Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yo Adrienne!

still insecure, even with clear skin

my skin is now 100% clear because of accutane, but i still have a few red marks that really dont look too bad. i spent the night at a friends house last night and took off my makeup for bed. this morning i was just as self conscious as if my skin was broke out! i thought the red marks looked awful, but when i looked in the mirror, they were barely noticable. i wonder if i'll ever get over the insecurities that acne has caused.

its like that phantom limb syndrome. like when someone loses an arm of leg but they still feel like its there. i know how u feel. my skin is clearing up great. but i feel like i should expect to see it when i look in the mirror.

My cousin suffered from the same thing. It'll take awhile to go away he said. But you have to keep telling yourself that you look fine and after having people compliment you and such, the insecurities will go away. Congrats on getting better!!!! =]v

I think you should do something in bright lights or under the sun that you wouldn't do when you had acne or maybe talk to that guy you like. You might be nervous but when you realize that you're completely clear. Like jumping all in to cold water instead of going little by little. That's just my two cents, I'm sure you'll be fine! Clear skin sounds so beautiful to me right now.

I think you should do something in bright lights or under the sun that you wouldn't do when you had acne or maybe talk to that guy you like. You might be nervous but when you realize that you're completely clear. Like jumping all in to cold water instead of going little by little. That's just my two cents, I'm sure you'll be fine! Clear skin sounds so beautiful to me right now.

i actually have gone out and done a lot of things that i normally didnt do when my skin looked so bad! like staying the night at a friends house for example haha. i have tons of confidence when i have makeup on because i know it covers all my red spots. its just weird to take off my make up and have nothing to hide behind. hopefully with time i wont be so insecure without makeup.

i actually have gone out and done a lot of things that i normally didnt do when my skin looked so bad! like staying the night at a friends house for example haha. i have tons of confidence when i have makeup on because i know it covers all my red spots. its just weird to take off my make up and have nothing to hide behind. hopefully with time i wont be so insecure without makeup.

Oh, without make up. I think in time your red marks will fade and your insecurity will fade, so everything's going to great for you, haha. Soon enough you won't even need to wear make up!

Yeah, I'm having this exact problem as well. I haven't had a breakout in 3 weeks, and only have a few red marks left. Every now and then I'm talking to someone and I'm thinking, "Oh my gosh, I'm sure they think my acne is super ugly" even though I'm 100% clear. It's slowly going away, but it can still be killer on my self-esteem every now and then. I also still get kind of jealous of people with clear skin, even though mine is probably as good as theirs now.

me 2 (about the clear skin). but he's right. do stuff u wouldn't do with acne. go out. have fun!! live a little more than u would've before. just tell yourself ur beautiful and the insecurities will go away with time.

How nice of you to describe my life after I cleared up in early 2008. I look in different mirrors to see how my face looks. If it's not the bathroom mirror, it is the car mirror I look at, which shatters my confidence for the day. I'm getting over it though. I wonder how long it takes for these emotional scars to go away. I hope that they're unlike the ones I have on my face, and that they can be healed easily. Time will tell.

First of all:

Congrats on getting better!

As to overcoming insecurities. Hm, why don't you try "being yourself"? :)

First of all:

Congrats on getting better!

As to overcoming insecurities. Hm, why don't you try "being yourself"? :)

hahah "being yourself" doesnt help you overcome physical insecurities. you could be the nicest most liked person in the world and still feel ugly! its nothing about that... its just that i still feel like my skin looks bad even though it doesnt. ive had acne for 10 years.. so now that its gone, i still feel like my skin looks bad.

^So your face isn't the only physical insecurity you have? There is no need of any competition with anybody. You are yourself, and as you are, you are perfectly good. Accept yourself (Osho). The memories of acne restrict you from seeing the truth. Your skin has improved tremendously. As just another member of the site, all I see is how beautiful you are. The positive posts and encouragement you supply are what I use to define a true beauty. You may still feel ugly after this, but if you start looking at life with joy, the sadness starts to disappear. Cheer up, you have nothing to be insecure about in my eyes. The honest truth.

^So your face isn't the only physical insecurity you have? There is no need of any competition with anybody. You are yourself, and as you are, you are perfectly good. Accept yourself (Osho). The memories of acne restrict you from seeing the truth. Your skin has improved tremendously. As just another member of the site, all I see is how beautiful you are. The positive posts and encouragement you supply are what I use to define a true beauty. You may still feel ugly after this, but if you start looking at life with joy, the sadness starts to disappear. Cheer up, you have nothing to be insecure about in my eyes. The honest truth.

aww that was sooo nice! i really appreciate that. and its not that i think im ugly... im a decent looking girl and i put a lot of effort into my appearance. i am actually very confident except when it comes to my skin. everyone has physical traits that they arent super fond of. but as someone else described it as the "phantom limb syndrome"... even if my skin is clear and looks good... im just used to being self conscious about it. i think it will just take time.

I am experiencing the same exact thing having recently gotten clear after a long battle.

To be honest I don't know if it ever goes away, the feelings of insecurity.

I think it may be like the overweight child who was ridiculed in high school and then grew up dropped the weight and became super successful, thin, and attractive.

Mentally and physically she knows she has become a truly beautiful, worthwhile, blessed woman.

But deep inside, emotionally some part of her will always be the fat girl who was teased.

Just my take on the emotional effects of acne. And maybe it's not a bad thing to remember how far you came....

I have it too! Although I know my acne isn't so bad, my scars are "horrific" to me. I have little bumps all over the cheek areas from where the pregnancy acne was. I can not stand to look at a mirror though. Looking at old pics of my crystal clear beautiful skin makes me depressed! Buuuut, time heals ALL wounds and scars. If it took a long time to get there it will take a little while to go away! Sometimes they can take up to a year they say. You are beuatiful and I know what ur feeling. Hang in there ur confidence will be back at 100% and those feelings will be a thing of the past!

Oh my god I feel exactly the same way! My skin is clear now, but I still feel super insecure for some reason. And I'm really confident about everything but my skin. I KNOW that I'm beautiful, but I always feel like it's being brought down by my crappy skin. And now that it's clear... I feel the same. So weird.

same here, girl. i dont like anyone but my mom and boyfriend seeing me without makeup, cause my face is still a bit red. suzy from 6 months ago would have kicked my ass for being such a baby :lol:

same problem here..even when i'm clear i'm paranoid. sometimes i think "omg am i breaking out or when is my next break out???'' i guess the only thing i can say is enjoy the clear skin you have, remember your skin is clear, and stay positive about it! & your not alone on this issue!!