Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Genius Next Door

The absolute best way to reduce the appearance of comedonal acne and scars overnight

So I had heard of using salicylic acid/BHA for a long time, but I never truly understood its benefits until recently.

I finally decided to make my own aspirin mask, thinking that it would be like most other homemade concoctions and have very few to no benefits, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I combined some crushed aspirin with a little water and some honey, applied it to my face, and left it on overnight.

In the morning, after I washed it off, I found that my blackheads were gone completely, my whiteheads were significantly reduced, and my skin had a nice (almost) glow to it.

This method works better than extractions, pore strips, exfoliation, and active charcoal (formally my favorite) combined.

WHY DIDN'T I EVER THINK OF TRYING THIS BEFORE? :dance:

This method works better than extractions, pore strips, exfoliation, and active charcoal (formally my favorite) combined.

Isn't this some kind of exfoliation as well? Nice to hear, that I worked for you. I'm currently using AHA lotion as an exfoliator. If that doesn't please me I will try your BHA mask. Thanks for sharing!

So I had heard of using salicylic acid/BHA for a long time, but I never truly understood its benefits until recently.

I finally decided to make my own aspirin mask, thinking that it would be like most other homemade concoctions and have very few to no benefits, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I combined some crushed aspirin with a little water and some honey, applied it to my face, and left it on overnight.

In the morning, after I washed it off, I found that my blackheads were gone completely, my whiteheads were significantly reduced, and my skin had a nice (almost) glow to it.

WHY DIDN'T I EVER THINK OF TRYING THIS BEFORE? :dance:

Hm..it seems too good to be true...it makes me try it also but I don't know what to say really- did you had lots of blackheads? For example I have looots of blackheads- on my nose, chin, around my nose and some around my lips and very few on my forehead, some of them are reaaaly deep , so very hard to extract. I also have some whiteheads, but I use Skinoren for those, it seems to work on my whiteheads or ocassional huge, nasty pimples. I suposse you put that mask ONLY on the problem areas and not on the whole face in case of freckles or something else on ur face.Well...I will try it also but over the weekend, in case I have a nasty face the day after, I should stay inside and put camomile and aloe on my face :)))

I have loooots of blackheads too, in all the same places you have them. My pores are also giant. The oil has been reduced dramatically from megadosing on pantothenic acid, but the blackheads are still there.

I do use the mask on the whole face, and I do have several freckles. It will not dry out the skin or turn it red, in fact, you'll notice that your skin seems much more soft and moisturized.

I've used it for two nights in a row so far, and my complexion looks a lot nicer.

It's possible that you won't see as dramatic of a reduction as I did, but you'll inevitably see results. I would suggest doing this for mulitple nights in a row as I did.

I have loooots of blackheads too, in all the same places you have them. My pores are also giant. The oil has been reduced dramatically from megadosing on pantothenic acid, but the blackheads are still there.

I do use the mask on the whole face, and I do have several freckles. It will not dry out the skin or turn it red, in fact, you'll notice that your skin seems much more soft and moisturized.

I've used it for two nights in a row so far, and my complexion looks a lot nicer.

It's possible that you won't see as dramatic of a reduction as I did, but you'll inevitably see results. I would suggest doing this for mulitple nights in a row as I did.

