Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadliest catch

scar treatments with so much risk.

I find a lot of people including myself that are lead to believe that some of these treatments will improve your scars but all it basically is, is peeling off layers of skin or injurying your skin in the hopes of improving it. how can you guys think that peeling off a layer is going to regenerate new normal looking skin when the bodys only healing mechanism is scar formation.

the only real way for success is for your body not to trigger scar formation in these treatments.

although I do see that small needling does no harm, but how can you burn off your face or sand it down? even cut it out and sew it up?

harsh treatments like, sanding, burning, and cutting. don't sound like answers to me... :wall:

do any of you guys see where I'm coming from?

I personally don't think taking risks is worth it, having a proven answer would seem better.

for me i've given up on it, for now il just wait till there something more proven and hopefully solve some other problems in my life as I wait.

I find a lot of people including myself that are lead to believe that some of these treatments will improve your scars but all it basically is, is peeling off layers of skin or injurying your skin in the hopes of improving it. how can you guys think that peeling off a layer is going to regenerate new normal looking skin when the bodys only healing mechanism is scar formation.

the only real way for success is for your body not to trigger scar formation in these treatments.

although I do see that small needling does no harm, but how can you burn off your face or sand it down? even cut it out and sew it up?

thats basically what there is for treatments, sanding, burning, cutting. these don't sound like answers to me... :wall:

I personally don't think taking risks is worth it, having a proven answer would seem better.

for me i've given up on it, for now il just wait till there something more proven and hopefully solve some other problems in my life as I wait.

you forgot rolling in your list of treatments..rolling and individual needling with proper topicals is not burning, or cutting, or sanding..lots of threads going on right now..maybe you should take a look as it is a different option to the list you mentioned..

thats basically what there is for treatments, sanding, burning, cutting. these don't sound like answers to me... :wall:

you forgot rolling in your list of treatments..rolling and individual needling with proper topicals is not burning, or cutting, or sanding..lots of threads going on right now..maybe you should take a look as it is a different option to the list you mentioned..

your right. im just listing the treatments that dont make sense to me, rolling does make sense as i can take a needle and poke myself all the way to the bone and not scar from it.

I completely agree. After reading these boards for quite some time now, it seems that most people say all of their efforts actually made their scars worse. Like you, I have also given up on current methods, and am holding out hope for future methods - such as regeneration - that will promise 100% safe and effective results.

I'm no expert, but... I wouldn't even consider dermarolling, it looks extremely painful and rolling needles all over your face just doesn't seem like a real solution to me.

As for cutting... I can see it in some cases. My box scar is deep and the size of a dime and being able to cut it out and deal with a much smaller line scar is definitely something I can work with. From there, I imagine there are different vitamins and such that can help reduce scarring when healing from surgery.

I completely agree. After reading these boards for quite some time now, it seems that most people say all of their efforts actually made their scars worse. Like you, I have also given up on current methods, and am holding out hope for future methods - such as regeneration - that will promise 100% safe and effective results.

having your scar getting worse its just so draining you on its hard to deal with. doesnt make sense why people are flipping a coin on there face.

I'm no expert, but... I wouldn't even consider dermarolling, it looks extremely painful and rolling needles all over your face just doesn't seem like a real solution to me.

As for cutting... I can see it in some cases. My box scar is deep and the size of a dime and being able to cut it out and deal with a much smaller line scar is definitely something I can work with. From there, I imagine there are different vitamins and such that can help reduce scarring when healing from surgery.

there isnt a guarantee that it will be a thin liner scar, it could have stitch holes, the skin might not heal right. it might still be indented. it could make it longer. it isn't a sure thing. its a coin flip.

I'm sorry, but you sound awfully misinformed. Just because some people have seen their scars get worse after treatment, does not mean it happens to everyone. Obviously, there's a reason people continue to pursue these treatments. I know doctors are not saints or perfect by any means, but most would not continue to offer a treatment that has no shot of making things better. I have seen pictures with my own eyes of dermabrasion before and afters that have been extremely impressive. I have read stories from people I trust that say that their scarring has vastly improved after CO2. If you are lucky enough to heal well, you are likely to have good to excellent results. Not everyone is a horror story, so please stop putting that into people's heads. Very few things in life are risk free. If you are looking for a sure thing anywhere in life, you are likely to be disappointed.

I've been following these recent threads about scarless healing and stem cell treatment with an open mind, but that doesn't mean that I will not pursue every avenue available in the meantime. But I've seen some posts from people who apparently are putting any kind of treatment on hold waiting for 100% regeneration and it doesn't make sense to me. It's not like it's going to happen overnight. Why not do what you can in the meantime to improve your situation? Present treatments for scarring are not perfect, but they are not hopeless.

Some of the "harsh" treatments you mentioned worked for me.

Although, I believe you're right in a few respects. Resurfacing procedures will not LIFT a depressed scar. The only 2 methods I know of that will *permanently* treat a DEPRESSED scar are:

1. Rolling/Boxcar scars:

Subdermal grafting - placing your own tissue under the scar to make it level.

2. Icepick scars:

Punch floats - a procedure to completely remove the scar.

These procedures, followed by resurfacing, have proven to be very beneficial.

I don't think there's any resurfacing method which will eradicate scarring, unless the scarring is completely superficial and limited to hypo/hyper pigmentation.

me personally i dont believe these treatments are effective. if there are horror storys then i wouldn't trust it. I wish there were before and after pictures of bad results so people know what could happen to them.

well there are new treatments like rolling and soon hopefully stem cells. these two are newer. I personally would rather wait and see if these new methods will better treat myself. im not going to spend money on a treatment that will make my situation worse.

im not a gambler.