Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Curko

Is Proactiv Working for my skin or working against it ? Help

Hey guys,

I've been on pro activ since about the start of new year so probably around 4 weeks give or take. Been using it everyday morning night including the step 1, step 2, step 3 not skipping any steps. Would you say the acne is working for me or against me... Because the marks on my forehead seem to have clustered and haven't dissipated for like 2 months and they're very tempting to squeeze due to all the pus and crap.

So what do you think ? I think pro activ is screwing my hands up as well maybe it's too strong for my skin and i need to try something else?

My Skin didn't start peeling on my hands until about a week ago so I'm kind of worried i have noticed acne clearing but i really want this crap gone off my face. What's the typical hormonal period that you break out im about 15 and 4 months so I've been told it's all the hormones and crap...

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5626/02022009258vb3.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1378/02022009265qf2.jpg

I'm currently using Proactiv Solution. There are many pros and cons. I'm pretty much clear, but I've been using Dan's AHA+ (glycolic acid) and I think that made me clear.

I recently ordered Dan's cleanser and benzoyl peroxide treatment. It's much more gentle on your face, plus it's way cheaper! It should be coming in the mail soon. Can't wait! Proactiv's cleanser is too harsh for many people.

That's good that you are not skipping any steps. I think Proactiv will work if you use all 3 steps twice a day. But you should also add in another product, like using glycolic acid at night.

As far as your hands, that's not good. Do you wash your hands very well after using the benzoyl peroxide treatment?

Well i don't recall touching anything else that could of caused that reaction so i am assuming pro activ has weakened my skin... yeh i do wash my hands. The only thing that has me going against dans regime is its so expensive to get it shipped to AUS with the us dollar be at 61 cents per aus dollar i just don't have the money to fork out on a product that i am not sure will even work..

Hmmm...then I don't know what to tell you :(

Proactiv doesn't do that to my hands. Have you been putting a good hand lotion on to moisturize? I know if I wash my hands too often my skin becomes really dry, so a good-quality hand lotion helps.

to me,

your skin looks quite red around the inflamed places which is more than likely the pro active doing that.

i would recommend you stop it, because once you start irritating and drying your skin out you are more prone to breaking out.

and pro active SHOULD NOT do that to your hands, holy..

to me,

your skin looks quite red around the inflamed places which is more than likely the pro active doing that.

i would recommend you stop it, because once you start irritating and drying your skin out you are more prone to breaking out.

and pro active SHOULD NOT do that to your hands, holy..

this is how i exactly use pro activ and it works:

wash your face with the wash. once you rinsed your face let your face dry. Then use the toner on a cotton pad....once your done with that let yur face dry again after a minute or two then I put a crap load of the repairing lotion on your face. I get in front of a fan and let it dry for 10 mins....after that I put a crap load of moisturizer on my face. let that absorb in for about 20 mins then i wipe my face with a clean dry towel so my face doesnt look greasy.

this is all i do and it works.

hope this help

Think i've had enough of pro activ im giving it a few more weeks then seeing a dermatologist enough is enough. Wonder what the derm will suggest

well all dermatologists are the same. they will prescribe you a wash usually and a cream or ointment to use. Usually they either dry out your face too much or they sometimes will just never work. You will then have to moisture your face ALOT. Really the only thing you will want from the derm doctor is a antibiotic. Those reallllly help out. Just takes time. Just get a good cleaner and use dans regimen. Or ask for clindamycin topical pads. Those work reallllllly well.

Yeh hewitt i would use dan's regime but it's nearly $100 shipped to my house which is a bit pricey seeming i don't know what effects it will have on my skin.

Hey guys,

I've been on pro activ since about the start of new year so probably around 4 weeks give or take. Been using it everyday morning night including the step 1, step 2, step 3 not skipping any steps. Would you say the acne is working for me or against me... Because the marks on my forehead seem to have clustered and haven't dissipated for like 2 months and they're very tempting to squeeze due to all the pus and crap.

So what do you think ? I think pro activ is screwing my hands up as well maybe it's too strong for my skin and i need to try something else?