Hey thanks a lot for your answer :) . Well, I've read lots of articles about blackheads, whiteheads , masks, over the counter stuff, bla bla. I am from Romania and usually we use home made things, especially masks :), because they are natural, with no chemicals and I try not to use lots of chemicals on my face. I only have 2 things from Clean&Clear that I use from time to time: Advantage- Quick clear daily treatment wash and the Blackheads Daily Clearing Scrub, I use these only before my period or if I look in the mirror and I don't like my face :wall: . But usually I use natural things :) and as a scrub I started a natural scrub 3 weeks ago, it's a weekly one, cos is very strong, from a romanian company that have natural things and I really noticed results on my face. But, another but, lately I had lots of personal problems and I just didn't pay enough attention to my face, I am sure that If I would continue with the 'natural way' one day my face will be the way I want it or at least clear. The blackheads and whiteheads rule my face :doh: .Oh yeah I also use Skinoren and I noticed that the blackheads come to the surface of the skin, the oil is not that much and the face looks better, I just have to use it everynight cos other wise... Anyway- I tried the sal. acid as a scrub 2 or 3 times and my face was quite nice after that so I will try again. I know honey is veery good for the face, cos is moisturising, antibacterian and so on and sometimes I use it with clay or apple or with oat flakes or yoghurt and my face looks great but most of the blackheads are still there, especially on my chin and on the sides of my nose so I suppose perseverence is the key. Another anyway :shifty: I will try the sal. ac and the honey over the night. If I will have problems the next day, like redness or flakiness I have the cure for that :razz:;) like...cammomile tea, honey, milk or other stuff I have in my kitchen. I will come back with the results. :angel:

I have this problem too (more serious probably), it's effecting me worse than the spots I get around my chin area. I've just started using a product called "Roc renewex microdermabrasion kit" since it's got good reviews on pore size.

I'll give you feedback on how well it works.

Sooooo I tried the mask :), I couldn't keep it on more than 2 hours cos...it was just too sticky and annoying on my face plus I really tried not to have any single hair on my forehead or temples, but the next time I will know better what to do: I will crush the aspirin better and put warm water, wait for 10mins so everything will mix better plus I will do it on a Saturday when usually I clean, wash, do different things and I won't care that I have something on my face and in the evning I will wash my hair so I won't have any problem keeping the mask on my face for a whole day.

Now about the results, well it looks like my skin tone is more even, the pores are bit smaller, some scars are not that big and red, plus I had 3 huge blackheads on my chin and 2 of them I extracted with my fingers easily and 1 got out alone :).

Here's a suggestion:

I've noticed that while honey seems to moisturize the skin, it also seems to bring blackheads and whiteheads to the surface. Although this might help comedones to some extent, it will temporarily make them look worse.

If you want your skin to look free of blackheads immediately, I would suggest just using crushed asprin without the honey. This formula will also be less sticky.

Not to rain on the parade, but all of these efforts are simply "masking" an underlying problem.

As a short-term solution, fine. But shouldn't we be pooling our resources and efforts into *fixing* the internal problem that is causing this mess?

Not to rain on the parade, but all of these efforts are simply "masking" an underlying problem.

As a short-term solution, fine. But shouldn't we be pooling our resources and efforts into *fixing* the internal problem that is causing this mess?

then what's your take on this Cleric.x7?

then what's your take on this Cleric.x7?

I would start by browsing the Nutrition Forum on this site. A lot of the stickied items there have excellent information, many with links to scientific evidence. I don't want to hijack this thread, but here's some information about capsaicin to get you pondering (most important points are bolded):

(taken from pubmed.com)

"Transient receptor potential vanilloid-1 (TRPV1), originally described as a central integrator of nociception, is expressed on human epidermal and hair follicle keratinocytes and is involved in regulation of cell growth and death. In human pilosebaceous units, we had shown that TRPV1 stimulation inhibits hair shaft elongation and matrix keratinocyte proliferation, and induces premature hair follicle regression and keratinocyte apoptosis. In the current study, we have explored the role of TRPV1-mediated signaling in sebaceous gland (SG) biology, using a human sebocyte cell culture model (SZ95 sebocytes). Demonstrating that human skin SG in situ and SZ95 sebocytes in vitro express TRPV1, we show that the prototypic TRPV1 agonist, capsaicin, selectively inhibits basal and arachidonic acid-induced lipid synthesis in a dose-, time-, and extracellular calcium-dependent and a TRPV1-specific manner. Low-dose capsaicin stimulates cellular proliferation via TRPV1, whereas higher concentrations inhibit sebocyte growth and induce cell death independent of TRPV1. Moreover, capsaicin suppresses the expression of genes involved in lipid homeostasis and of selected proinflammatory cytokines. Collectively, these findings support the concept that TRPV1 signaling is a significant, previously unreported player in human sebocyte biology and identify TRPV1 as a promising target in the clinical management of inflammatory SG disorders (for example, acne vulgaris)."

