Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shotgun_willie

Accutane and Scar Treatments?

Ok, so I am currently on accutane, and I have read on this board a 1000 times not to undergo any scar treatments until I've been off the tane for a year. What I would like to know is, what are the risks exactly? Making new scars? Are these risks a certainty, or just a possibility? Anyone ever cheat on these rules? Horror Stories maybe? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Currently, I want to get 3 boxcar scars excised, and some follow up dermabrasion. I really hope that I don't have to spend another year looking like Edward James Olmos. (no offense Ed)

Without any evidence, I believe the 6 months thing is bogus. First off, everyone recovers differently, so 6 months definitely errs on the side of safety. Second, I just don't see it. I personally feel that most scar treatments can be undertaken during accutane.

Now let the nay sayers yell at me.

Without any evidence, I believe the 6 months thing is bogus. First off, everyone recovers differently, so 6 months definitely errs on the side of safety. Second, I just don't see it. I personally feel that most scar treatments can be undertaken during accutane.

Now let the nay sayers yell at me.

Thanks for the reply, that was the answer that I wanted to hear! lol

You should listen to others though too, that's just what I personally believe. I underwent treatments while on accutane and it didn't mess anything up with me, but I don't want to be held responsible for anything and I have no real knowledge of anything medical.

Yeah, shotgun, that's what I'm kind of wondering too. I'm going to do ultra low dose accutane for an undetermined amount of time, but I'd also like to dermaroll. I know at first mention, this sounds horrifying, but I wonder how ultra low dose accutane would affect wound healing -- like 5-10 mg per week. Yeah, ULTRA low dose.

Very interesting, hoursafter, that you healed fine. What did you have done? How long did it take to heal?

Cortisone injections, v-beam (pulsed dye laser), and I even did a fraxel test spot. The fraxel is the one that worried me but it didn't make the scar look any worse but it didn't help much either. It was basically a wash.

I feel like dermarolling wouldn't be too bad since the injuries are so small, I think you just want to avoid major injuries while on accutane. I think I scarred more easily when I would get like a scrape and scab on my body from playing rugby. But those are extreme and uncontrolled wounds compared to a needle points.

I was worried about the same thing. I had been off of accutane (high dose) for 6 months, and was scheduled for profractional. Two docs said 6 months was fine, so I went ahead with the procedure. It worked out well. As far as being ON Accutane and getting excisions... sounds a bit risky. Why would you want to risk the possibility of creating new and larger scars? In my opinion, best to wait the 6 months.

i dont think it is a good idea to undergo a treatment while on accutane. of course every skin is different, and maybe it wouldnt do any harm to you. i was on accutane for over 8 months, and my skin was horrible during that time. every tiny pimple took forever and ever to heal and also left weird marks. i think that is the main risk, that the skin doesnt heal the same way it would heal without accutane. i would really wait until your skin gets back to normal, it is not worth the risk to have treatments which heal in a way that doesnt satisfy you. just be patient for 3 months or so, until you have the feeling your skin acts normal again, and then consider a treatment.

i dont think it is a good idea to undergo a treatment while on accutane. of course every skin is different, and maybe it wouldnt do any harm to you. i was on accutane for over 8 months, and my skin was horrible during that time. every tiny pimple took forever and ever to heal and also left weird marks. i think that is the main risk, that the skin doesnt heal the same way it would heal without accutane. i would really wait until your skin gets back to normal, it is not worth the risk to have treatments which heal in a way that doesnt satisfy you. just be patient for 3 months or so, until you have the feeling your skin acts normal again, and then consider a treatment.

Ya, I think it might be prudent to wait on the more invasive stuff, at least till I'm actually off the stuff.