Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pandaboy

I totally cracked it tonight

So I'm with the family after dinner just quietly enjoying the tennis on TV, and outta nowhere my auntie (who is known as having no tact), just comes over in the living room and yells out "Hey, they are showing this documentary on the lifestyle channel on how to cure acne, you should watch it!".

This was in front of everyone in the room, . . . I was so embarrassed I just wanted to curl up and die. She then comes over and tries to make amends and mentions how nice my skin is looking tonight. At that point I just cracked it and said "FFS, can I get through a f*&king nite without someone mentioning or discussing my skin??!!"

Fair to say she got the message after that.

Seriously I am finding these family gatherings harder and harder. Every time someone will seem to offer their advice, like the latest blurb they read in a magazine or the latest infomerical and what I should be trying. Pisses me off that they simply do not understand the definition of "tact".

Awwww. I'm sorry. =[ That was really unthoughtful of her. Sometimes people with no acne don't really understand how a person with acne feels. I guess she was trying to help, but that really wasn't the way to go. =/ It does suck, having family members and friends giving you suggestions for your face. It's nice of them to try and help, but if you're bothered by it just tell them. I'm sure they'll sort of understand and leave you be.

Thanks for your comments mochichan. Members of my family simply do not understand the definition of the word tact. And I totally agree, people who have never been "blessed" with this disease will NEVER understand how this makes us feel no matter what you say to them.

The thing that pisses me off the most is those idiots that think you don't wash your face or have a hygene problem.

BTW from your avatar I can tell you are very attractive.

Haha. Thanks. =]

Family members usually try to just help out...but they don't really know how. Telling you that he/she just saw a acne documentary does NOT help at all. Lol. Seriously, some people think acne is a contagious disease. My dad always tells me to wash my face to get rid of the "disease." If I keep washing my face, I'll have no skin left...hmmm wonder how that'll work that.

But just ignore them or tell them that they fail at helping. Haha. =] If you ever need to vent or need to hear someone make stupid comments, etc. you can always msg me or something.

i totally understand. on thanksgiving, we had a house full of company and in front of all the people my age that are my mom's friend's children, my sister goes...."umm your skin is looking really bad. you should use proactiv."

and this is like 2 wks into my accutane course when she said that. it makes them look like the idiot. i dont even respond when she says stuff anymore. like today she was like, um i dont think your accutane is working. i dont even respond with anything regarding my skin. shes an idiot. and she should just keep her opinions to herself.

i totally understand. on thanksgiving, we had a house full of company and in front of all the people my age that are my mom's friend's children, my sister goes...."umm your skin is looking really bad. you should use proactiv."

and this is like 2 wks into my accutane course when she said that. it makes them look like the idiot. i dont even respond when she says stuff anymore. like today she was like, um i dont think your accutane is working. i dont even respond with anything regarding my skin. shes an idiot. and she should just keep her opinions to herself.

Wow your sister is just soooooo insensitive, she needs a slap in the face. At least my sister has some tact and understands that saying something, especially in front of other people makes me feel really uncomfortable. It's always only the elders which make the comments in my case.

Next time just tell her if you have nothing constructive to say just shut the hell up!

Haha. Thanks. =]

Family members usually try to just help out...but they don't really know how. Telling you that he/she just saw a acne documentary does NOT help at all. Lol. Seriously, some people think acne is a contagious disease. My dad always tells me to wash my face to get rid of the "disease." If I keep washing my face, I'll have no skin left...hmmm wonder how that'll work that.

But just ignore them or tell them that they fail at helping. Haha. =] If you ever need to vent or need to hear someone make stupid comments, etc. you can always msg me or something.

Thanks :) It just still amazes me how ignorant and clueless some people are some times. Some people really are complete morons. . .

Cheers for the offer, cos I feel there is no one in the world I can vent or discuss my problems with. Seems like this is the only channel I can vent my frustrations cos noone else will trully understand.

And just a final comment - Dematologists are total IDIOTS and the profession should be banned.

Good. Your aunt deserved to hear that. I would have said something much ruder. My aunts used to ask stupid questions about my skin, and they would ask if I try washing it. I said no I've tried that because it sounds crazy, but I am going to the sink to use soap and water right now. The disturbing part was they bought my sarcasm, and they really believed I have never washed my face.

You mentioned tact. Well, you're going to meet plenty of people in the world who don't have it. They're rude and insensitive. It's not a fun place to be, but don't let that fact get you too down. There are some wonderful people to meet, and you can find a majority of them here. It helps your feelings to come and vent on this website. I encourage you to do more of it.

to the poster above, i don't think that the documentary would've told us anything that we don't know already. Like for instance, in magazines that have headlines like, "how to get your best skin ever" or "how to fix all your skin problems," they always mention the same few things:

* use b/p or salicyclic acid (big mistake usually)

* exfoliate gently

* get more sleep

* use a good moisturizer

* exercise

* don't overeat junk

and then they'll usually have a list of new lotions and creams to try out.

It's never anything new :(

I die each time everyone mentions my skin condition.

To be perfectly honest I don't think your Aunt deserved those harsh words. I do not know her of course, but it seems like she was just trying to help. A mild version of the same thing would have been perfect.

Either ways, you sure taught her :).

I die each time everyone mentions my skin condition.

To be perfectly honest I don't think your Aunt deserved those harsh words. I do not know her of course, but it seems like she was just trying to help. A mild version of the same thing would have been perfect.

Either ways, you sure taught her :).

Yeh thinking back now I may have been a little too extreme in my words, but really it was an accumulation of comments over time that made me "crack". I LITERALLY cannot get through a family gathering without someone mentioning, discussing or offering some kind of cure, or something I should try to fix my skin. For once I just want to be treated like everyone else and not be the focus of attention because of my condition.

People who have never had skin issues will NEVER have an understanding of how hurtful these seemingly 'innocent' comments can be.

Doctors and dermatologists really need some training on tact aswell. I have been to doctors who have made comments like "wow your skin is pretty bad". It is this lack of empathy that is really lacking in their professions.