Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wop

I'm sorry but i had to take a stand

I'm tired of people posting stuff about how depressed they are only to get a heart warming, comforting response by so many people. IF YOUR DEPRESSED OR BUMMED:

1. Get off prescription meds and other drugs.

People have told me I need anti-depressants. I've got alot of fucked up stuff in my life, and the fact that i'm young and have to go thru this just compounds the situation. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. The human brain is too complex for a little pill to tell it how to function. All my friends have been on these types of dopamin something or another, and they've went down the drain. My freind easily could have gotten valedictorian, ever since he's been on seroquel and zoloft, he never goes to school, tries to kill himself for attention on a regular basis, and sleeps all day and night. My other friend followed the exact same story, expect he calls me all day bitching about how bad his life sucks. Then i tell him to quit being a pussy and call somebody who gives a damn. He shuts up real quick.

2. Quit feeling sorry for yourself.

DO NOT tell me i don't have as bad of life as yours either. Quit moaning and crying about your acne. It's sucks. I know, but don't go posting about how your Friday night of drinking and sex was ruined because of acne. This website should be about helping people find ways to overcome, and little e-hugs aren't the way to combat the situation. Take a stand. Get the hell up and do something about it, or at least do something with your life that makes you happy. Go help the mentally ill, volunteer, at least find someone that dosen't care about damn bumps on your face. Take some damn risks. You know that girl or guy that you've been holding back talking to because of acne? Go ask for that number. It's time for a revolution or something. The people on this site need to stand up. All that suffering we've been through is for a reason. The strong survive, and if you've made it this far with all this shit on your face, then you can tackle just about anything.

3. Tough Love

I've been warned and banned once because i said "Suicide is for pussies" It is. The strong survive, the weak don't. If your to big of a little bitch to go thru suffering, then you are weak. The world could use one less person, and if you're not willing to make the best of your life, then why live at all? Nice, comforting, hopeful reponses to peoples whiney post about their life and acne isnt going to solve anything. Tough love will. Quit being so damn emo. My language might be offending to some, but this isn't a nice little fairy tale world, were everybody has clear skin and a bueatiful complexion. This is life. It's time to be tough and not let anything get you down. Revolution. The day that we all wake up and look in the mirror, no matter how bad of a break out you've got and just say "I'm ready to suck the days dick!" is the world i one day long for. Revolution is what we need. You think all otc, prescription meds, and vitamins are going to cure your pain? Lol. The only way to cure the pain is you.

Life is your only right.

I'll probably get warned/banned for this.

But if i change one persons outlook on life It'll be totally fucking worth it.

Haha, yeah, you are right. I have had experienced much more horrible things in my life than just this acne. I'm no better myself though, I sometimes use this acne as an excuse for not taking so much action.

To tell you the truth, you're pretty much right. I was so close to not going out tonight because of my cheek covered with picked pimples and scabs. I gave it some thought and said the HELL with this.. I'm going to go and have fun and not stay home alone and feel sorry for myself. So, I went, and I'm so glad. Staying home would've felt like acne defeated me or something. Well, I'm not going to let it. And neither should you!! Screw what people say/think.

I'm so sick of all the depressing threads that I decided not to visit this sub-forum anymore, but boy, I couldn't resist coming here and posting in this awesome thread.

You are totally spot-on. People need to stop whining and obsessing about their acne and GET A LIFE.

The only way to cure the pain is you.

Everyone deserves the right to be heard. That's why members come to this board. Acne takes so much from you. Give, give, and give. That's all we ever do. This thread will not stop the hundreds of depressing threads you come across. Writing out feelings allows certain members to relieve themselves of stress. I don't have too many people in real life I can communicate to, and I think that is the case with the other members that frequent this sub-forum. We provide support. We're a community that can relate on one specific level: How acne affects our lives, and how we can get better. And these heartwarming responses that you feel are contrived actually serve a purpose. Can we make a post and ask if someone feels the same way?

