Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MARYGRASS

how to u get rid of oily skin permanently?

In 2007 my skin type was normal.

in the beggining of 2008 my skin became oily for some reason probably because i didn't shower frequently

now it's 2009 and im still stuck with oily skin

ps its always super oily on my nose and forehead

I want my normal skin type back!

- i don't wear makeup or anything

- now i shower daily

- i use facial cleansers for oily skin

- i tried using the avc but in the long run it changed the pH of my skin and made it even more oilyer

- i changed my diet and avoid oily, greasy food and junk food

- i always drink water

- i constantly pull my hair back to avoid it touching my face

- i always have tried oil blotting paper but after the oil is absorbed the oily comes back after 2 hours

- i use acne medications but now i don't need it because i don't have acne anymore

is there anyway i can change my skin type permanently? :pray:

So here's the deal. I also have very oily skin and I could greatly feel it before I began the regimen. What I found is that I over-exaggerated the methods needed to help my oily skin therefore making my skin dry. Every morning after I apply BP to my skin, I put on moisturizer with Jojoba Oil in it. I only put about 4 drops into the moisturizer and although your skin will seem very "oily" at first, it's not. For the first time ever your skin will be properly moisturized. I have found Jojoba Oil to be a miracle worker for my skin.

I know exactly how you feel! I had normal skin about five months ago, but I put too much product on it, dried it excessively, and am now stuck with super oily skin.

To stop oil all together, well that's accutane's job.

But to stop excess oil from going through your pores, that can be helped with Vilantae or vitamin b5.

You can search those on this site, or on google.

for both pills you need to take about 20 a day, but it will stop excess oil, leaving you with normal skin, as far as i have read about both.:)

I had normal skin about five months ago, but I put too much product on it, dried it excessively, and am now stuck with super oily skin.

You think this "product" that you applied (whatever it may be) made a permanent change in your skin's metabolism?

God, I really wish I was in your situation.

I used to have oily skin, after 2 years of trying to treat my acne, now I have very dry skin. Tight, flaky, irritated all the time. I would die to be able to get out of the shower, dress, and leave, but I cant because my face is that dry.

Just letting you see another side of the story. I always say I would love to have oily skin over dry skin anyday.

Also, have you ever tried a mattifying moisturizer? I know theres a few out there, but I recently stumbled upon one called "OC Eight Professional Mattifying Gel" Its a bit expensive because its generally only sold by dermatologists, however like everything you can find it on the internet. It wont change your oil production, but it will help make your skin look more matte throughout the day and less oily and its supposed to work for up to 8 hours.

I used to have oily skin, after 2 years of trying to treat my acne, now I have very dry skin. Tight, flaky, irritated all the time. I would die to be able to get out of the shower, dress, and leave, but I cant because my face is that dry.

Just letting you see another side of the story. I always say I would love to have oily skin over dry skin anyday.

You seem to be making the same assumption that so many other people on this forum make, which is that sebum alleviates dry skin. But that assumption is very risky, and almost certainly false. I've presented evidence in previous posts that sebum isn't associated with healthy (non-dry) skin, so you don't need to feel that you would "love" to have oily skin again! :)

Is there really any hope? I mean only thing I've heard is accutane and even thats not guaranteed to stop oil production when you're done with your course... sigh...

Do NOT trust mattifying moisturizers. Try oil-free moisturizers, best if it's water based. ^^ I used to consume 10 oil blotching papers/day, now after using Celeteque water based/oil free moisturizer, I use up 2 to 3 papers/day. You might also want to sweat it out. (Like going to the gym, running a mile, etc.) Our sweat glands help clear the clogged sebum within the hair follicles and impacted dead skin cells in our pores.

You can try massaging essential oils into your skin.

Orange oil, lemon oil, lavender, and peppermint really help regulate your sebum production, as well as helping clear the skin.

Try taking Omega 3 Vitamins 2x a day, my face is way less oily and it worked in a couple of weeks this was great for me because when I go to school my face gets really oily specially in the summer.