My Skin didn't start peeling on my hands until about a week ago so I'm kind of worried i have noticed acne clearing but i really want this crap gone off my face. What's the typical hormonal period that you break out im about 15 and 4 months so I've been told it's all the hormones and crap...

I would stop using proactiv immediately! you might be getting some type of allergic reaction. Proactive definitely worsened my skin. It completely dried out my face, red, irritated and extremely itchy. I would say the only decent product they have would be the toner because it picks up dirt very well but thats about it. Maybe you should look into using some natural products like a tea tree oil blemish stick, which heals blemishes fast. Do a mask treatment once a week helps a lot also, something like a clay mask, i recommend mint julep mask you can find at a drug store such as cvs pharamacy. Maybe use tea tree oil face wash will help tone down the redness and inflammation.

Dude stop proactive now

I used it for a year and never had those hands

see a derm straight away,you wont even have to wait,just say your having a bad reaction and they will squeeze you in

Yeh i've tried tea tree oil but it made my skin red as and it's dam expensive as well. Well for the Nutrimetics range I'm looking at over $100AUD so not really cheap for something that i have had touch and go results with...

Mind you if it was proactiv then wouldn't i have had an allergic reaction earlier?

Hey guys,

hey man i used proactiv too when i was about your age and the same thing happened too me with the hands as for the face part my acne did clear up but within a few weeks the acne came back bigger and even worser. and i never had cystic acne until proactiv and when my brother stopped using it it made his outbreaks come back even worse so be careful with proactive and if u do decide to continue using it moisterize after step 3 has dried and good luck.

Hmm what to do.. i might stick with pro activ for another month and see how it pans out. Last time i used the nutrimetics range my skin was inflammed with the tea tree oil stuff and worse!. Wonder if the derm would prescribe me with a good antibiotic that will kill this stupid pus

wow, where do i even begin... pro activ is nasty shit, i tried it for like a month before and it seemed to clear my acne a bit, but also made my skin tight and dry... mate, i couldnt even open my mouth to eat cos it was THAT dry.. also with ur hands, i never had that problem myself but i know for a fact that pro activ contains some nasty chemicals. Seriously, if u think about it, that shit cant be good for ur face, cos it ends up bleaching the towels u use to dry ur hands AFTER u've already washed them... so wtf is it doing to ur face?

well, u say that the bumps on ur forehead are 2 months old? lol... well all i can say is that pro activ isnt the solution for u, since after 1 month u should start seeing obvious results. I say drop the pro activ, refund it to get ur money back, and get something thats more gentle and natural. Dont believe the ads, they are designed to draw in consumers.

Determine ur skin type and find the products that are right for ur skin.

I'm going to see a derm and i may try a tea tree oil cleanser and some moisturiser depending on what the derm suggests i do. Because two of my mates got put on accutane but i think i will get something a lot less concentrated

holy shit! quit the proactiv! it's terrible anyway. try mario badescu. with the amount of acne you have, i think it will prob. clear you completely. www.mariobadescu.com. their products are greattt. i used to be using other products of theirs, but these are my FAVORITE:

enzyme cleansing gel

seaweed cleansing lotion

collagen/oil-free moisturizer (spf-15/17) ; right now i'm using collagen which i like but i'm thinking about switching to oil-free

drying mask

yeppp(:

*and mb won't kill yer hands. lol.

mb sounds good but when converted to AUS its over $200 shipped i don't have that sort of money.

To be honest, I found proactiv BP cleanser quite effective.. However, I have stopped using BP repair lotion and the toner.

I have quit using Dan's Regimen after a month since it was giving me horrible results.

I'd give it a couple more weeks..that's weird that it did that to your hands though...oh and also your cute enough to get away with having acne...so don't worry about it.

Well i gave up the proactiv after my skin got worse and saw my GP

He prescribed me the following

DoryX Cap 50mg

Eryacne 2% 30grams

Skin is slowly starting to heal and it's the first week so i still have a while... thanks for the comment sunshine95 :wavey: