Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramen Bowl

new on accutane...MY LOG!! =]

I have done some reserach and I have a questions:

"INITIAL BREAKOUTS". Hi Im on my first day of accutane medication.

I hear initial breakout is inevitable to almost all accutane users. What do you guys think are the chances that I'll get an intitial breakout if I think pretty much everything has been broken out during the past month before i started accutane? I have like over 12 acnes on my face right now...and I am wondering if MORE can come? :rolleyes:

Also given that I am currently using a good hydrating line of skincare routine, by the company Borghese, and I really love how it improves my skin texture. it is really smooth and poreless and hydrated, its just the ugly acnes and acne scars that are ruining everything. I do not get a lot of oil anymore after changing to my skincare routine. What do you guys think?

Any opinion is WELCOME and greatly APPRECIATED!! <3

THANKS!! ^______^

Lemme introduce myself :)

Hi everyone!! I'm ramen bowl and i'm new here.. o well not exactly new since I've been browsing through this forum for quite a while.. I often come here to look for solutions when i get terrible acnes/scars haha.

I live in Canada and Im a 21 year-old female college student!

I've been bothered by acne for quite a while but was lucky enough that I always found great makeup products to cover the problem..My acnes also come quite seasonally, I'd start to get bad skin around the month of august and all the way till Jan/ Feb. I had been on Minocycline 100mg/day for the past half year and things got a little bit more optimistic.

However,its around that time of the year again, AUG came! I started to get little bumps again on my face regardless of my minocyclne medication.

and things started to get sooo much worse last month...I never really like nuts but out of the blue my parents bought a whole pack of almonds home..I often chill on the sofa and I kept seeing this little pack of almonds hanging around so I took a few bits and they happened to taste better and better so i took a few more...until i finish almost half of the pack in a week. I don't know if it was allergy or what, but HUMONGOUS cystic acne kicked in my CHEEKS!! EW. I looked like i was sick and my family and friends wouldn't stop asking me (in a kind way) if I was alright =.=...it was disastrous even after I realized and stopped eating almonds, more cystic acnes surfaced on my face...especially my hairline and jawline...

:ninja: SO BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN YOU DECIDE TO EAT NUTS! :ninja:

So today's my first day on accutane, my derm, I'm starting with 40 mg per day.

I don't know if this will continue as an accutane log..I'll try my best to keep you people update.

I am kinda nervous and excited at the same time, imagining one day I'll finally get rid of all these painful bumps and go out without MAKEUP!! :):wub:

Hi Ramen :) I am on day 17 of my accutane course, and I have been having an initial breakout. I am on 40 mg too :] My I.B. is not too bad though...I think the severity depends on the condition of your skin when you begin treatment, although it is different for everybody. Keep in mind also that not everybody will get an I.B....I think it seems like a higher percentage based on these forums because the people that get them will be more likely to come post about it! The people that don't get one will probably not even be on here hehe :P

So there is a chance your skin will get worse before it gets better, but just think about how great it will be when you are finished and you have perfect skin :D

Also just so you know, my I.B. started around day 7 or 8 and it seems to be winding down a bit...I haven't had any new cysts for a few days. Hopefully it stays like this :D

Good luck and keep us updated! And you should start a blog :] I have one but nobody reads it haha, but it's good to keep track of your own progress.

Day 2:

a new spot got inflamed on my right cheek, but who knows if its because of the accutane, cuz my breakout before I started the medication was bad enough that I get a new bumnp almost everyday i wake up.

and there's another new spot on my lower left cheek.

Face became VERY oily, despite I had seen good results of oil control with my new skincare routine ..

Took accutane with 1% milk, some sites said it helps with absorption.

Used KOSE hydrating toner mask before bed.

And I was tired as hell but couldn't sleep. couldn't sleep till like 7am ish...but I have volunteering in the afternoon!!!

blaming it on the side effects cuz I am a person who could basically sleep anytime anywhere.

Day 3:

Skin got a little funny, my foundation didnt go on my face as smoothly as it always did, there are flaky patches around my exisiting acne... like i could tell my skin is getting dryer form bottom down but it got sooo oily that i had to blot my face with oil clear sheet 3 times in just 5 hours. I normally only needed to blot with tissue for like once or twice throughout the day after starting to use my oil control makeup.

had make up on for 11 hours....cuz had to volunteer and cram in the library till it was closed=.=

i don't know if I get initial breakout yet, cuz it seems like my existing acnes got dried up and are healing??