1) I've taken an anti-depressant when I was younger. Didn't notice a difference with my emotions, and it was my father's idea to put me on Lexapro. "A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug". Would you agree with that? I've had a troubled life too. High school was hell. Two years ago was hell. I didn't have this board to help, so I wrote in a journal with my music on and attempted to heal with that method. Acne didn't kill me, so yes it did make me stronger. So you had it with your friends bitching to you about how their lives suck? That's okay. You've done all you could with those people. They will ultimately have to conquer their insecurities, but did you ever think that you've provided them with an enormous amount of support? Could those days you spent listening to their problems have helped them?

2) I won't tell you anything. The crying and moaning you speak of, sorry but you could skip over those posts, and leave it to others to give it a shot. Tough love doesn't work for everyone. We are all different, and need different approaches to help us. Sorry again, but what the fuck do you think I've been doing? I'm not patting anyone on the head and giving them an e-hug. The members here put a great amount of thought in their posts, and we're all trying to help each other overcome. How come we can't co-exist? Why can't we just let each other be? I'll do things my way, and you can do things your way.

YES, a revolution! We do need to stand and fight, but some of the members aren't ready. But they will be. You can't wait, I understand. You need to start your revolution and conquer. The others will find the strength to overcome one day, I'm confident in that. The peeople who have posted in this thread are only following you because they agree with you. So take them with you, and leave the rest of us behind. Don't post in our forum. Leave the work to us. We will start our own revolution.

3) Go tell every victim's family members who committed suicide that their son, daughter, mother, father, or whomever that the person whom they loved to death is a pussy. Look them in the eye and say what you feel. This isn't fairy tale shit, right? Give them that tough love. What might be bearable to you, may not be bearable to someone else. And you're nobody to judge that person. Talking to someone who cares relives a lot of the pain and pressure. Keep on telling us to ignore our feelings that we are dying to share, and we can all keep them trapped inside our bodies. Let it eat us up, and we can follow your vague advice "The only way to cure the pain is you". That isn't much more helpful than an e-hug. It is helpful to the people that already understood the message, but not to the ones who need further assistance.

The last part of 3) is where I agree. Topicals, antibiotics, and over the counter packages will not help us cure the pain we feel. It may clear our problem on the outside, and once that happens, it masks the real problems on the inside. Then we get another severe breakout, and we go through the same routine, asking ourselves what we need to do to get better. All the while, our soul is asking for some attention. And we ignore it. I agree with that part of your post completely.

And good for you. You've inspired more than one person to follow you. I like the realness, but some members aren't ready to hear what you have to say. Why don't you allow a different perspective to enter. There isn't one direct way to solve all of our problems. You can't save everyone. Leave that to the rest of us.

To the other member that is also sick and tired of these um, depressing posts and threads, I have a pretty simple solution (I know, I know. You HAD to say something. It was killing you inside, you needed to be heard. You needed to release these feelings or else you would have gone crazy (sound familiar?) Don't visit the emo/psychological forum anymore. Go to the lounge and post in the what song you're listening to thread. Post a picture of your pet, talk about what books you've read, share what you just ate, and visit the chat, and be with the strong people who don't need this forum. Ignore the emo forum and walk away forever. You don't ever have to visit again. Message received. I have a life, and I will chose to live it however I want. If I want to spend my time sharing ways to overcome, and listening to another members problems, then let me. Call it a pathetic life, I really don't give a shit. Most of the people that visit this part of acne.org genuinely care about each other.

I agree with you 100%, except for the part about suicide is for pussies. Your language didnt offend me, it was very refreshing to read the initial post.

I like what you're saying here. But its one thing to say it, and another to do it. Some people are "weaker" as you would say, then others.

Some things can't be overcome by sheer get-up-and-go...

For the most part, though:

Viva la revolucion!

I have bad acne, and I dont give a flying fuck. i sing, i dance, i party like a white boy!

There was a time when i would agree with this post. In fact, i probably still do.

However, i think if you think this, then it is best just to bite your lip and not say anything. People here are very fragile in the head and this just doesn't help.

Nah, some people with negative outlook in life sometimes needs to be smacked in the face with things like this thread to wake up!

Let's keep this up for people to see and realize.

