature changes (ie. walking into a building on a cool morning), spicy foods, alcohol, physical exertion of any kind, and sometimes for just no good reason at all.

It's not itchy or dry. Doesn't flake or anything like that. Not really a burning sensation or anything like that, but i can definitley feel when it does flush.

I've included some pics - maybe someone has a similar problem? Is there ANYTHING i can do to attempt to control the redness? (BTW, the lighting is decent where i took the pics - it can look a LOT more red in different types of lighting).

post-84368-1233720798_thumb.jpg

post-84368-1233720822_thumb.jpg

post-84368-1233720838_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@adamrodriguez)

Posted : 02/04/2009 4:34 am

what do you use in that area

MemberMember
(@ppjjmm)

Posted : 02/04/2009 5:05 pm

I dont use anything... No chemicals at all beyond soap when i wash my face

MemberMember
(@titosmommy)

Posted : 02/04/2009 9:05 pm

It sounds like rosacea to me. I've had rosacea since my mid 20s. The trigger factors you mention (cold, alcohol, spicy foods) are tell tale signs of rosacea. I suggest that you make an appt to see a derm. I take Oracea and Finacea topical to control. They really work very well. I also wear a daily oil free sunscreen which you must do when you have rosacea. You need to avoid the trigger factors as much as you can. Also you need to use a mild cleanser, nothing with alcohol in it or anything irritating. Rosacea can be controlled and you just need to get the right medication.

MemberMember
(@adamrodriguez)

Posted : 02/05/2009 2:52 am

maybe that soap you are using is building up on the surface of your epidermis.. soap, any soap when used for a long time can be trapped in your pores, its called residue. So maybe next time when you use soap use a gentle exolifation with a wet towel, try lathering up the towell with the soap and use it next time when you wash your face.

And to prevent residual buildup just use water and towell off.

Im just giving advice however, i to am struggling with redness and irritation, i personally think it was from a moisturizer i used not long ago that made my face so red and blotchy, so i decided to get rid of it out of my face and guess what happened.. days passed on and i noticed the redness going away at a slow pace. But however it could be from overdryness, i dont have an opinion on that just yet.

MemberMember
(@adamrodriguez)

Posted : 02/05/2009 2:52 am

maybe that soap you are using is building up on the surface of your epidermis.. soap, any soap when used for a long time can be trapped in your pores, its called residue. So maybe next time when you use soap use a gentle exolifation with a wet towel, try lathering up the towell with the soap and use it next time when you wash your face.

And to prevent residual buildup just use water and towell off.

Im just giving advice however, i to am struggling with redness and irritation, i personally think it was from a moisturizer i used not long ago that made my face so red and blotchy, so i decided to get rid of it out of my face and guess what happened.. days passed on and i noticed the redness going away at a slow pace. But however it could be from overdryness, i dont have an opinion on that just yet.

MemberMember
(@harry94)

Posted : 07/03/2016 5:30 pm

Did you manage to find a solution for this? I have quite bad sensitive cheeks too and they're always red!