Try taking Omega 3 Vitamins 2x a day, my face is way less oily and it worked in a couple of weeks this was great for me because when I go to school my face gets really oily specially in the summer.

Oh and aside from getting omega 3 (i take 2 to 3 softgel capsules per day) try witch hazel extract too. XD I'm loving it at the moment. :dance:

So im just curious why you dont trust mattifying moisturizers?

The majority of the ones i know of are oil free, water based mositurizers. The only difference is they add a few extra ingredients that absorb excess oil the same way blotting sheets do but with less hassle.

everything that you listed is great for your skin overall. but you can't really change your oil production externally. you have to stop the oil production at the source...your hormones--->your sebaceous glands. the androgens are what tell the glands to produce the oil to lubricate your skin, which im sure you know. medication like accutane decrease the oil production up to 80%, but that would be excessive and useless considering acne is not a big issue for you. researching what works for you internally will help reduce the oily skin.

and what you said about your oily forehead and nose is common among most people. it's called the "T-zone." you are not alone.

oh, and overwashing your face can increase oily skin. when you wash your face frequently, it dries your skin instantly. so your skin senses that it needs to lubricate it to make up for the dryness, in turn producing even more oil. to avoid this, stick to washing gently only twice a day. but feel free to rinse with water in moderation throughout the day.

thats exactly how i am. ive been taking 2 omega 3 fatty acid pills every day now. its better than when i took B5, because it didnt break me out or take too long. but idc about my skin in the summer as much because the sun covers a lot of stuff up and then i can go swimming and work out to conceal the oil.

the androgens are what tell the glands to produce the oil to lubricate your skin, which im sure you know.

I certainly agree that androgens make the sebaceous glands produce oil, but I'm curious to know why you think the skin needs to be "lubricated"! :)

oh, and overwashing your face can increase oily skin. when you wash your face frequently, it dries your skin instantly. so your skin senses that it needs to lubricate it to make up for the dryness, in turn producing even more oil.

I can tell already that you're a newbie here! Washing doesn't cause the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. That's a myth that's been disposed of for a long time around here.

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

Good luck on your quest with all those costly products. I already shared my secret and I don't care on those who will ask for any scientific proofs to back this up. try this for yourselves and see the difference!

:wub:

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

Really? Test yourself with Sebutape test-strips, and see if the amount of oil on your face starts to decrease after 4 days! :dance:

the androgens are what tell the glands to produce the oil to lubricate your skin, which im sure you know.

I certainly agree that androgens make the sebaceous glands produce oil, but I'm curious to know why you think the skin needs to be "lubricated"! :)

oh, and overwashing your face can increase oily skin. when you wash your face frequently, it dries your skin instantly. so your skin senses that it needs to lubricate it to make up for the dryness, in turn producing even more oil.

I can tell already that you're a newbie here! Washing doesn't cause the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. That's a myth that's been disposed of for a long time around here.

no, not a newbie. acne sufferer over 4 years now and have been a member since novemeber. i wish i was a newbie, in fact i wish i was completely naiive of acne. dryness makes perfect sense in terms of over washing, but could you send me the link of the thread that disproved it, please? i really want to read it now.

dryness makes perfect sense in terms of over washing, but could you send me the link of the thread that disproved it, please? i really want to read it now.

Use the Search function to find the following threads:

"The myth of skin washing and sebum production", Acne Research Forum.

"Still more evidence against the 'feedback theory' ", Acne Research Forum.

"FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", Acne Research Forum.

when you mentioned you have used AVC, do you mean ACV as in Apple Cider Vinegar?

If yes, that was the only thing that cured my oily face.

Unlike you, I have had oily face for ages.

Very Very Oily, 10/10 in oiliness factor.

I started using Undiluted Organic Apple CIder Vinegar as a toner after I wash my face, then followed by using 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, and a Light Oil Free Moisturizer.

Thas has helped my face stayed dry for the past week.

The only drawback to the APple Cider Vinegar is it can make your skin peel a bit, and it STINKS.

But hell with that. I'd rather have Dry Skin Albeit smelly one.

Good Luck.