While I agree with you on a lot of things, it is still hard to face the day sometimes when you have acne. or any kind of problem, be it personal or social. Recently I went through a time with my hubby and it made me think that my skin is just not the only thing in my world to get upset about. All are different and it takes a lot of brass to say I don't care what others think because I do care just not as much. There is a song by christina aguileria called "Fighter" corny I know but it helps me. Some people need meds to help them, some don't, and maybe some just are put on them to appease them. All are different and I will probably get upset about my skin and want to hide but I am reminded about all the things I have gone through, all my loved ones have gone through and I am grateful to still be who and what I am. Sorry if I sound off today I am just out of sorts right now. And talking about your problems to people who don't know you on this site can help a lot, just knowing that you are not alone is great too. Elf

The only way to cure the pain is you.

Everyone needs to read this 1000 times.

This thread needs to be stickied.

I second that.

I mean his post IS very refreshing and new, but I also agree that this place is for people who want someone to hear them out. They are insecure about themselves and this is the only place they can vent and be themselves. You can't just tell them, "Oh f*ck off. You guys are a bunch of whiners." Some people can deal with acne and others can't. YOU can be whatever and go on with your life like it's whatever, but others just can't do that.

Obviously to some people, they think it's stupid that people would even think of committing suicide because of acne. But you've got to hear the WHOLE STORY. My friend attempted suicide because of acne. People subconsciously just stop listening there and start saying, "How stupid." But...she did it because everyday her dad told her she's as ugly as a donkey's ass and that no one's going to love her because she looks so disfigured. Everytime her mom's friends came over, they would pity her so much that her mom became ashamed and told her to stay in her room whenever her friends came to visit. Her own "friends" whispered behind her back or told her she needs to try this or that product. A guy actually laughed at her when she attempted to ask him out, saying, "Sorry, I don't want to catch your disease." Okay, if you're a total introvert and don't give a sh*t about others, fine. It wouldn't affect you. But she's sensitive and all this embarrassment and pain built up...she just couldn't handle it anymore. So don't talk about suicide for weaklings. If it seemed like the whole world turned on you, I highly doubt you'd be strong enough to keep on living. No friends, no family, no gf/bf, no one.

So yes. People should at least ATTEMPT...SEVERAL times to just go out and and try to have fun and not let acne get in the way. You've got to TRY. And people on this site shouldn't just say, "Aw, everything is going to be alright" or "Here's a hug." That's not help. Help means advice. Give suggestions to the person on what he/she can do to feel better. Saying all this "I <3 you. It'll be okay" mumbo jumbo is not going to help them change.

Here here!! It annoys me when people say acne has ruined their life. Its the fact that you let acne ruin your life which is the problem. Ive got severe acne and im loving it!!!! :cool: Seriously people you live once.... do you really want it ruined by some tiny imperfections? i know i dont!!

This post is for anyone else who found wop's post marginally or very offensive. Wop fails to acknowledge that many suicidal individuals are mentally ill. Acne can cause psychological conditions to arise, and the cessation of acne will undoubtedly alleviate the sufferer's mind, and be an effective cure. However, I know that acne and other similar skin diseases are often resistant to medicine, and for many there is no known, foolproof cure, and so the suffering continues.

For wop to post such a dismissive message on this forum, a place where acne sufferers and sufferers of other skin diseases like to post, demonstrates some conflict within his or her personality. Wop most likely came here for support (I can't think of any other reason for people to come to this website). Yet in doing so, wop has found the support being given and received by fellow acne sufferers offensive. Those who feel suicidal have an outlet here, where they are able to communicate their feelings to people they hope would not judge them. Those who seem to act as 'Wop apologists' will miss the point I am trying to make, but I hope they do not. Unless wop, or any of wop's apologists have any experience or understanding of mental illness, and can cite relevant medical evidence supporting wop's view, then they should refrain from posting medically inaccurate information. Wop's view is that:

'The strong survive, the weak don't. If your to big of a little bitch to go thru suffering, then you are weak. The world could use one less person, and if you're not willing to make the best of your life, then why live at all? Nice, comforting, hopeful reponses to peoples whiney post about their life and acne isnt going to solve anything. Tough love will. Quit being so damn emo.' (I left the spelling and grammatical errors intact - take from that what you will).

No one can support this statement with scientific evidence. Such nonsense would not exist in the medical field, where peer-reviewed journals are scrutinised by those with expert knowledge. I have access to medical journals, but I refuse to enter into a debate regarding my credentials. However, from such sources, I can provide evidence that:

* Acne can cause severe psychological trauma, which in some cases matches or exceeds that suffered by people with a terminal illness.

