Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gumdrop1111

Is acne a life-long sentencing?

So.. is acne a 'forever' thing for girls like me.. or anyone, for that matter?

It all started when I hit puberty, it let up about a year ago to where I had beautiful skin for the first time in eight years, and now that I've hit 20 years old my acne is back with a vengeance.

To some people, acne is acne.. and they live with it. But I guess for those of us here at acne.org, acne is more than just acne.. it's affecting our lives so negatively. For me, acne is a daily physical and emotional battle. I struggle sitting next to classmates for fear of them turning and talking to me.. and noticing my scars and loud, angry pimples. I shy away from social activities. I want so much to be 'free' of this.. so much that I've paid the $$ to seen a derm about 2.5 weeks ago.

He put me on the following routine:

Morning - Cetaphil wash, Klaron (Sulfur) lotion, and a prescription sunblock

Evening- Cetpahil wash, Differin Creme, theraplex moisturizer, Solodyn (antibiotic)

Yes, I'm having that initial breakout.. and its rather horrible being I'm so fair-skinned.

BUT. This is my problem... I don't want to be dependent on some stupid topical the rest of my life.. I mean, I can't be dependent on it the rest of my life. I know at some point I'll want to have children. So, I'll have to stop the topicals.. and this will probably lead to a bad rush of horrible breakouts.. right?.. So.. is this whole derm routine just useless in the long run? IS acne going to be in my life forever?..

In my teens, I comforted myself by believing that my acne was normal. It was the teen thing and when I'd be more towards my twenties my acne would fade out of my life. Wrong. Am I just being impractical? Is it too soon for me to give up hope? Has this nightmare ever truly ended for anyone? :ermm:

-sigh-

maybe, if you wouldn't let it be such a huge part of your life it wouldn't matter. some people think acne is unattractive some people don't. at least you don't have aids or are pregnant. when i see somebody else with acne i'm not like "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! GROSSSSSSS!" i'm like "what's up". if somebody thinks your acne is THAT bad, fuck 'em. live your damn life. damn. i could sit here and right you a heart warming article, but quit being so damn negative and just say fuck it.

Maybe it's right what wop says about just letting go, but we all know that it's easier said than done. I've gone through many ups and downs in the past years too and acne has always affected my personal state of mind. I can't help it like you can't either. That's normal.

But I can reassure you that acne will pass by some day and you will be able to live a normal life without any medications. My derm told me that I probably have to deal with acne till the mid twenties. Then the problem will fix on its own. However that sounds horrible to a teenager, it may give us some hope in the long run. In the meantime we can just try to find a regimen that keeps us clear. Fortunately for most people there is a cure. I Hope you will find yours very quickly. Btw, what your derm prescribed you sounds promising to me. Wish you good luck!

maybe, if you wouldn't let it be such a huge part of your life it wouldn't matter. some people think acne is unattractive some people don't. at least you don't have aids or are pregnant. when i see somebody else with acne i'm not like "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! GROSSSSSSS!" i'm like "what's up". if somebody thinks your acne is THAT bad, fuck 'em. live your damn life. damn. i could sit here and right you a heart warming article, but quit being so damn negative and just say fuck it.

Damn right if someone dont like you for who you are fuck em and get on with your life.

Maybe it's right what wop says about just letting go, but we all know that it's easier said than done. I've gone through many ups and downs in the past years too and acne has always affected my personal state of mind. I can't help it like you can't either. That's normal.

But I can reassure you that acne will pass by some day and you will be able to live a normal life without any medications. My derm told me that I probably have to deal with acne till the mid twenties. Then the problem will fix on its own. However that sounds horrible to a teenager, it may give us some hope in the long run. In the meantime we can just try to find a regimen that keeps us clear. Fortunately for most people there is a cure. I Hope you will find yours very quickly. Btw, what your derm prescribed you sounds promising to me. Wish you good luck!

Thank you so very much. You've lifted my spirits, truly. :blush:

i know EXACTLY how you feel. im 21 and have had acne since i was a little kid!!! last summer i finally had enough and couldnt stand the thought of living with acne for the rest of my life since i obviously wasnt growing out of it. i started accutane in october and cleared up completely in december. i couldnt be happier!! life without acne is just as wonderful as i imagined it. i have only had a few small pimples in the last 2 months. but dont give up!!! i was ready to throw in the towel when i decided to try accutane. my only regret is that i didnt go on it sooner. i only have a little over 2 weeks left on the treatment, so i have no idea what will happen when i stop. but either way, i have had 2-3 AMAZING months of clear skin! hang in there!!

Active severe acne is NOT a 'forever' thing if you take accutane. After 3 doses for months inbetween a few years each time I do not have new acne. Tons of hideous scars though. I should have started accutane at the first signs of severe acne.