Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny J

So I just traveled Southeast Asia for a few months...

... And it was GREAT!

To give a brief background, I'm 22 and I suffered from severe acne from 13 to 20 and moderate acne till 22. Ironically, I've cleared down to a mild condition... Since I've been back. Good timing, huh?

I was lucky enough to maintain a very large social network through high school and even a couple of girlfriends despite having severe acne and I put this down to ensuring I always had a positive, welcoming attitude and a love to laugh, whether at myself or by making funnies. Despite this, I had (have) ridiculously low self-esteem but no one knew it. I was the loud, party-animal through high school to compensate and only my true friends knew what was going on in my head.

Long story short; I felt acne holding me back in so many ways.

Last year, I just decided: fuck it! and bought a plane ticket to Vietnam. I ended up traveling through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Taiwan... It was the greatest few months of my life. Met many, many cool people, saw beautiful country-sides and experienced a completely different culture and walk of life. My skin was still bad but I didn't let it hold me back and I ended up hooking with a 'fair share' of women from many western countries and heard all their stories. It was just so much fun.

I just thought I'd share this experience and urge ANYONE who is hiding themself away or intimidated by the state of their skin to just get out there and live a crazy adventure for a few months. After the first week, it's not even difficult anymore. The truth of it is; nobody cares about the state of your skin.

In all my travels, I was hit one time with a line about my acne. I was in a pub in Thailand sitting with a group of girls I had traveled from Cambodia with and a lad was trying to tune one of the girls. He heard I was from Australia and replied, "Yeah, I hear in Australia you guys have really healthy skin!" That did hurt. But, the girl he was tuning turned around and gave me a big kiss in front of him and he left, haha.

I guess the point of this post is, fuck worrying about acne. I know it's an easy thing to say and hard to do but I say get out of the comfort zone. There's too many adventures to be had. Chin up, remain positive and friendly with everyone and just rock out, letting the pieces fall where they may. I regret wasting years away not doing things I wanted to because I couldn't look in a mirror.

I strongly believe that acne has shaped the person I am today and that person is a lot stronger for having endured it. If you can remain optimistic, positive and friendly with acne... Imagine what you can do when the day finally comes when you're clear. It increases your social skills, your endurance and mental strength ten-fold. As a bonus, you know that every tight friend and girlfriend you have when you have severe acne is going to be a friend for life. Every normal friend you have are just naturally cool people because they don't care about trivial bullshit. There's so many cool people out there.

I'm currently booking a trip to South America. I hope to see other spotty faces on the trip, haha.

Thanks for reading and I hope it inspires someone to have an adventure.

Bon Voyage!

EDIT: I just realised how long this post was, I guess I got excited. Oops. Thanks for reading my novel.

sounds like you had a Benjamin button experience. While i'd love to take such a trip, i have work and school, and no free time.

thats soo cool! It must be soo beautiful there, and the food too. South America is gorgeous when you go down there. Alot of the people down there have FLAWLESS skin though lol =[

I think it's good to get away sometimes. However, there's a fine line between "getting away" and "running away". You and I are the same age. I'm finding this to be the most critical time of my life. For me, it's time to grow up and start my career.

I'm jealous!! did you get to go to night markets?!? pics or never happened :P

And I agree with endersshadow, my parents go through a lot of hardships so I can go to Uni so I can't like, take the trip of my life right now :cry: and I have no money at all lol, anyway, I seriously can't see myself traveling until I start to make good money and am graduated

it's great that you had the chance though, these kind of experiences mark your life eh :D

Hahaha, yeah I had the joys of night markets. They're very... Interesting. ;-).

endersshadow, I know what you mean about being the time to grow up. Perhaps I should clarify, I'll be doing volunteer work for the year I'm in South America. I graduate this year from university and I'll be working in my field so it's a logical career step. I don't think 22 is an age bracket to really stress about careers yet though, provided you're taking the steps. You either travel young or old if you want to do the kids thing...

natasha, how long were you in South America for? Whereabouts did you go? Everyone I speak to about it says they had a great experience.

I've always wanted to travel the world and meet all kinds of people. However the only place I've visited was Vietnam and it was a school trip.

I'm currently studying and have no money haha, but I'll definitely do this when I have the money and free time. It's good to be crazy once in a while!

I strongly believe that acne has shaped the person I am today and that person is a lot stronger for having endured it. If you can remain optimistic, positive and friendly with acne... Imagine what you can do when the day finally comes when you're clear. It increases your social skills, your endurance and mental strength ten-fold. As a bonus, you know that every tight friend and girlfriend you have when you have severe acne is going to be a friend for life

Awesome words!

Great outlook to have!