* Psychological conditions typical to acne sufferers, such as depression and low self-esteem, WILL NOT, be cured by 'tough love'. There is not one serious practitioner of cognitive behavioural therapy who would conduct 'tough love' on patients. (I understand 'tough love' in this context to mean a complete disregard for a person's emotional health and sensitivity to psychological harm.)

I find wop has engaged in a bit of intellectual cowardice, being offended by people's feelings is quite strange, if wop has no regard for them in the first place, then why be so concerned by them? I feel wop is as sensitive as the rest of us, perhaps even more sensitive, otherwise wop would not have posted in the first place. Wop, I hope you are brave enough to discuss the cause of your anger with someone.

On a final note, to those who feel that sensitivity and masculinity are mutually exclusive, then I fear you are confused about your own masculinity, hence your inability to understand that other men, like me, are brave enough to acknowledge and express our feelings, without the destructive need to hide behind a macho image. Men are meant to (by virtue of our biology) have profound feelings, just like women, our inability to cope with them does not diminish our inherent masculinity. Suicide is one of the leading causes of death amongst young men in Britain. I wager it is not so different elsewhere in the world. Perhaps you should consider that the traditional approach adopted by a male dominated society, of bigotry, inequality, suppression of emotions, and a reverence for violence, has left my generation of men confused (e.g. wop).

Best wishes,

Me.

^^^^ thank you for that post ... it was excellent in every way.

I hope people will read it and think hard before jumping on wop's bandwagon to bash people who are suffering.

Skindisease's post is spot on.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Big deal if someone wants to vent? OP you act like you've never had a shitty day. Get over yourself.

Skindisease's post is spot on.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Big deal if someone wants to vent? OP you act like you've never had a shitty day. Get over yourself.

No, I believe the OP went the same way all of us did. He got all depressed with his acne too just like the most of us but then he was able to realize how crap it is to just be depressed because of acne which is in reality is not much of importance at all! And now, what I see that he is trying to do is to make other people who were once like him(depressed) in the past to realize what he just realized too. It's pretty heart-aching you know, to see people get hooked up on something that you have overcome and see them still suffering.

I went through the very same path, my only difference to wop is that I didn't got the idea of posting such since I am not that active in this sub forum in the past. ;)

I know comforting is good, but if you keep them in comfort and don't let them go out there face their problems then they'll never get over it.

Let's keep this a healthy discussion everyone! Say what you want to say from the bottom of your heart!

Some people just need an outlet and let out their feelings.

I know that I tend to bottle things up inside - but if I would vent anywhere, it would be here. I can't talk about it with anyone else because no ones understands.

Besides, this is the emo section. I think we can act a little emotional here..?

=o

Imo these threads arent to moan there to relieve emotion that has been building up, helps to get them out - and we are here to help people and give them courage don't be so cynical, some people are not that emotionally strong.

I think there are different versions of support. I personally did not come here to get a shoulder to cry on. While acne does affect me emotionally sometimes, it's usually something I just get over after a day or so on my own. It's about a mindset and to be in control of ones thoughts. The reason I did come here is to aquire information and learn from different experiences on TREATING acne. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but nobody TRULY cares about anybody on this board like family or good friends. Were all avatars and typed text to each other. So to come here for something much more than info is slightly delutional.

If you need really good inspirational advice and reprograming, listen to Tony Robbins or something. I believe in the ole' kick in the pants once in a while, not the marshmellow crap that the shrinks in society these days shove down our throats.

The argument above is not valid either. Back in the days when man was a hunter, he had to brutally kill animals for food and other men to protect their families. Women cooked, cleaned and took care of the children and needed the nurturing qualities. This is why men have more testosterone and women have more estrogen. It's only modern day society that has attempted to alter these pre-programmed traits.

Ill end with the famous noun that comedian George Carlin made famous.

pussification

pussification(noun): the state in which a society becomes less and less tough.