DAY FOUR:

pretty much the same as ytd..existing acne drying up, and not as painful

lemme review my skincare routine:

DAY:

LUSH tea tree water

B.P 2.5% to control oil and initial breakout

borghese lotion

SPF 50

Fucidin cream on popped acnes

NIGHT

LUSH tea tree water

Body Shop tea tree oil

borghese hydrating/whitening serum

borghese lotion

Fucidin cream on popped acnes

Day 5...

nothing much changed, except my lips started to chap... bought blistex lip infusion, its soooo gd, after applying for one hr my all chaped lips thats flaking revitalized again, all flakes were gone!!

my cystic acne all SHRUNK in size, the HUGE ones srunk half a size..wow amazing!!... i dont know if it was the accutane that killed it..or was it the fucidin cream that my derm. prescribed!! I heard your not supposed to see results with accutane until later in the course (or untill ur face breaks out terribly).

Before I did some reserach on the fucidin cream i thought it was for wounds, as my derm said i shud put it on popped acnes. but it works so well that my popped acne that bleeded shrunk completely too the next morning, like that area never had acne before. And people on the review page here said u could put it on ur acne too, so i put it on my cystic acnes and they all shrunk a size the next morniing!!! my confidence is back, i could tied up my hair today without worrying that my huge acnes on my chin and jaw will show =]

aww im so stupid, i poked my hair straightener onto my chin by accident 3 days ago, and that area got all red and purple now..damn...

no new breakout yet, yaay!

Day 6:

rest from accutane for the weekend

skin looks good in general, except for the new acne on my right cheek, and the hidden ones on my hairline are still healing in progress

looks like i got 2 new onces near my hairline on my lefft cheeck

skin is not too dry yet, my borghese moisturizer is still good

Day 7:

rest from accutane for the weekend

new tiny zits emerged on my lower right cheek!!!and i picked them... the huge one on my right cheek that got smaller a few days ago, got bigger again =.=

my pimples are healing faster ever since i started accutane and fucidin cream..

the ones that essentially "frame" my jawline and hairline on my left face died down, but i also got like two new cystic acnes...

Day 8:

Same as yesterday....skin is still quite oily, my lips are chapped to the max! T.T almost needa use chapstick every 10 mins..gosh

the cysts and pimples on my hairline on my left face are quite painful....no new acne on my right cheek

one of the old whitehead that has been in the area under my nose for ages started to irritate a bit, and it stings, so i couldnt help picking it... also noticed the little tiny whiteheads that had been on my chin for a while sting... im afraid the initial breakout is on its way T___T

current supplementation:

breakfast/ lunch : zinc 50 mg, Vitamin E 400 IU, Vitamin C 250 mg

Day 9:

got a few new acnes near my hairline and jaw line on my left cheek... could this be the initial breakout? I dunno!

messed up sleeping pattern..but still managed get 8 hrs of beauty sleep. so dont know if this affect my acnes.

acnes purge easily these days. im scared of getting scars...as i heard accutane causes scars...

face not as oily, but still not dry, i wonder if its the accutane working "shut down the oil gland"

Day 10 and 11:

a few new white heads/ acnes formed, mainly on my left cheek, and a new painful one (not huge tho) formed on my right cheek near my hairline..

inflammed (one that hurts) bumps under my lips and two at the left side of my nose

i think the initial breakout has kicked in. unfortunately =[ although i could still cover with makeup...and when i told my frds im breaking out due to new medication they said they cant even tell and were impressed of my makeup skills haha. thanks to guerlain parure extreme =]

added homemade rice water in my skincare routine, applied all over face/ wash face with it day and night, great results!! acnes heal faster and less inflamed, lighter in colour too.

cant wait till the IB is gone!!! i dun think more breakout can happen

DAY 18:

i really think I.B. is officially here..

my left jaw is packed with tons of big,painful cycts, they are painful but glad that they are not very obvious.

im pretty sure that its the IB because I never get blackheads but right now i got blackheads (that are not really black, more like grey/whiteish) all over my nose

also i got a few white heads here and there, not major ones though. 2 new whiteheads on my lower right cheek and i see some hidden ones underneath my skin that might be ready to break out soon T.T gosh

my face is past the oily phrase...it is just right, not dry, not oily.

my scars seems less obvious and acnes are coming up and healing quite fast at the same time, i think its the accutane's power.

