Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeDuki9

For those with Keloid scars and moles

Hello!! I am new to this forum and have read some posts about keloid scars.

I had some moles on my face removed from my derm. He performed a procedure that may also work for Keloid scars.

He took a fine needle and injected a numbing agent under my moles.

Then he took a sharp razor like instrument and "shaved" off the moles. He "shaved" them to the level of the surrounding skin.

He then "cauterized" the wound by burning it shut.

It was a completely painless procedure and the downtime was about 2 weeks. The places where he cauterized were ugly black patches that had to scab and fall off over a period of two weeks. It amazingly left no scars!! No indents and no discolorization. I think the cost was about $350 to remove 6 moles. ($50 per mole and $50 for the office visit. )

I'm not sure but I think the procedure is called "excision." I think you may also be able to do the same with keloid scars as I have a keloid scar on my shoulder and he asked me if I would like to have it removed as well. However, I did not have it removed as it was not on my face and I was more concered about the moles on my face. I had six moles on my face and I have a LOT of ice pick acne scars. (My keloid scar is very very tiny.)

I hope that this helps someone out there. Please forgive me if this has already been posted on this board. As I stated previously I am new to the board and would like to share any possibilty for those of you suffering out there. I know this procedure definalty works for moles as mine have been gone for over two years! smile.gif

If you have any questions please feel free to respond to this post.

Have a great Day!! biggrin.gif

Hello,

Great post but I just want to clarify what you are calling Keloid scarring vs hypertrophic scarring. They are NOT the same thing.

I have hypertrophic scars which are scars that are raised above the skin surface but remain within the boundaries of the original injury. I do not have keloid scars.

Keloid scarring is raised scarring that extends BEYOND the boundaries of the original sore, blemish or injury. It is scar tissue gone wild. It can continue to grow and grow. Some people are prone to keloid scarring while others are not. If keloid scars are removed, they typically return even larger and more spread out than before.

Just wanted to clarify this because if you have a true keloid scar, and it is small, you may want to leave it alone. If it is a hypertrophic scar, this technique may indeed be very helpful.

Just my humble opinion

Mimi smile.gif

Mimi,

I'm not sure which kind of scar I have on my shoulder. It sounds more like a hypertrophic scar. It is small and perfectly round and raised.I know my derm said that he could indeed remove it and would not come back. I'm so sorry if I gave you any false hope!!! sad.gif

I don't know too much about different types of scaring, however, I am learning. Before I went to my derm I always thought that I would have to live with the moles on my face. I had two on both sides of my nose (made me lok like a witch!) and two on my chin, one on my forehead and one on my cheek. Moles tend to run in my family. sad.gif I was very shy in high school and college because of my moles and scars. Now I have one problem down and one to go! smile.gif

My derm said that he couldn't do anything for my ice pick scars. sad.gif However, I discoverd this board yesterday and am currently considering the TCA method. smile.gif

I apologize to anyone who read this and it gave them false hope!!! If you have true keloid scars then see your derm and ask about it. However, for those of you with moles this does really work!! biggrin.gif

I just want to help share my experience(s) with everyone in the hopes that it will help someone. smile.gif Thank you mimi for correcting me! I just hope that this post didn't upset you or give you any kind of false hope.

No one should have to live with scars and someday hopefully there will be a cure for all types of scarring!

Remember tough times don't last, however, tough people do!

HeDuki9,

Your post was fine and I'm sure it's helpful to others. I am happy for your successful removal of your moles. If your doctor said he could also remove the raised scar, it is most likely hypertrophic and not keloid.

You did not give me false hope. I do not have Keloid scarring. I just wanted to clarify for you and anyone reading this that there is a difference between the two types of scars. Most people use the terms interchangeably because they do not know there is a difference.

Enough said,

take care,

Mimi smile.gif

HeDuki9,

Your post was fine and I'm sure it's helpful to others.  I am happy for your successful removal of your moles.  If your doctor said he could also remove the raised scar, it is most likely hypertrophic and not keloid.

You did not give me false hope.  I do not have Keloid scarring.  I just wanted to clarify for you and anyone reading this that there is a difference between the two types of scars.  Most people use the terms interchangeably because they do not know there is a difference.

Enough said,

take care,

Mimi  smile.gif

Lonleyman,

I'm not too sure I understand your question. When I had excision performed on my moles there was no scar left.

I have a hypertrophic scar on my shoulder. I have never had it removed as it is very tiny and does not bother me. My derm said he could remove it for me using the same procedure. I am assuming here that it would also leave no scar after surgery. I can't say for sure, however, my moles left no scars after he performed excision.

Remember though there is sbout a 2 week downtime with the scabs formed after surgery. Then they turn red and fade to pink then slowley even out to the tone of the rest of your skin. (At least this is what happend to me)

Hope this answered your question smile.gif

mimi - thank you so much for your definitions. I found them so good that I have added them to the FAQ. Thanks! =D>

Maya,

You are very welcome and I am honored!!

This board and especially you, Maya, have given me so much knowlege, support and hope - I am happy if I can be of any help.

Mimi smile.gif

Hi HEDuk,

Thankyou very much for that post. Basically for those of us who have raised scarring we basically have nothing at the moment that works so for you to take the trouble to post something like this is very much appreciated.

Now I am not saying that this will work given the number of things I have already tried but it is definately worth a try and without your post none of us would even be able to consider this so thanks kindly.