I think there are different versions of support. I personally did not come here to get a shoulder to cry on. While acne does affect me emotionally sometimes, it's usually something I just get over after a day or so on my own. It's about a mindset and to be in control of ones thoughts. The reason I did come here is to aquire information and learn from different experiences on TREATING acne. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but nobody TRULY cares about anybody on this board like family or good friends. Were all avatars and typed text to each other. So to come here for something much more than info is slightly delutional.

If you need really good inspirational advice and reprograming, listen to Tony Robbins or something. I believe in the ole' kick in the pants once in a while, not the marshmellow crap that the shrinks in society these days shove down our throats.

The argument above is not valid either. Back in the days when man was a hunter, he had to brutally kill animals for food and other men to protect their families. Women cooked, cleaned and took care of the children and needed the nurturing qualities. This is why men have more testosterone and women have more estrogen. It's only modern day society that has attempted to alter these pre-programmed traits.

Ill end with the famous noun that comedian George Carlin made famous.

pussification

pussification(noun): the state in which a society becomes less and less tough.

I agree that there are several manifestations of support, information being the one I came here for too - initially. However, there is an abundance of emotional support here, simply reading about other people's experiences can be helpful. Engaging other forum users about their personal struggle with acne can be even more helpful, and what would be even more helpful to me, was knowing that this was a place I could share my acne-related story too, without fear of needless criticism (such as wop's post).

Are you really recommending Tony Robbins as a form of therapy to individuals who are suffering from acne and possibly one or more mental illnesses? Tony Robbins is not a scientist, so I need not say any more about him. The medical profession does not attempt to shove 'marshmellow crap...down our throats', especially considering the majority of mental health services are voluntary. Patients have the right to self-determination in Britain, and in many Western countries.

To call psychology and psychiatry 'crap', demonstrates your ignorance of the scientific method (i.e. medicine is based on observable facts gleaned from medical research). The 'crap' mental health professionals use to treat their patients with is science. I do not need to defend science, it can defend itself - it is fact after all, until contrary evidence is discovered.

Quoting a comedian (twice - once in another post) may serve to reassure you of the validity of your point of view, but George Carlin's observations were not based on his long, arduous career in the social sciences...but rather, from cracking jokes on stage - need I say more?

To conclude then, if you believe that society has suddenly been sprung upon us, despite our 'pre-programmed traits', and we are now being 'pussified' as a result, have you tried considering that the origins of society rests in our minds and the minds of our ancestors? It is a fact that humans have evolved to think, and to develop larger brains than our ancestors. It is by thought alone we enjoy the great technological advances we have today. Brutally killing animals is not a pasttime men (and women) have abandoned it seems, yet we still have time to create societies and develop industry, science and social skills in abundance.

Your post seems to imply that you would like humanity to put down its modern tools and return to the social conditions of our ancestors. Even if that is not the case, you seem to be advocating some kind of reverse in evolution - which is strange, considering that the reason we are both alive, is because of our ancestors, and their ability to think, adapt and employ new methods of dealing with their environment and each other. Repeatedly murdering each other over food, territory and women, would have resulted in very little intelligent evolution indeed, but for the few of us who spent our time pondering our thoughts, feelings and ideas - which undoubtedly included women.

Modern day altruism is arguably a result of our heritage, as argued by the wonderful field of evolutionary psychology. Such a desirable trait was sought by our ancestors in prospective mates, and so it goes today. Sensitivity and compassion are biological traits, not ones caused by modern society, please take note of that. You may feel that nobody on this forum is sincere in their apparent concern for your welfare, and it seems you are basing your feeling on the fact that we are indeed avatars and text. That argument is invalid - whilst there is less of an emotional risk when engaging people anonymously, online, and the risk of insincerity is greater, it does not rule out sincerity's existence at all. Conversely, when one primarily engages with people face-to-face, the possibility of insincerity is still extant.

This is not the place for arguing anyway, because it seems that some of us like to base our points on evidence, and others on personal anecdotes. I shall go back to reading posts and offer emotional support where I can - to people who are struggling with acne and want someone to talk to. So to those who disagree with me, please continue to believe that wop has a valid point to make about mental illness and acne (based on what seems to be anger alone), and that djfunz has a valid point to make about masculinity being a precursor to human evolution and citing comedians and money-driven self-help 'gurus' as references.

Good night.