(taken from wikipedia.org)

"Recently, capsaicin is being tested for the prevention of pain post surgery. David Julius, a physiology professor at the University of California, San Francisco, recently discovered that capsaicin selectively binds to a protein known as TRPV1 that resides on the membranes of pain and heat sensing neurons. TRPV1 a heat activated calcium channel, with a threshold to open between 37 and 45 Celsius degrees (37 degrees is normal body temperature). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to lower its opening threshold, thereby opening it at temperatures less than the body's temperature, which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. Prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes presynaptic substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat. Neurons that do not contain TRPV1 are unaffected.[11] This causes extended numbness following surgery, and the patient does not feel pain as the capsaicin is applied under anesthesia.

The result appears to be that the chemical mimics a burning sensation, the nerves are overwhelmed by the influx, and are unable to report pain for an extended period of time. With chronic exposure to capsaicin, neurons are depleted of neurotransmitters and it leads to reduction in sensation of pain and blockade of neurogenic inflammation. If capsaicin is removed, the neurons recover.[citation needed]"

----------------------------------

I feel as though most of the forums here have somehow strayed away from what Dan himself expressed on the front page of this website "to cure acne as we know it." To do that, we need to fix the cause not the symptoms.

--Cleric

Here's a suggestion:

I've noticed that while honey seems to moisturize the skin, it also seems to bring blackheads and whiteheads to the surface. Although this might help comedones to some extent, it will temporarily make them look worse.

If you want your skin to look free of blackheads immediately, I would suggest just using crushed asprin without the honey. This formula will also be less sticky.

You said temporarily so is still a good thing if honey and aspirin will bring things to the surface and after that to be easily to extract and have your skin more or less clean. After I used the mask I noticed my pores were bigger and the blackheads came to the surface and my chin has some white thing coming from the pores so definitly I need a facial but I will try the mask for a week and then go for a facial. Well, in fact I 'perform' the facial at home, cos for me is way to expensive to go for a pro but maybe I will have some money soon... :)

Have made people tried this? My nose is full of blackheads so i am interested in trying an aspirin mask to see if it will help at all.

interesting..I never though aspirin could remove blackheads like this! I have serious blackhead problems, on my nose, area between the brows and cheeks because my skin is extremely oily. So just take any generic aspirin, crush it and add water and apply to affectd areas and leave overnight for a couple of days? I will try that on my nose first. Does panadol count?

This method will not harm the skin in the long run, right?

I'm definitely trying this! I have blackheads on my temples and jawline, and I would try anything to get rid of them.

I crushed two aspirin tablets in a sandwich bag and mixed it with a small amount of water. I applied it to my face.. focusing on my temples, jawline, nose, chin, etc. I'm gonna leave it overnight and I'll post how it works out.

If I don't see any results I may try it for a few nights more.

Thanks for the idea, I'm glad you had success with it! :nod:

I think that the honey is contributing to the moisturized feeling :)

I read somewhere that honey is a natural humectant and that it actually pulls water from the air to help skin retian moisture. So I guess the longer you leave honey on, the more moisturized your skin will feel :D

I did this twice.. is it normal to have those blackheads become like whiteheads sticking out? I tried using nails to scrap it off but they are so stubborn! I don't want to use pore strips again as I think they enlarge my pores overtime...

And is the paste supposed to be very grainy? They aren't smooth like a paste, but more of grainy so they don't cover the skin area completely..

Does baking soda work as well as aspirin masks?