vitamin E supplement 400IU is helping a lot with my chapped lips..:)

still getting insomnia from the accutane.. i'd get extremely sleep around 9pm for the past 2 days and not able to sleep yet mentally feeling exhausted in the middle of the night, and i fell asleep at 6am for 2 days...this is crazy

Day 20:

the numerous big cysts on my left and right jawline itched and hurt...

got a few medium size acnes on my face

painful one on the right side of nose...

my chapped lips bleeded when i brushed my teeth this morning =[

low self esteem...dont wanna look at the mirrow when i was walking in the mall.. =[

ca time please fly by.. =[

Hey ramenbowl,

I just wanted to say I know what your going through and It sucks so so bad! I was on accutane a couple years back for cystic acne and boy oh boy what an experience that was. My initial BO was horrible. I remember having to sleep on my back because the cysts hurt so much. I looked like a tomato all the friggin time. I had cracked lips for a while and dear lord that hurts so much! My back always hurt, the lower part. The blood work was a bitch as well. And then my skin would change from oily to dry! so so so frustrating! And like you said your self esteem is low you probably have no self esteem right now..I hope that doesnt sound mean I DO NOT want that to sound mean. I know what your going through and i'm just speaking from personal experience. I hope your initial Bo passes SOON! Just remember its temporary and its going to help you. you'll still have dryness on face/lips but it will get better and just think how nice your skin is gonna look after this is all over!! I know your at your lowest low right now but its not forever i promise you your not going to regret it!

Best wishes,

Dom

Hey Ramen :) I just realized we started on the same day (2/3)!! I'm on 60mg/day though. How's your IB doing now? Mine was and is still somewhat dreadful - it's finally starting to shrink and dry up! Stay positive, it WILL get better :)

Day 24, Feb 25 (Weds)

visited the derm. today and i was advised to upper my does to 40mg for 7 days a week (instead of just 5 days a week).

nothing much new, only new thing is rash on hands,

still suffering from INSOMNIA and ultimately chapped lips. i look like i havent wiped my mouth after eating or sth. or dirt has stuck ontp my lips?!?!

can't fall asleep till the morning and my derm. said i could take the pill during my brunch time

my skin texture actually improved quite a bit, must be the accutane working to renew my skin!!

acnes on my face are hurting less now, just keeping my head up and hoping the I.B. will go away ASAP!!

got some mineral make up (foundation and concealer) at the drugstore after volunteering... although my liquid foundation from guerlain works pretty well and covers up any redness and scars.. i feel like trying something new and natural that wont damage my skin...as skin when someones on accutane is supposed to be the most fragile..lets see physician's formula will do a great job!! as it claims to be "talc-free, natural ingredients, no breakout, most importantly its FORMULATED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN!"

Day 27 (Feb 28, Sat)

why do cysts have to show up on the most visible part of my face=.=

my 2 huge cysts been sitting on my right cheek for weeks now, one for at least 3 weeks and the other one a week so far..they would sting and hurt even without touching..i could feel there's a "war" underneath the skin at those spots...damn

they have been leaking some bloody goo/pus thingy these 2 days, and i kinda squeezed them lightly and they "pop"... i doubt if i'll get a deep scar cause people say u can get scar easily when ur on accutane.. =[

i put loads of fucidin cream on top of the wounds and cover with bandaid...hiding at home for a few a days unless necessary (i.e. midterm exams at school)

hope the I.B will be over in a few days...as people say I.B occurs from week 3-4... im almost into the 2nd month on the drug!

=( 24th day tane user here having I.B too...sigh..5-6 on left cheek and 4 on right cheek. RED AND PAIN AND TEMPTING TO SQUEEZE. but its alrdy that red without squeezing,i tihnki will skip that 'squeeze' part. whats worse is theres a bday dinner later.. oh god. sigh.

Day 37:

WHY DO I HAVE TO SUFFER FROM ACNES.

after getting rid ofthe HUMONGUS zit on my right cheek, THREE HUMONGOUS new zits flared up on my lower left cheek................

i put on my makeup and when i was done, i i figured out i no longer wanted to head out.....

one zit is SO HUGE that i look like im having an infection or skin cancer.

im so angry at myself, my life, my parents, ,why havent they brought me to see the dermatologist when i was younger. All they could say is "everyone gets tons of acne too when they r in their teenage and they will disappear after teenage. I AM 22. and my acnes CANT GET MORE WORSE. they hurt like hell and itch even i dun touch them.

acnes are taking away my skool life, my social life, my grades, my confidence, EVERYTHING.

