Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riverwild

Pure homemade makeup - cheap & eco-friendly

After years of searching for non-comedogenic makeup, I finally resorted to creating my own PURE, homemade makeup to cover up my acne scars.

• Colorants (iron oxides, carmine, micas) - WHOLESALECOLORS.COM (1 ounce $2.50)
  • Titanium Dioxide - ESSENTIALWHOLESALE.COM (1 pound - $9.68)
  • Silk powder - NEWDIRECTIONSAROMATICS.COM (3.3 oz $14)

Silk powder is the only thing that actually absorbs oil well for a longer period of time. In fact, you could use silk powder alone.

You can make homemade lip balms with olive oil, beeswax, and red iron oxide.

The pure, homemade products have worked better than commercial products that have comedogenic fillers, and they're very easy to make.

You'll be able to save a lot of money while avoiding comegodenic ingredients.

A sample (teaspoon) of WholesaleColors.com brown iron oxide for eyebrows ($0.99) can last you for what seems to be an eternity. The red iron oxide seems to last forever, too.

Making your own makeup is a way of controlling what goes onto your skin. For people prone to acne, this is critical.

I actually got tired of reading ingredient lists of different brands. To be quite honest - they all broke me out. I formed my own makeup out of necessity.

Some people go really natural - arrowroot powder for face, slice of red beet for lips, and cocoa powder for eyebrows - all from your grocery section.

Arrowroot is a starch used to thicken soups, sauces, etc. It's used in organic makeup, too. Or you can use cornstarch which is popular in makeup and baby powder. Zinc oxide is used in body powders as well.

They also recommend using a little kaolin clay in face powders for adhesion.

You can adjust the color by using red iron oxide, yellow iron oxide, etc. Yes, it's incredibly cheap, but, most important, it's cleaner than most cosmetic formulations.

It's easy to mix, and you can affix your own label on it. Designing your own labels is quite fun, and you forget about acne when you're being creative.

WholesaleColors.com and others sell individual containers for beginners to experiment with homemade makeup. They have cute lip balm and mineral powder jars.

You can search for homemade mineral makeup recipes, but WholesaleColors.com supplies them, too.

You can use a number of ingredients:

* Cornstarch (in makeup and body powders)

* Arrowroot powder (starch used in organic makeup)

* Titanium Dioxide (used in sunscreens and makeup)

* Zinc Oxide (used in sunscreens and body powders)

* Silk powder (proteins similar to skin)

* Kaolin clay (use a pinch for adhesion) - $1.50 sample

You can use plain cornstarch and a pinch of kaolin, or blend other ingredients. Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide adhere fairly well to the skin, but other powders need a little kaolin clay.

Guest missyjean130

know how to make LIQUID mineral makeup?

My skin isnt really oily anymore and my other mineral powder dries up my skin =(

After years of searching for non-comedogenic makeup, I finally resorted to creating my own PURE, homemade makeup to cover up my acne scars.

• Colorants (iron oxides, carmine, micas) - WHOLESALECOLORS.COM (1 ounce $2.50)
  • Titanium Dioxide - ESSENTIALWHOLESALE.COM (1 pound - $9.68)
  • Silk powder - NEWDIRECTIONSAROMATICS.COM (3.3 oz $14)

Silk powder is the only thing that actually absorbs oil well for a longer period of time. In fact, you could use silk powder alone.

You can make homemade lip balms with olive oil, beeswax, and red iron oxide.

The pure, homemade products have worked better than commercial products that have comedogenic fillers, and they're very easy to make.

I have tried to make home made foundation. I used 2 tbsp of corn starch, baby powder w/titanium dioxide, and then I added powder foundation some powder, and lotion. Then, I added a little regular foundation. The problem is it is to dry and blotches up sort of when I apply it. Did I do something wrong? Maybe add too much of something? Please let me know if you have an answer thank you. This was just an experiment anyways.