Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
conf22

second accutane course

I am on accutane for the second time. Just wondering if anyone had to take it twice and been clear?

I just dont want to be taking this stuff for the rest of my life.

When I went on the first time it was pretty bad. I cleared completely by end of 7month course.

Started coming back about 3 months later. It is pretty bad now, almost as bad as it was originally. Wierd thing is after the course I began breaking out in my forehead a lot (which wasn't really a problem area for me.).

It's just you always hear people say "lots of people need a second or third course" but I am wondering if anyone actually cures after the second/third course..

When I went on the first time it was pretty bad. I cleared completely by end of 7month course.

Started coming back about 3 months later. It is pretty bad now, almost as bad as it was originally. Wierd thing is after the course I began breaking out in my forehead a lot (which wasn't really a problem area for me.).

It's just you always hear people say "lots of people need a second or third course" but I am wondering if anyone actually cures after the second/third course..

I have heard from my derm (although they all day something different, kind of hate them, personally lol) that if a second round of accutane is needed there is a greater chance that a third course will be needed as well, but that the acne gets more and more tolerable after each course. So really, it just depends on the severity of your acne.

I had moderate acne in high school with occasional cysts that would take months to go away. My face was always worse than my body, and within a month I was clear on my first course of acctuane. I was on a 5 month course, and am about to go on a second course as well. After a year of being off the drug my acne has come back but it isn't as bad as it was before, so I am hoping this will be my last course.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I'm also about to start my second course (mid-Feb). My first course was about 11 months - normal to high doseage. Stayed perfect for about 6 months, then it came back. It's more inflamed this time, but no cysts. So, in some ways it's better, and others it's worse.

I'm wondering the same thing - about remission rates. My derm said some people need three or more courses. I'm wondering if it's better to do a bunch of full-blown courses, or just do maintanence at a low dose. I try looking stuff up (statistics, etc) on this topic, but the search engines just spit out so much garbage on tane - it's too difficult to weed through.

I have heard from my derm (although they all day something different, kind of hate them, personally lol) that if a second round of accutane is needed there is a greater chance that a third course will be needed as well, but that the acne gets more and more tolerable after each course. So really, it just depends on the severity of your acne.

I had moderate acne in high school with occasional cysts that would take months to go away. My face was always worse than my body, and within a month I was clear on my first course of acctuane. I was on a 5 month course, and am about to go on a second course as well. After a year of being off the drug my acne has come back but it isn't as bad as it was before, so I am hoping this will be my last course.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I think we have a similar situation. My skin has no cysts but it's just very inflamed as well. I went to my derm today, and am going to start accutane on March 3. I'm a girl and I live in the US so I have to wait a month to actually go on the damn drug. Looks like we are all in this together!

I hope this works though, because my derm told me she will not put me on a third course. She's kind of against putting people on more courses because she thinks the acne will always return, even if it does get more and more tolerable with each course. I didn't have to beg her though, which surprised me considering getting on the drug the first time was really hard for me to do. I went through two years of trying everything before she let me go on it. But today, she took one look at me and went, "Okay yeah, we need to do a second course of accutane."

Is a 2nd course more dangerous? Will its toxicity build up in your body?

I'll ask my derm these things as well.