I am missing my 2nd group meeting of one of my classes becuz of my acnes, i always lie to my grp members that I AM SICK. yes, i am. SICK OF LIFE.

Ramen Bowel! :wavey:

I know how much acne sucks and how it takes over your life and how it drains you of all emotion except hate, but that only lasts so long. When you clear up, that will go away, and you will be happy again. This is just temporary.

You can do it. And whatever frustration you need to vent, do it here. Do my a favor and just smile. ;) OR go watch an entire DVD set of your favorite comedian....watch a good movie (I've got lots of recommendations if you need one), take a walk, talk to someone comforting....and remember that life will be great again. I'm 22 also, and I have hellacious acne as well. I've thought the same thing about wishing I'd been to a dermatologist years ago. But that's not how it happened, and we just have to deal with it now. Come on. I think we can do it. Shall we try?

Hey, anytime. That's what I'm here for. Everywhere we turn, there are people with great skin, and the rest of us have to band together! You know what I've noticed? There are a lot of really interesting people here. And I don't mean "interesting." I mean sincerely interesting. I think we are extra cool people because we have to work a little harder than most others. Everyone has their battles, I guess, but most don't have to wear it on their face. It's tough, but I would recommend not skipping out too much because of acne. I know how painful it is to face people with acne, but when you clear up, you'll be better for it. Plus, and this is going to sound weird, people will respect you for continuing with life as usual. Something I've observed...just do the best you can.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Keep on keepin, RB. :hifive:

Day 43:

still getting a few cysts here and there..and they are stubborn + persistent.. they'd grow either at the same spot or right next to it after popping.. and these days acnes pop/have their pus leaked out reli easily..i wonder if i'll be remained with tons of scars after the accutane treatment =.=

my face is getting a lot of redness now, most of them are huge areas of scars.

in a craze of searching for new make-up in the past week..ordered blemish balm cream (bb cream) from a korean web site yesterday.. hearing that they act as moisturizer+base+foundations and they have healing properties! wow..

and although i know bb cream in general don't provide a heavy coverage that i'd need, i designed a new makeup routine : bb cream + mineral foundation and concealer on top. in other words, using makeups that are claimed to be "gentle" and "nourishing" to your skin.

Will update if they works out nicely on my hypersensitive skin during accutane treatment!!

Day 47 (Week 7):

all of a sudden! things got a whole lot better, there are still 3 huge zits on my face but they are all drying up! The surface of my skin has gotten smoother, and looking hard in the mirror, i dont see tiny bumps (preludes of acnes) that i used to get all over my cheeks anymore. all of them might have been broken out by accutane and thats how accutane works. gets worse before it gets better.

i have a intuition that no more huge zits will come along from this point on!! My acne scars have also gotten lighter in color, that can be due to the accutane or the whitening lotion in my skincare routine. But wow, i also note that even one of my indented scar have gotten a bit shallower... maybe im being too optimisitc haha

im so excited, life suddenly got interesting again, and the temperature keeps rising! i hope a beautiful spring is ahead of me :)

Im so happy for you!

Your pretty much me! Im 21, wishing i had done things earlier. Now i just hope i get accutane..

Keep us updated. Very useful for me..

Hey there, I'm happy to hear your news. I'd like to know what your side effects were (if any) while you were/are on Accutane. My husband has cystic acne and was told this would be his next step. We are very reluctant to try this drug. In the meantime, he is finding GREAT relief with the Regimen and plans to continue this path... but if you can share any side effects re: Accutane, we'd appreciate the FYI. Very best to you!

Hey there, I'm happy to hear your news. I'd like to know what your side effects were (if any) while you were/are on Accutane. My husband has cystic acne and was told this would be his next step. We are very reluctant to try this drug. In the meantime, he is finding GREAT relief with the Regimen and plans to continue this path... but if you can share any side effects re: Accutane, we'd appreciate the FYI. Very best to you!

Hi there:) thanks for your comment.

I don't experience any drastic side effects, only the most common ones, but they were tolerable. I got dry lips ( which can be saved be putting on vaseline or asking for a prescription from the derm), slightly dryer eyes (that i don't even notice),intial breakouts (started from week2~present, hopefully its the end) and rash on my hands(they were quite bad but doesn't really affect my life). My skin is not necessarily very dry, it is just right. It just doesn't get oily anymore. I would say it is totally worth it to get on accutane considering it is a cure for acne in the long run and if you can live with the side effects.

Hope this helps! :D