Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cloud12

Anyone done pulse dye laser on hypertrophic scar?

Just wondering if anyone has tried a PDL on a hypertrophic or keloid scar. I heard that it can help bring your natural pigment back to the scar, has anyone had any success with ths, and if so, were the results temporary or permanent?

cheers

Yes, I've done it.

I went through 4 treatments of many, many pulsed dye lasers spots on hypertrophic scarring.

It does absolutely nothing for texture, remember that.

As for color, I'd say it helped. The PSD isn't that expensive, so if color is what you're interested in improving, then yes I'd recommend it. The results have been permanent. Mind you that the results are far from a 100% improvement to the original color.

thank you for the reply.

what percent improvement would you say you say in the scar being restored to your natural skin color?

I'll see if I can't dig up any before and after pictures. It's just hard to get good detail in the pictures, but I'll see what I can find.

If I had to guess some didn't improve more than 10% to at all. However, for the most part I'd say it's around 50-70% Which I suppose is pretty good. But there are still many outliers and you have to remember that just because a scar is the same color as the surrounding skin doesn't mean it's not noticeable at a distance. So texture and shadow can affect the color basically. Here's what I think happened:

I had probably 5 large scars, I'd say 2 improved up to 75%. I'd say the other 3 were in the 10% range. As for smaller scars I'd say they more often than not fall in the 50-70% range.

It's effective for colors, larger really red scars, not so much.

What treatments did you use to reduce the raised scare to be level with the surrounding skin?

a series of steroid injections