Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreatSkinAhead

I had Restylane injected for my scars

I have a few deep scars from acne. I also have some acne scars that are not as deep. Since almost everything I have read indicates that lasers do nothing for acne scars (especially deeper ones like I have), I have really wanted to try temporary filler. I am fine with it being temporary since I once had silicone injected (a permanent filler) and am now left with permanent bumps. With temp. fillers, you will need to have a few hundred dollars to spend every 6 months.

The day of: I was disappointed that the plastic surgeon said he could not inject the shallower scars because they are not deep enough for filler (hoping Retin-A and peels work for those). To reduce bruising and swelling, I ate lots of green vegetables, fresh pineapple and took Arnica Montana supplements in advance. I also abstained from alcohol for 4 or 5 days and took no asprin or Advil (tylenol is okay). I did not bruise at all! I recommend that you eat a big breakfast and have a cold soda or juice drink with you in the room if you are a person who faints. The soda kept me from fainting. Even with the numbing cream and the dental block, it was still a bit painful and unpleasant. I iced afterwards and several times throughout the day. I am pleased with the results so far. I could feel the product the first few days and it felt a bit firm and weird. It has since softened and settled down. Restylane is available in a 1/2 syringe which is all you need if you do not have that many deep scars. Most patients like Juvederm better (it is softer and lasts longer) but it is only available in a full syringe which is more product that I need for my scars. I hope this information helps someone.

Hi, KarmicKandy. I went to a plastic surgeon. He charges the same for 1/2 syringe of Restylane as local dermatologists (they all charge around $350 unless there is a special running). It seems scars have to be pretty deep to be injected. My scars that he said are too shallow are visible but they are not ice pick deep. Maybe different doctors feel differently about injecting shallower ones. I don't know. Hope that helps.

Hi,

How deep do the scars need to be to be injected?

Did you go to a derm or a plastic surgeon?

Thanks!

I have done both Restylane and Juvederm, and I prefer Restylane. They say Juvederm is softer but I think you have to factor in how your skin reacts to it after it is injected. For me Juvederm felt harder after a few days, while Restylane after a few days felt softer.

Plus a couple of my injection sites with Juvederm were over-corrected and were lumpy for several months. That never happened with Restylane. Restylane is initially harder and that may be a benefit in pushing up the scars.

Anyway that is my experience with both of them. I highly recommend Restylane. It is good for board saucer shaped scars, but it is not good for ice-pick scars. The overall depth is not so much of an issue as long as the scar edges are not too steep

ok. now i'm confused. i want to get it in my saucer scars, so if they're not too deep, can i get it?

If not,What is too deep?

What are "board" saucer scars?

Oops, I meant broad, which means not having steep edges here. If you have shallow saucer shaped scars, then yes it should work great for you! It will work on deep ones too. It is only ice picks scars that it doesn't work very well at correcting.

A lot of your response to fillers such as Restylane will depend on how tightly bound your scars are to the surrounding tissue. To test this, take your hands stretch your skin on either side of your scars. If your scars flatten out and your skin becomes more even that means your scars are not that tightly bound down and you are excellent candidate for fillers. If you do the stretch test and your scars stay down and don't flatten out very much at all then you won't get as good of results. If they are really tightly bound down you can try subsicion to loosen them. Mine were/are not tightly bound.

I hope this helps, please pardon my typos.

Hello,

Just wondering, if temporary fillers were combined with say laser treatments, would it encourage new collagen growth as the filler dissipates and maybe fill in the scar? Seems like it might.

Thanks!

Hmm I am planning on injecting myself with Restylane pretty soon. I am confused with how deep a scar has to be to inject. Can I inject less into the more shallow scars? What are the risks of injecting more shallow scars?